C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 (66) Replacing Body Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 PM
blue66
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C2 (66) Replacing Body Mounts

I have a 66 Coupe with body on and under car exhaust. I want to replace the body mounts and managed to get mount #1 loose on the drivers side. My plan is to replace mount #1 with the rest of the mounts on the drivers side still in place. I loosened the radiator support and was able to raise the body off the frame enough to get everything loose at the mount but not high enough to get the old cushion assembly out of the mount. Am I going about this all wrong? Do I need to get mounts 3 and 4 separated and lift the entire side? Not really looking forward to working on those mount locations.

I have been reading all the archive posts about body mounts and thought this should work. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:20 PM
drrigg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blue66
I have a 66 Coupe with body on and under car exhaust. I want to replace the body mounts and managed to get mount #1 loose on the drivers side. My plan is to replace mount #1 with the rest of the mounts on the drivers side still in place. I loosened the radiator support and was able to raise the body off the frame enough to get everything loose at the mount but not high enough to get the old cushion assembly out of the mount. Am I going about this all wrong? Do I need to get mounts 3 and 4 separated and lift the entire side? Not really looking forward to working on those mount locations.

I have been reading all the archive posts about body mounts and thought this should work. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
You would probably need to loosen all the other mounts to allow things to pivot without stressing the body. Are you replacing just #1? Did all mine last summer since I was lifting the body off to do other work. The only really hard part about the process was lining up all the mounts. If you only did one side at time you could probably avoid this since three mounts will always be attached. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
blue66
Intermediate

Wow! Thanks for responding. I have made some progress and found an old post by someone that went through this back in 2002. Decided to do one side at a time and have successfully loosened all mounts on the drivers side. This car is a Seattle car and hasn't seen rain in over 25 years. As a result, I didn't have the issue of mounts 3 and 4 being rusted to the point of the captured nuts just spinning. Very lucky! The old post suggested removing the rear bumper but at this point I don't think I need to do that. By loosening all the mounts on one side I'm able to lift the body just enough to remove and replace the mounts. So far the new mount is in position in mount 1 and I'm close to having mount 3 installed. Anyone who's done this knows there isn't a lot of room there so getting the mount in place plus the shims can be a challenge.

I have other questions however. Once everything is done I'm thinking of putting some kind of coating on the bolts to protect from rust just in case I need to remove them down the road (body off). Something like wheel bearing grease? Would it be a problem if I smeared this all over the rubber cushions as well? What about coating the entire bolt before putting it through mount? Would there be a problem setting proper torque? Anybody?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:58 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Once everything is done I'm thinking of putting some kind of coating on the bolts to protect from rust just in case I need to remove them down the road (body off).

'NeverSeize' is what you need.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:41 PM
blue66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buns
'NeverSeize' is what you need.
Perfect. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Perfect. Thanks.
Blue 66. I need to do this on my stock 67 convert by April 15, the time it goes in for paint.

From your post, I plan to attack it the same way. one side at at time. What do you recommend, let each bolt soak for some time and then remove one side, replace and move on to other side.

Did you remove anything besides spare tire and rocker panels. or loosen anything else up? I have been dreading this job for 3 years and paint is forcing me to get it done. A car restorer wanted to do if for me but he would not give me a price, (and I did everything else on car) so I will do it myself.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Perfect. Thanks.
Or Antisieze protectant. It should be applied to the entire length of the threads. For the cushions you could put Dielectric grease on them but I don't know if it would really extend their life any or not.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:39 PM
blue66
Intermediate

Daren67. This is a link I'm using as a guide: http://www.stl-vettes.com/65Vette/bo...ody_mounts.htm Hope this helps. I'm doing one side at time mostly because I don't own a lift or enough jacks to do both sides together. Plus I didn't want to fuss with body alignment when resetting the body. I started with PB Blaster then changed to Freeze Off (that I read about on this forum). Seems to work well and yes, I applied for several days before putting a socket on anything. Suggest putting some rags under each mount because there is a lot of dripping when spraying. I was worried about breaking rusting bolts and remember, these mounts have 45 foot lbs of torque originally. Getting the bolt to turn without that 'snap' sound was a relief.

That link says to remove the rear bumpers and now that I'm working on the #4 mount I can see I need to do that. Just not enough lift to get the cushion assembly out of the bracket. I'm having a hard time getting the bolt loose that goes through the body on the wheel side. The others on the back end all broke free. I did need to lower the spare tire tub just get room to access the bumper bolts.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 PM
blue66
Intermediate

DansYellow 66. I got something called Antisieze from O'Reillys' yesterday. Is the same as you suggested?

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

DansYellow 66. I got something called Antisieze from O'Reillys' yesterday. Is the same as you suggested?

Thanks.
That sounds like it - it's usually a silver-gray color. I usually end up with it all over my hands when using it. Good stuff - very useful on a lot of bolted connections.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 (66) Replacing Body Mounts

Quick Reply: C2 (66) Replacing Body Mounts