C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brake Oil low level warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Brake Oil low level warning

anyone ever done a 'low level' indicator on a C2? If so, how?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:56 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If you're having to add fluid, you have a leak and you should fix it. If you don't have a leak, you don't need a warning light, just check the fluid occasionally.
To answer your question, I've never heard of a level indicator being added to a C2, nor a need for one.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
anyone ever done a 'low level' indicator on a C2? If so, how?
Factory already provided one - its called a dipstick.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:18 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Factory already provided one - its called a dipstick.
He said "brake oil", I assumed he meant brake fluid. Mine doesn't have a dipstick. If he meant engine oil, most of my answer still applies, you don't need one and I don't know anyone who has added one.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The brake oil low level indicator is the brake pedal. When it starts sinking to the floor, time to add fluid and fix leak.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

If the oil level/pressure of the engine is important enough to have a gauge on the dash (to keep the engine 'alive') then I do not think that having a small indicator for the brakes is an unreasonable ambition (to keep myself 'alive')
Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Taking nothing away from the "goodness" of knowing that a brake failure is imminent, I think you are wanting a solution for a practically non-existent problem. Brake systems are pretty reliable.

If the potential for a brake failure is something that prevents you from enjoying your vintage Corvette, consider converting the brake system to a dual master cylinder (assuming it doesn't already have one).

With the dual master cylinder, you'd have redundancy..... i.e. even if you do experience a failure, half the brake system will still function.

Jim
Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Our '98 Toyota Tacoma has a brake fluid sensor in the reservoir that is wired into the parking brake circuit. When the sensor indicates a low level it will turn on the "BRAKE" warning light. Early on Toyota did a mod to the sensor because it would turn on the light if the fluid had too much moisture in it. I was changing the brake fluid at least once a year to get the light to go out... once I figured out it wasn't the parking brake turning the light on.

If you check out the system on the Tacoma (many other Toyota's may include the sensor), you may find it not too difficult to incorporate it into your system.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Taking nothing away from the "goodness" of knowing that a brake failure is imminent, I think you are wanting a solution for a practically non-existent problem. Brake systems are pretty reliable.

If the potential for a brake failure is something that prevents you from enjoying your vintage Corvette, consider converting the brake system to a dual master cylinder (assuming it doesn't already have one).

With the dual master cylinder, you'd have redundancy..... i.e. even if you do experience a failure, half the brake system will still function.

Jim
I indeed have converted my 64 to dual master for safety (well, still in mids of body off, already have the parts though). If I could I would upgrade to disks, but local legislation in Belgium does not allow me to do so...
Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If the oil level/pressure of the engine is important enough to have a gauge on the dash (to keep the engine 'alive')

Is it? When's the last time anybody heard of an engine being 'lost' by the driver for not monitoring the oil pressure gauge? The same could be said of any of the gauges fitted to Corvettes of the era.

Most other cars had a speedometer and a gas gauge- that's it. It's 'nice' to have all sorts of info but how often does it make a difference?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

My bust I guess - I never heard the term "brake oil" before.... I run single master cylinders in both my Corvettes and don't feel unsafe at all.

As far as a brake fluid level indicator -- its prob largely a false comfort. I lift my master cylinder cap regularly not just to check the level, but to examine the fluid, ensure the cap's gasket is in good shape and that there is no rust creeping in to the system...

Cobbling together a sensor system for this purpose may give many 'false positives' or no indication at all and become more problematic than checking the fluid regularly. The simplicity of these cars is a large part of their appeal to me.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-04-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Our '98 Toyota Tacoma has a brake fluid sensor in the reservoir that is wired into the parking brake circuit. When the sensor indicates a low level it will turn on the "BRAKE" warning light. Early on Toyota did a mod to the sensor because it would turn on the light if the fluid had too much moisture in it. I was changing the brake fluid at least once a year to get the light to go out... once I figured out it wasn't the parking brake turning the light on.

If you check out the system on the Tacoma (many other Toyota's may include the sensor), you may find it not too difficult to incorporate it into

your system.

Good luck... GUSTO
So does my 94 vette
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Please consult the appropriate year owner's manual for your car for the best way to check brake fluid level.

On the other hand, each time you pop the cap to look, you risk allowing moisture into the system which is not a good thing with Dot 3,4.

Dual master cylinders are no guarantee you won't have total brake failure either. It probably is a guarantee as long as everything is bright, shiney and new. Let the system get some age on it and things happen.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Brake oil or brake fluid? It may have come to your mind that not all humans have English as their native language. English (American?) is my 3rd language, Flemish first and French second. I was born and live in Belgium. In case someone is interested, in Flemish , 'Brake Fluid' is called 'Brake Oil'.

I may sound offensive here, just trying to get a simple answer to a simple question in my original post. Instead, I get mostly opinions about why the hell I wanna do what I wanna do. Thanks to the few who actually did make the effort to answer.

Now I go hide
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
So does my 94 vette
Thanks Nowhere Man, I didn't know that. I know my '85 doesn't have it, but now you have me wondering if my 2000 hardtop does?

So darn much info and so little time... just one more reason to love this Forum!

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-04-2014, 01:11 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Brake oil or brake fluid? It may have come to your mind that not all humans have English as their native language. English (American?) is my 3rd language, Flemish first and French second. I was born and live in Belgium. In case someone is interested, in Flemish , 'Brake Fluid' is called 'Brake Oil'.

I may sound offensive here, just trying to get a simple answer to a simple question in my original post. Instead, I get mostly opinions about why the hell I wanna do what I wanna do. Thanks to the few who actually did make the effort to answer.

Now I go hide
Sorry that you feel offended. Here's a tip if you want someone to know English may not be your first language. Fill out your profile so we can see where you're posting from. The answers about not needing a brake FLUID sensor were also intended to help, I guess you took them as criticism. If you want all the new sensors for everything you probably need a newer car. I stick by my statement that a brake fluid level sensor would be a superfluous addition and agree with the statement made by another that it would give you a false sense of security because you might depend on it to warn you instead of checking for yourself.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It's cool Alexander. We didn't know where you were from cause you didn't fill out your profile. I do what I wanna do to my Vette's too. I like to customize (Hot Rod) em. If you put a sensor on your master, keep us posted on how you do it. Someone else might want to do the same. Good luck with your car. Pops

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Oil low level warning

Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

It wouldn't be hard to do at all. Just use a MC that has a float sensor in the reservoir already built in it that has the right bowl capacity and the right piston size.

Wire it in to a revolving bubble gum light mounted on the dashboard.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Now I go hide
My questioning of the term "brake oil" was not derisive and I've traveled around the world extensively and am well aware that English is not everybody's first language. I just never heard the term before.

As to your desires for a sensor, my post was trying to anticipate problems that you might encounter (e.g. "false positives" and "no indication at all" scenarios). I've worked extensively on aircraft and can tell you most of these sensors are designed as part of a holistic approach to a system and not afterthought "add ons". The point being the sensor you are relying on might introduce more errors as an indicator than any problems it might prevent.

If you can get it to work then good for you.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:21 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
It wouldn't be hard to do at all. Just use a MC that has a float sensor in the reservoir already built in it that has the right bowl capacity and the right piston size.

Wire it in to a revolving bubble gum light mounted on the dashboard.
I may have a-overreacted a bit after a tough week ;-)
I appreciate this forum a lot , gave me more answers than any other resource I could have consulted.

And yes, I am of the kind that likes to do 'weird' things, but still try to keep the car as close to original feel as possible.

I did use float sensor in my Cobra, that is how I taught to include it in my C2, but float sensors would not look very period correct needing to change the top lid. Hence my question.

Did I tell anyone I test-converted my original 64 FM radio (that I got to work again, just like the clock) with a handsfree bluetooth system and small screen to display the phonebook. I know I can buy new look alike radios with that all included, but I really like the warm sound of the original radio generated by the vintage power transistor. Not sure I will use it at final reassembly of the car, but I like to experiment

Oh, last point: I will complete my profile

Quick Reply: Brake Oil low level warning