C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Saddle Interior Paint Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Default 1966 Saddle Interior Paint Code

As my '66 coupe has finally made it to the painter (after three years in the body shop) and it is now ready for a few coats of Milano Maroon. My car has the saddle interior. I can find the codes for the soft trim but I need to repaint the saddle/gold that is on the inside of the upper door glass frames. This should be the same as the inside windshield trim and the above door headliner moldings, you know, the painted metal components of the interior.

The only code that I have found so far is Lucite 9190LH. Anyone else have any ideas ?

Thanks, Ray
Old 04-23-2014, 02:07 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Ray:

The best I can do right now is 1965 and 1967…………no 1966.

The 1967 info comes from Chevrolet Service News. The 1965 info comes from www.tcpglobal.com Auto Color Library.

If you only need a small amount of paint, consider calling Tower Paint or Hibernia Paint and see if they will mix you a small amount. They have all the formulas and sell lacquer. They can put into spray cans, or you can use a small Preval Sprayer.

You could also have a local paint jobber computer scan a piece for color and then mix to match. You would most likely have to accept acrylic enamel. Again, many local paint jobbers can put into spray cans for you….or just get the liquid and use the Preval.

I may be able to get the 1966 paint info from a guy on the NCRS Forum.

Larry
Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

IIRC 65 and 66 saddle are the same
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
IIRC 65 and 66 saddle are the same
Here's the 1966 (service) interior color shades and glosses, courtesy of Chevrolet Service News.. I can't recall which ones go on the metal parts, but I could dig that out.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Ray:

Visited the NCRS Forum and found the 1966 color info that I mentioned earlier in the archives. It is from Chevrolet Service News, 1966 edition.

For 1966 Corvette its shows the following:

Medium Dark Saddle - 3 percent gloss - Ditzler DIA-22560 or Dupont 9190LH

Medium Saddle - 3 percent gloss - Ditzler DL-22597

Medium Saddle - 60 percent gloss - Ditzler DL-22570

Surprisingly, the Medium Saddle has blank spaces for DuPont and Rinshed-Mason paint. For everyone else, Ditzler, DuPont, and RM codes are all present. I don't know why.

These codes are the same (or similar) to the ones shown for 1965 Corvette on the tcpglobal site. The only difference is that at tcpglobal, the Medium Dark Saddle number is Ditzler DL-22596. Don't know why.

The low gloss is used on the radio speaker screen, instrument panel, windshield lower garnish, heater outlet panel, and jack stowage, etc. They show some of these areas taking the Medium Dark Saddle, and other taking the Medium Saddle. You will need to see which ones take the darker or lighter tint based on your car.

The high gloss is shown for windshield upper garnish moldings, halo panel, hardtop garnish moldings, door upper-inner, kick panel retainer, etc.

Don't know if this helps or not. Looks like you have tint and gloss levels to both worry about and try to match. Sun and age will complicate this even further.

Larry
Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks so much boys, I think you've got it covered for me.

Ray
Old 04-23-2014, 11:00 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I used the Corvette America Dye (which is really a paint) #4321-52. It covers GREAT, works on all surfaces - Console, fiberglass dash center, Interior closeouts behind the seats, seat backs, windshield trim, etc. It was a bit glossy so I sprayed a Satin Clear over the top of it. Used varying amounts of the satin to give different surfaces slightly different sheens so it didn't look like it was just all sprayed at the same time. It looks a bit green in this pic but that's the lighting.
In the opinion of everyone that sees it, it looks fantastic. Even if I do say so ma'self.....
Old 04-25-2014, 08:55 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm assuming that the windshield and headliner metal moldings above the door openings are the same as the top inside of the coupe door glass frames except the upper door glass frames on mine appear to be a bit more "gold-ish", more metallic than the other metal painted interior trim. Anyone else encounter this portion of the "Twelve Different Shades Of Saddle" experience ? If so, what did you use for the inner door glass frames ?

Ray
Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my 3rd can of supposed 1966 Saddle tan interior paint, and this one is worse than the other 2 ... the dash and trim are a golden caramel, not fawn beige, but that is what keeps coming out of the can.

Does anyone have a paint code for this color ?
I am not going to be of any help, but I am watching carefully
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
I am not going to be of any help, but I am watching carefully
Donny is listening ....
Old 05-31-2014, 12:34 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Getting closer to the painting stage .... What did you use ?

Ray
Old 11-25-2014, 07:05 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IGO200
I used the Corvette America Dye (which is really a paint) #4321-52. It covers GREAT, works on all surfaces - Console, fiberglass dash center, Interior closeouts behind the seats, seat backs, windshield trim, etc. It was a bit glossy so I sprayed a Satin Clear over the top of it. Used varying amounts of the satin to give different surfaces slightly different sheens so it didn't look like it was just all sprayed at the same time. It looks a bit green in this pic but that's the lighting.
In the opinion of everyone that sees it, it looks fantastic. Even if I do say so ma'self.....
Now it's on to the dash pads ... The color on the pads had a bit o'gold to them, the color spray dye that I mentioned above seems much more like a light tan, sorta' like the pads in the photo in this post. What's happening with the mystery that we know as the '65-'66 Saddle interior ?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

That's my car above. I had my pads re-done three times by Corvette America. They did it without complaint until I was satisfied. My problem was that I thought they had a bit of a greenish tinge. I sent them photos of the pads next to the seat covers dash center, etc. I did all my color evaluation in sunlight for consistency. The difficulty stems from the fact that you are dealing with several different materials with different reflectivity, texture, etc. After looking a a lot of survivors and Gold resto's I came to accept that there will be differences between the color hues. No question, it was a somewhat tedious exercise because there is no perfect standard. It's very subjective, but I kept at it until it looked right to ME.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

You are my brother from another mother! I went out and snapped a few of mine.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jasonsamara;1588347440]You are my brother from another mother! I went out and snapped a few of mine.

QUOTE]

Two great examples of what I'm working with on my own car:

In the first photo from IGO200 the center of the dash has a sorta' flat, tan/beige look to it.The dash pads have the colour that I get out of the Corvette America '65-'66 Saddle spray dye.

That's what my car had before painting last month.

Jason's color has an almost "dark metallic gold" to the center of the dash and his dash pads are what my unfinished ones currently look like. After a repaint of the upper glass frame on the coupe doors the painter used the same color on the center of my dash. I now have that color that is in the second photo.

Interesting if not somewhat color-blinding ...

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Saddle Interior Paint Code

Quick Reply: 1966 Saddle Interior Paint Code