C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trying To Get The Light in my Glovebox Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:23 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trying To Get The Light in my Glovebox Working

I have the shield for the bulb there...wondering if I am able to replace just the bulb or do I have to replace the whole light (switch) thing? And, is that light switch hard wired to the car. If the bulb can be replaced, what size if it as I don't have the original bulb
Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

You can just change out the bulb #1893.

-Bruce
Old 03-14-2014, 11:17 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Did the bulb just go out or did it never work? A lot of times it is the ground.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bondguy
I have the shield for the bulb there...wondering if I am able to replace just the bulb or do I have to replace the whole light (switch) thing? And, is that light switch hard wired to the car. If the bulb can be replaced, what size if it as I don't have the original bulb
The bulb is easily replaced, just twist and remove then install the shield on the new bulb and reinstall.

The light switch is hard-wired to the factory harness. There's an orange/black wire (if I recall correctly) very small gauge wire that terminates in a special metal clip which inserts into the back of the plastic light switch. That metal clip serves as a the groove/notch the bulb slides/twists into.

This excellent info from DZVette shows everything you need
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586157240-post4.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...amp-switch.pdf

Last edited by 62Jeff; 03-15-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:09 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks...it was just a bulb...I was thinking it wasn't wired up...there was no bulb there...it is working now...of course, the box wouldn't open and I had to adjust the strike plate...but all is fine now...it's all these little things that need adjusting on a 50 year old car...but worth it in the end. I went to Starbucks to get coffee this morning as it was a sunny day at 58 degrees...5 minutes in the store. Came out and there were two separate people taking pics of my car..too funny...guess I better get used to that.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:15 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bondguy
Thanks...it was just a bulb...I was thinking it wasn't wired up...there was no bulb there...it is working now...of course, the box wouldn't open and I had to adjust the strike plate...but all is fine now...it's all these little things that need adjusting on a 50 year old car...but worth it in the end. I went to Starbucks to get coffee this morning as it was a sunny day at 58 degrees...5 minutes in the store. Came out and there were two separate people taking pics of my car..too funny...guess I better get used to that.
I thought it would be an easy fix, just the bulb. get use to being noticed in your ride.

-Bruce

Last edited by StingU2; 03-15-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It's possible the bulb was removed because the switch doesn't turn off and the previous owner had a battery drain. Watch for that now that a bulb is back in.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying To Get The Light in my Glovebox Working

Quick Reply: Trying To Get The Light in my Glovebox Working