C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question for Owners with L79 and Power Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Question for Owners with L79 and Power Brakes

I installed a Ecklers power brake (dual MC) kit on my 65' L79.

I noticed the brake pedal gets hard to push after the first push, when the engine is at idle (stop and go traffic) but when on a mountain road and braking into a corner on decel (vac high) the pedal is responsive - no issues. So my assumption is there is not enough vacuum at idle for the booster.

My engine vacuum at idle is 15-18 and the trouble shooting guide I have say's vacuum below 18 requires a reserve canister or an assist vacuum pump.

Question #1 - what vacuum do other L79 with PB owners have and do you also have a hard pedal at idle after the first pump?

Question #2 - does anyone use a reserve canister or assist pump?

Thank you,

Phil

- thanks John Z -

Last edited by 856666; 04-20-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Well in my opinion, your vacuum reading seems adequate and you should not lose your pedal after one pump when you have a minimum 15 inches of idle vacuum. My L72 has about 14 mm Hg idle vacuum and the pedal works fine, does not lose PB effect like yours does. Is your 'kit' the stock size vacuum booster? Is your vacuum fitting and hose correct, intact and not leaking? Is your power brake booster vacuum check valve in good shape, working correctly, did you check it, try changing it out for a different or new one? To me it sounds like your booster is not working correctly. You should NOT need a reserve cannister or assist vacuum pump in a 65 with stock style system power brakes, good vacuum source and properly working components. Just my opinion, YMMV
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM
bbxlr8
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 856666
I installed a Ecklers power brake (dual MC) kit on my 65' L79.

I noticed the brake pedal gets hard to push after the first push, when the engine is at idle (stop and go traffic) but when on a mountain road and braking into a corner on decel (vac high) the pedal is responsive - no issues. So my assumption is there is not enough vacuum at idle for the booster.

My engine vacuum at idle is 15-18 and the trouble shooting guide I have say's vacuum below 18 requires a reserve canister or an assist vacuum pump.

Question #1 - what vacuum do other L79 with PB owners have and do you also have a hard pedal at idle after the first pump?

Question #2 - does anyone use a reserve canister or assist pump?

Thank you,

Phil

- thanks John Z -
Mine is a 67 L79 w/ PB added (not factory). I have no issues and will check the vacuum, but second the idea that something is not right - you shouldn't need a reserve or assist.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I never had anything similar with my mostly stock '65 L79 with 66 master cylinder/booster conversion. Unfortunately I never ran a vacuum gauge on it either so can't provide any numbers for you. Running same brake system with my 406 with a hydraulic roller cam without problems either.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Velox
Well in my opinion, your vacuum reading seems adequate and you should not lose your pedal after one pump when you have a minimum 15 inches of idle vacuum. My L72 has about 14 mm Hg idle vacuum and the pedal works fine, does not lose PB effect like yours does. Is your 'kit' the stock size vacuum booster? Is your vacuum fitting and hose correct, intact and not leaking? Is your power brake booster vacuum check valve in good shape, working correctly, did you check it, try changing it out for a different or new one? To me it sounds like your booster is not working correctly. You should NOT need a reserve cannister or assist vacuum pump in a 65 with stock style system power brakes, good vacuum source and properly working components. Just my opinion, YMMV

I would check this first...they are a quick cheap fix....
Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I also have never had any issues with idle vacuum and the power brakes on my L79. I agree with checking the check valve or look for a leak somewhere. Even new parts can be faulty.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for Owners with L79 and Power Brakes

Quick Reply: Question for Owners with L79 and Power Brakes