C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Shipping a car

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 11:52 PM
urslo
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Shipping a car

Okay guys I’ve drifted into uncharted territory and had a weak moment on an online auction site. Before you ask, I did not do any due diligence and yes I know better, but that’s water under the bridge now.
My question to you guys with more experience, does any C2 enthusiasts have a positive experience with Shipping Companies, that you would recommend?
Cars in New York and I’m in Louisiana, 1200 miles away.

Thanks,
Ron P.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:34 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Ron - As you'll no doubt hear from other forum members and now from me, yes there are lots of stories to be read on Shipping Companies and most are good, some not so much.
I've used Intercity Transport twice and very happy. Used Reliable one time and also happy with the outcome. On the last purchase, out of The Villages in Florida, I contacted the same large company transporters
and heard the same comment from all of them that they had no one available. A lot of that has to do with the time of year, are there large auction houses that are keeping the transport folks busy, etc.
Most old threads will tell you to be very careful about signing on with a broker and I agree with that approach. In my case, I did sign up with Reliable but after about 4-5 weeks and no scheduling to pick up the car in Florida,
I looked elsewhere. I found a small custom shop south of Phoenix that did work for a number of customers out of state and they happened to have a trip scheduled a few weeks later to drop off customers cars in Virginia and
Kentucky. I had them add a stop in Florida and it all turned out well. Cost-wise, their price to me was a couple hundred more than the big companies and I did check out their insurance and talked to others in the business that knew them
and was satisfied that it was the way to go.
Good luck.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
The following users liked this post:
urslo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 08:46 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This industry has changes significantly over the last several years. If you google auto transport you will get tons of leads, but most will be brokers. The drivers and rig owners used to spend a lot of time doing their own business development and answer questions / quotes and it was costing them money and time. The broker system manages all of this for them by posting all transport requests on an internet board that they subscribe to. They can look at the "needed" board, contact the broker, provide a price and compete with others for that job. Most brokers say they only deal with credible and reliable carriers, but I suspect some of them do not. With that said, I have sold two cars in the last year and both buyers used a broker named Montway. They can be found on the internet and I have to say the drivers that showed up to pick up the cars were very professional and had very nice equipment. They were both independent owners with their own single or double enclosed trailers and appropriate towing vehicles. I thought in both situations, the price was fair for the distance. Snowbirds are headed down from the NE and you should be able to tag onto one of the carriers either open or enclosed. Good Luck.
urslo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 08:58 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,112 Likes on 986 Posts

I used Montway when I shipped my 65 from Vegas to Tampa. The car was picked up with a week and delivered 4 days later. The driver was very careful with the car. I would use them again. Also 2/3s the cost of Reliable who now charges the full transport when you book then you wait for 5-6 weeks or more for the car to be picked up. Intercity is good but price is same as Reliable and they just don't commit to a schedule.

My experience is the big name companies only want auctions and collections. They book your car and pick it up when it's convenient for them.
urslo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 10:26 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

When i sold my car the 'Buyer' used Reliable...he was pleased and i was amazed at how precise they were on how they loaded the car and with extreme care...l

EDIT:

The car was shipped from California to New Jersey

Last edited by 66jack; 10-22-2022 at 09:02 PM.
urslo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 03:20 PM
Bobm65
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I also used Montway from FL to NC for a 65 this April. I requested a one or two car trailer and got a two car. I was happy with the service.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bobm65:
bob68 (10-22-2022), urslo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 04:34 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 66jack
When i sold my car the 'Buyer' used Reliable...he was pleased and i was amazed at how precise they were on how they loaded the car and with extreme care...l
I just had a car shipped from Europe to the States. Martin Buttons worked out the logistics, as it was air-freighted. Buttons is a premier carrier for international transportation of very high-end cars and has a stellar reputation. When the car arrived at O'Hare, he had Reliable complete the last leg of the journey.

The transporter was first-class and the operator knew exactly what he was doing. If Buttons uses Reliable, you know you are in good company. Many of the cars he transports are multi-million dollar vehicles. He has to use a top-notch carrier. There is no substitute.
urslo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 05:54 PM
ChrisBlair
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 494 Posts

Good info here, thanks all
Old 10-23-2022, 06:31 AM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Just finished a move to Citrus Hills Fla from South side Va. I had three of my cars moved by Passport Transport. They were great to work with. On time pickup, on time delivery to our new home. Cars were undamaged and in same condition as they were picked up. Communication was great. Would recommend them to transport your Corvette....Call Ken Rickard at : 800-325-4267. All the best on your transport.

Fred
The following 2 users liked this post by vettefred:
MrTrim (10-27-2022), urslo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:56 PM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is a C1, but I used Reliable from Delaware to Minnesota (enclosed) and I was very happy with them.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:46 PM
Classic Car Guy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is obvious, but needs to be said - be sure to insure your vehicle prior to the transport company picking it up. I ran into an issue where the insurance company said they had insurance for mishaps, and they backed off that claim when the insurance was needed. Fortunately, I insured the car. I’ll leave out the details of that fun event!

Hope the transport goes well!
Old 10-26-2022, 03:33 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Cannot help you with a transport company, but when I shipped my 67 from Boston to Dallas, I asked the Porsche indy shop that did all the work on my Porsches back then who they use because they're constantly consigning, buying and selling Porsches from all over the country. So ask around where you live and don't go by online is my advice. I'd also want covered top shelf (which costs more but I don't want a car above leaking on mine) transport only.

And yes, you want the car insured the day you pay the money to buy it.
craig1952 (08-08-2023)
Old 10-26-2022, 11:08 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just shipped my 61 from NY to my home in Cape Coral FL. this week. I used Montway,
this was the second car they shipped for me, it was picked up Saturday afternoon and arrived here on Monday.
I called other carriers but they couldn't guarantee me a time. They picked the car up 3 days after I signed with them.
And they dropped the price after giving me a quote a week before.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:18 PM
craig1952
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Enclosed only! It’s worth the extra money.
Old 08-07-2023, 02:44 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Older thread... but do people still recommend Reliable, Montway, and InterCity ???

Shipping a car from Ca to MA. Bought on BaT. The BaT shipping charges are not that great. Convenient 'one click' to purchase shipping, but they are 'just' a broker (albeit they ship a lot of cars so one would think their shippers are vert good or trhey would ditch them), but prices not so great $3200

Thanks !!!
Old 08-07-2023, 04:32 PM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This past year I have shipped two cars. One was enclosed and one not.
I was real happy with reliable. I shipped from Delaware to Minneapolis area (enclosed). I received constant updates on the progress and was delivered on time.
The enclosed was about twice the price
65GTO (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 05:47 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by idcwmidi
This past year I have shipped two cars. One was enclosed and one not.
I was real happy with reliable. I shipped from Delaware to Minneapolis area (enclosed). I received constant updates on the progress and was delivered on time.
The enclosed was about twice the price
Thanks ! I have a quote from Montway... they provided comparatively a very good price. I am waiting to hear back from Reliable on a quote.. The quote from InterState (received) was almost that same as BaT quote ($100 less).
Old 08-08-2023, 01:45 PM
larebob
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ferrari Shipper

Shipper was "Auto Box" . Driver claimed they were the Ferrari contractor for the USA. There were 2 Ferrari's in front of our car - driver claimed they were BOTH over 1 million $. This was a double deal, as our car went to Great Falls, then stayed there until a Canadian hauler could take it over the border. Our buyer had a lot of monkey business to get through. He was a great guy and he picked good people to work with. Even with more "normal" cars, paying up to eliminate worries is cheap, as it often is "just" a few hundred dollars more. Chicken feed, even for $25k cars !

Last edited by larebob; 08-08-2023 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add word
65GTO (08-08-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping a car

Quick Reply: Shipping a car