C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Clutch Chatter in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:05 PM
esema
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Clutch Chatter in Reverse

I have clutch chatter in my '61 when I engage the clutch in reverse. It does not chatter in any of the forward gears. Clutch is new. Flywheel was resurfaced. Does anyone know what would cause this?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The flywheel/clutch turn the same direction no matter if reverse or any other gear, so I would look else where, like a trans mount, or motor mount (underside on the mount couple), maybe rear suspension tightness.

Doug
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I bet you are releasing the clutch pedal differently...slipping it more and thus causes the chatter. Try not "babying-it"...and release it and see if it stops. If the clutch is new (under 500 miles of NORMAL driving)...the less you "slip" the clutch the faster and better it will seat and work. One way to ruin a new clutch is releasing the clutch pedal slowly and allowing the disc to slip...and create hot spots on the flywheel and pressure plate. You do not have to "pop" the clutch...just release it without a lot of "dilly-dallying" around.

ODDLY ENOUGH...it is what it is...and NOT applying this to ANYONE on the forum...so do not take offense...OK...so IF this is YOU...take note.

I have done so many clutches one thing I can say is that out of all my customers...I have a very few on the list that actually know how to use/operate a clutch correctly...and the reason I write this...I have gotten back into the clutch due to complaints and found that the flywheel and pressure plate were BADLY damaged....all within a few hundred miles. And I mean really bad....and it had nothing to do with installation procedures....because BEFORE I get back into it...I go for a ride with them and see the problem...it is the driver...but you can not tell someone who has "been driving a clutch for years and I KNOW what I am doing"...YEAH---RIGHT!!! And sometimes the customer will be in the car...with the engine running and when they go to pull off...they release the clutch so slowly you can smell it...while pressing the gas pedal....and when on an incline...they release the clutch slowly and roll a bit forward and then push in on the clutch to release it and roll back a little and then release the pedal again and do this several times when sitting at a stop light and "they" wonder why there is a problem....and the clutch is basically new and has not even reached the mileage of break-in. It is like some people can not read instructions or follow them and then wonder why there is a problem. I have even had some people when they leave the shop...with a new clutch...they do a burn-out....and JUST READ and said that they "understood" the brake-in procedures.

DUB
Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Not that uncommon. Pretty much all Porsche's do this and Dub is right for part of the problem. But in general when you are reversing, speed is not wanted and this in turn makes the situation worse. Don't worry about it and keep on going.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Chatter in Reverse

Quick Reply: Clutch Chatter in Reverse