C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is it normal charging???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:33 PM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it normal charging???

I recently bought a '67 427/400. The battery has a full charge and works well. My battery gauge rests in the middle of the dial when idling but the needle goes all the way to the right (+40) as I accelerate and drive the car and even though the battery is fully charged the needle only goes back to middle only at idle. Is this normal to have the needle at +40 with a fully charged battery when cruising? - Mike
Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbrewer
I recently bought a '67 427/400. The battery has a full charge and works well. My battery gauge rests in the middle of the dial when idling but the needle goes all the way to the right (+40) as I accelerate and drive the car and even though the battery is fully charged the needle only goes back to middle only at idle. Is this normal to have the needle at +40 with a fully charged battery when cruising? - Mike
No, it's not - your voltage regulator has failed, and it's going to cook your battery.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:16 PM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No, it's not - your voltage regulator has failed, and it's going to cook your battery.
That was my first thought so I replaced it with a new new one and the problem still exists.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:25 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Perhaps your gauge is "going south". Try another gauge and observe the readings then go from there. These devices are very sensitive for sure and do go bad.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Check your wiring. I had a new solid state VR once and it over charged too. Swapped it for a original points one and problem solved.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My `65 began overcharging. By the time I found the problem it'd ruined the battery and the alternator. Turns out there was a break in the ground lead to the regulator which forces the alternator to max out. An easy test is to run a jumper from the regulator ground terminal to the frame or engine. If charging returns to normal you found the problem.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Vetterodder is correct to try the jumper from regulator base to engine ground.
Did you connect a voltmeter to the battery and check to see if the system is overcharging above idle?
It should not go above 14.5v.
Joe
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I use one of these gadgets. It reports the condition of the battery when the engine is off and shows how the alternator is functioning when the engine is running:

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive

-- Steve
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 AM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Originally Posted by plaidside
Did you connect a voltmeter to the battery and check to see if the system is overcharging above idle?
Joe
I put a voltammeter on the battery at rest 12.0 and got 12.75 at idle and 14.7 past idle is the highest I get. Is it fair to assume that my gauge is either too sensitive or not reading correctly?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:51 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

I put a voltammeter on the battery at rest 12.0 and got 12.75 at idle and 14.7 past idle is the highest I get. Is it fair to assume that my gauge is either too sensitive or not reading correctly?
The voltages you are reading seem to indicate that your battery may be the culprit. When the battery is fully charged at idle the reading should be around 13.8vdc.
Unless your battery was down a bit when you metered it above - these readings could be normal but at idle if it was low the gauge needle should be more to the right (Charging)
If you are absolutely sure your battery is good then: **Note that a fully charged battery when car is shut off should read around 12.5v. (Mine reads 12.75v)
I'd also check for a parasitic drain on the battery when the car if off. Disconnect the neg terminal on the battery and then measure the voltage of it to see if its at 12.5v. If it isn't the battery could be the issue and the charging system and the gauge are working normally.
If you think your battery is good then:

You need to:
1. Replace the gauge and observe readings - You can simply pull the 2 wire connector off the back of the battery gauge on back of dashboard and feed it down to another gauge. 5 minute job. if same then:

2. You could have a high resistance connection on one or both of the 12v feeds to the gauge itself. (The 2 wires on the back of the gauge)
Remember the gauge is actually not a ammeter but a galvanometer that measures the 12vdc differential voltage between the battery and the horn relay.

The feeds to the gauge originate from:
A: The horn relay positive term at the front drivers side of the radiator
B: The starter solenoid 12v Battery terminal

Both of these feeds include fuse links - these need to be checked as well.
** CHECK THIS OUT NOW!! - These connections run to the gauge via the 2 bulk head connectors on the firewall - in front firewall side of the fuse block:
Check the bulk head connectors located under the master brake cylinder - there are 2 of them - get your hand on each one and make sure they are both pressed in securely and the tabs on each upper connector are engaged (Locked). This could be your issue as well - a simple fix!! (They are prone to all sorts of electrical issues due to years of corrosion - I'd disconnect each one and see how the pins look and clean them if required and then securely plug them back in.... (DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS!!)

3. Try another Solid state VR - I have one and its perfecto!! AutoZone - Wells VR715

Battery Gauge Needle should be Straight up at 0 when battery is fully charged and idling or a tad bit to the right when running normally.

IMO - you issue is either the battery or one of the connections to the gauge itself (circuit).

Good Luck!

Last edited by babbah; 03-12-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 PM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Originally Posted by babbah
The voltages you are reading seem to indicate that your battery may be the culprit. When the battery is fully charged at idle the reading should be around 13.8vdc.
Unless your battery was down a bit when you metered it above - these readings could be normal but at idle if it was low the gauge needle should be more to the right (Charging)
If you are absolutely sure your battery is good then: **Note that a fully charged battery when car is shut off should read around 12.5v. (Mine reads 12.75v)
I'd also check for a parasitic drain on the battery when the car if off. Disconnect the neg terminal on the battery and then measure the voltage of it to see if its at 12.5v. If it isn't the battery could be the issue and the charging system and the gauge are working normally.
If you think your battery is good then:

You need to:
1. Replace the gauge and observe readings - You can simply pull the 2 wire connector off the back of the battery gauge on back of dashboard and feed it down to another gauge. 5 minute job. if same then:

2. You could have a high resistance connection on one or both of the 12v feeds to the gauge itself. (The 2 wires on the back of the gauge)
Remember the gauge is actually not a ammeter but a galvanometer that measures the 12vdc differential voltage between the battery and the horn relay.

The feeds to the gauge originate from:
A: The horn relay positive term at the front drivers side of the radiator
B: The starter solenoid 12v Battery terminal

Both of these feeds include fuse links - these need to be checked as well.
** CHECK THIS OUT NOW!! - These connections run to the gauge via the 2 bulk head connectors on the firewall - in front firewall side of the fuse block:
Check the bulk head connectors located under the master brake cylinder - there are 2 of them - get your hand on each one and make sure they are both pressed in securely and the tabs on each upper connector are engaged (Locked). This could be your issue as well - a simple fix!! (They are prone to all sorts of electrical issues due to years of corrosion - I'd disconnect each one and see how the pins look and clean them if required and then securely plug them back in.... (DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS!!)

3. Try another Solid state VR - I have one and its perfecto!! AutoZone - Wells VR715

Battery Gauge Needle should be Straight up at 0 when battery is fully charged and idling or a tad bit to the right when running normally.

IMO - you issue is either the battery or one of the connections to the gauge itself (circuit).

Good Luck!
The car has 62 miles since a complete frame off mostly NOS resto. BTW I did not do the resto and for what it is worth the car won a Top Flight award in Oct. My problems began when the starter would only engage occasionally (sometimes wouldn't even click) and it was killing my battery so I sent the starter back to be RE-redone including starter solenoid. I installed a NAPA starter and thought my problems we gone because it was starting properly, every time, but now I know the car is still not charging correctly. (check out my first message) So, after I fried the battery I installed a new one as well as a new VR but the car is still not charging correctly and I'm not very technical and I'm stumped. One Vette shop tells me the charging is correct but look at my numbers it isn't right. I REALLY do appreciate all the assistance you guys are providing.

Last edited by mgbrewer; 03-12-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Where does the amp needle sit when the key is off?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sky65
Where does the amp needle sit when the key is off?
in the middle
Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

in the middle
OK. Just a weird thought that maybe someone changed the gauge to a voltmeter and left the amp face on it. If it was pegged to the left with the key off, center scale when idling and full scale above idle it would be a possibility. Oh well. Just a thought.

Tom
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
Joe
This happened to me ...
Old 03-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Wayne1964
Instructor

I had the same problem replaced the gauge . Is the altinator pully correct dia. ?
Volt meter will tell you if it is charging or not. Also check Battery terminals are tight.
I found my clock would kill the battery . I use a battery tender now. good luck
Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I have had lots of charging problems related to voltage regulators - unfortunately they have all been with a Mopar and a Ford. But in both cases the system voltage was reading low 12.5+/- and not high. The Mopar ended up having a bad voltage regulator and 12.5V was about all it would do which is not enough to charge a battery. The Ford had a charge indicator circuit and red ignition light that is supposed to "excite" the VR to start regulating. I had to install a resistor in the system in parallel to generate enough signal to get the VR to start up. Again, I could not get more than about 12.5V anywhere in the system - my point is that in my experience alternators default to battery voltage (12.5 V) in the absence of a signal from a VR.

My suspicion - and I will qualify it by saying that I'm not a strong electrical person and hate electrical issues - would be that your alternator may be faulty. I think I would take it down and have it bench tested at an auto parts store.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it normal charging???

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Overcharging ???

According to the Interstate battery manual, a fully charged battery should read 12.7 to 12.77 volts with no load. 12.2 volts with no load represents a battery that is only 20% charged. I think your battery is either NOT fully charged or defective. If it's not fully charged, then what you are seeing on your ammeter is perfectly normal. Being that your maximum charging voltage is 14.7, I would say that your voltage regulator is OK, but your battery is not fully charged.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 03-14-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Problem solved. Loose alternator ground and battery not fully charged. Thanks to all. Mike

Quick Reply: Is it normal charging???