C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent Window Help for a Rank Amateur

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM
bd hbt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vent Window Help for a Rank Amateur

I have the vent window assemblies out of the doors of my '66 coupe. Vent glass is out of the frames. Have the stainless trim pieces removed from the assemblies after drilling out the rivets for the felt window runners and sliding the trim off the frames. Does anyone have some tips for removing the hinge rivets for the vent window frame? I tried to drill out the rivets but they just spin. Tried to grip the heads with some vice grips but that was scary. Help!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by bd hbt
I have the vent window assemblies out of the doors of my '66 coupe. Vent glass is out of the frames. Have the stainless trim pieces removed from the assemblies after drilling out the rivets for the felt window runners and sliding the trim off the frames. Does anyone have some tips for removing the hinge rivets for the vent window frame? I tried to drill out the rivets but they just spin. Tried to grip the heads with some vice grips but that was scary. Help!

If you don't have a die grinder, you can use a Dremel with a ball-shaped burr to just grind away the rolled-over part of the rivet. Then tap it out lightly with a punch. Take your time and when you only see the circular shape of the rivet shank, then it will tap out.

Just did this myself last month to replace the weatherstrip, and it went smoothly.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 AM
bd hbt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, thanks for the quick response. Why didn't I think of that? I know someone with a Dremel.

Get notified of new replies

To Vent Window Help for a Rank Amateur

Quick Reply: Vent Window Help for a Rank Amateur