C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

All the chrome is off my 64 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Default All the chrome is off my 64 project

I still have a lot of chemical stripping to get through, but I have all the bits and pieces removed. Now I'm thinking about what to have rechromed. The bumpers I will keep and have reworked, also the rocker moldings. The vent windows are almost good enough to use, but after 50 yrs of service and new paint they probably deserve to be redone so they will get full treatment. I figure the windshield and window trim I will polish myself.

Question is for the front and rear parking lights. I am pretty sure I have the originals and the rears were never off the car as far as I can tell. Not that it matters... Should these be rechromed or simply replace all parking lights?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Are they pitted up real bad. They are pop metal and most of time not worth the trouble of having them rechromed. Trim parts makes real good ones. In fact the tail lights you can't even tell they are repros
Old 03-22-2014, 06:59 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

The rear are pitted bad in deep but not terrible. The front are a mixed bag. So I probably need all of them given I will have a lot invested in the black paint job. I do plan to go through NCRS judging, so just want to be careful not to replace the wrong stuff. If rechroming is not an option then I'll go with replacements.

Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To All the chrome is off my 64 project

Quick Reply: All the chrome is off my 64 project