C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Wholly C**p Batman what a difference"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 AM
rwerth7
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "Wholly C**p Batman what a difference"

Just got my 66 SB back after having the engine rebuilt and replacing the PG tranny with a SS 700/LGT - 700 5 speed. (No flames please for going to a manual trans.) Also installed a set of N-11 mufflers from Corvette Central, had the engine compartment refreshed, refinished all the chrome/SS parts, rebuilt and refinished the carb, rebuilt the alternator, rebuilt the master brake cylinder, new engine compartment wire harness, new starter and replaced/refinished a bunch of miscellaneous parts.

Took 51 weeks to complete but it was worth it. Interior looks completely OEM down to the OEM style shifter. You would have to look under the car to see that the tranny is not OEM

Completely changed the personality of the car. Acceleration is now almost scary even though rebuild was fairly mild. Did go with a roller cam that gave my a nice "lope" at idle. Transformed the car from a nice "touring car" to a "60s hot rod". I love it.

Bought the tranny from Keisler Engineering but dealt mostly with Legend Gear and Transmission (LGT) the actual manufacturer of the tranny.

See my separate post in the Transaction Feedback Section about the excellent service I received from LGT.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rwerth7
See my separate post in the Transaction Feedback Section about the excellent service I received from LGT.
hope mine is not one of the noisy ones.... ; because i sure don't want to have to take it out once it's installed
Bill
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 AM
rwerth7
Racer

Originally Posted by wmf62
hope mine is not one of the noisy ones.... ; because i sure don't want to have to take it out once it's installed
Bill
What you might do is find a shop that has a spin machine and have your tranny tested before you install
Old 03-27-2014, 01:58 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rwerth7
What you might do is find a shop that has a spin machine and have your tranny tested before you install
interesting, as one of Keisler's assembly processes was supposedly to run it on a machine as you describe....

what is the serial # on your transmission?
Bill
Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 AM
rwerth7
Racer

interesting, as one of Keisler's assembly processes was supposedly to run it on a machine as you describe....

what is the serial # on your transmission?
Bill
I think # 247.

I'm guessing in my case they did not spin test it even though I was told like you that they spin test all their trannies before they are shipped.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

mine is # 332. i hope Shafi made at least 2 transmissions that worked right the first time (Jim Rush's i believe is #6). finding a machine to run the transmission on when you live at the edge of the earth is probably more difficult than installing/removing/reinstalling...

that being said, i wonder what the last serial # out the door was?
Bill
Attached Images   

Last edited by wmf62; 03-27-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

mine is # 332. i hope Shafi made at least 2 transmissions that worked right the first time (Jim Rush's i believe is #6). finding a machine to run the transmission on when you live at the edge of the earth is probably more difficult than installing/removing/reinstalling...

that being said, i wonder what the last serial # out the door was?
Bill
rwerth7,

Congratulations! Welcome to the "700" club! You ARE going to love that tranny! Post up some pics of your car and the install. We all love pics!

Bill, you're close on the SN. Mine's 0007.

I remember conversation with Shafi and he did say that part of their testing was this "spin" test after assembly.

I just checked my odometer and I've got exactly 8,996 miles on this tranny...no issues!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To "Wholly C**p Batman what a difference"

Quick Reply: "Wholly C**p Batman what a difference"