C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is normal 60 front end play?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:31 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default What is normal 60 front end play?

I replaced the front bearing seals on my 60. While the car was off the ground I noticed a side to side wheel play.

While the wheels are pointed straight, at 12 o'clock, there is no side to side movement when the wheel is grabbed at the 9 and 3 o'clock and moved side to side. The front end is tight.

When I move the wheels to the 10 and then to the 2 o'clock position and grabbed the wheels and move side to side, I have about a 1 inch play or movement from side to side at both the 10 and 2 o'clock position.

The car drives and tracks well.

Is any side to side wheel play acceptable?

Normal, not normal?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm thinking that's pretty normal - perhaps Tom Parsons will weigh in on it then you'll have an expert's opinion.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

"When I move the wheels to the 10 and then to the 2 o'clock position"

Do you mean the steering wheel at 10 & 2? If so then that is normal.
When in the straight ahead position you should be on the 'high' spot of the worm gear. There will be resistance at that point, see the ST-12 for more explanation, then once you move past the high spot there will be play, this enables easier steering.
Joe
Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

100% normal.

The steering box is designed to be tight in the "straight" position, and looser on the ends.

Here is a great youtube video showing a rebuild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4y...ature=youtu.be

The 3rd video, in the last 10 minutes, describes the crown in the worm gear, and adjustment.

Last edited by SDVette; 03-28-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Originally Posted by plaidside
"When I move the wheels to the 10 and then to the 2 o'clock position"

Do you mean the steering wheel at 10 & 2? If so then that is normal.
When in the straight ahead position you should be on the 'high' spot of the worm gear. There will be resistance at that point, see the ST-12 for more explanation, then once you move past the high spot there will be play, this enables easier steering.
Joe
No, I meant that the wheels are at 10 and 2 o'clock. Then I grabbed the tires and shook them back and forth.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus
No, I meant that the wheels are at 10 and 2 o'clock. Then I grabbed the tires and shook them back and forth.
Same thing. The steering box is off the "high point" at center, and it is designed that way (just as Plaidside and SDVette stated).

Plasticman
Old 03-29-2014, 09:44 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Originally Posted by SDVette
100% normal.

The steering box is designed to be tight in the "straight" position, and looser on the ends.

Here is a great youtube video showing a rebuild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4y...ature=youtu.be

The 3rd video, in the last 10 minutes, describes the crown in the worm gear, and adjustment.
Those are great videos, I have seen them before. I am familiar with the crown and have that when I adjusted the steering. I could never find a scale small enough, I found a couple but they where way off as to accuracy. So instead of doing the fish scale as shown in the ST12 I did the feel by hand. The steering wheel using my fingertips is fairly easy and through out the turn until it reaches the center point at the 12 o'clock position and then I feel the crown.

With the box being adjusted properly this is why I thought I might have too much play and that something else could be wrong.

Maybe this is normal. I guess the next time someone has the front end up just grab the wheels when they are pointed in the 10 and 2 clock position and see how much play that you have when you move them left/right, and let me know.

Last edited by stratplus; 03-29-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

OK, I re-read the thread carefully... You are talking about the WHEELS being turned to 10 and 2 o'clock, yes???? It didn't make sense - I thought you meant the steering wheel at 10 and 2!

Yes, by the time the WHEELS are turned 60 degrees, you are WELL out of the tight spot, and there is quite a bit of slop in the steering. This is true even on my just-rebuilt and adjusted (By Steve LuVisi) steering box.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Originally Posted by SDVette
OK, I re-read the thread carefully... You are talking about the WHEELS being turned to 10 and 2 o'clock, yes???? It didn't make sense - I thought you meant the steering wheel at 10 and 2!

Yes, by the time the WHEELS are turned 60 degrees, you are WELL out of the tight spot, and there is quite a bit of slop in the steering. This is true even on my just-rebuilt and adjusted (By Steve LuVisi) steering box.
Yes, talking about the wheels/tires and not the steering wheel.

I am glad that this is normal and that I don't have any slop or issues elsewhere.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To What is normal 60 front end play?

Quick Reply: What is normal 60 front end play?