C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Here is a kick in the pants

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Unsubstantiated and absurd claims don't carry any credibility.

There are many NCRS haters here.

I've never had my 67 judged and I don't intend to, but this constant bashing of the people and the organization that likes original cars comes off as nothing more than jealously.

If you don't like gay people, then don't marry one, and if you don't like the NCRS, then don't join.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
will those cars now loose there Top Flight status?
Don't worry Mike, they won't take your Top Flight award away and Obama won't take your guns either.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I like original cars just as much as resto mods or customs, they are all special in their own ways While I belong to NCRS I will never have my 65 FI coupe judged, just not that into all the 100% correctness mindset! though when I do repair or replace I first consider OEM then evaluate if there is a better more modern option that might improve the car for me, the way I drive it and use it. I enjoy seeing the cars that are original, and admire those that do a full top to bottom restoration, just not my thing that's all. But it's a fact that for some this is a hobby and for others it's a business for profit and sometimes those two sides overlap in some unusual ways. It does seem a bit unethical if an NCRS judge or judges would re-write the judging manual to personally profit in some way by requiring their parts be used, just doesn't seem like something that benefits the NCRS or it's members. Either way, it won't change the way I do anything with my car.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowlerdude
Don't worry Mike, they won't take your Top Flight award away and Obama won't take your guns either.

What can you provide as fact that makes you sure of either of these statements?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I have a '66 L72 conv that I put as many miles on as I possibly can...I'm not going to save it for anything! I do my best to keep it in great condition and like it as original as possible, but I love to drive the car more than anything else I have - It'd be a shame to let it sit idle...

I hope to someday get it painted and freshen the interior, but I definitely don't want to make it so nice that I would no longer want to drive it! It's an awesome driving C2 (you hear so many stories how many don't drive well) and is a pleasure for road-trips and vacations! Everything works great and I plan to keep it that way...

If someone wants their car to be a NCRS car, more power to them...It takes a LOT of work to make it happen for most cars! I love to see at an all original looking car...I love to drive one like mine!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowlerdude
Mike, if I were you, I wouldn't join the NCRS. lol
Been there done that and not wanting to do it again. Thanks for the offer.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:20 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

just one example. Look at the 1953 Corvette judging manual at the gas filters in the past years manuals. Now look at the NEW Manual that is out at the same thing. The difference is 2 little prong like wires or what ever they are on the gas filter that is in side the glass filter bowl. From the time NCRS started the gas filter without the 2 prongs on the bottom side were correct and passed NCRS inspection. Now they show if your filter does not have these prongs that are on the NEW JUDGING MANUAL that you will have points deducted. So does that mean that all 53 Corvettes that were judged before the new book came out should loose more points. I am not sure but I was told that a NCRS Judge is making the so called correct filter. If it is correct now why have they passed all the 53 Corvettes in the past without the filter with the prongs on it?? I am sure there are a bunch more items or why else would they be making and changing the judging manuals?? So if they have changed say 5 things per model year, does that means all the cars judged in the past are not Top Flight Cars?? Maybe they should all come back in to be re-judged each time they put out a new manual or do they just put out new manuals to get more money for the new book and there is nothing changed in them and if that is the case they should tell the people before they buy a new book that the old books are just the same as the new books and nothing has changed?? Just check the old manuals to the new ones and see if there are any changes and who said the new change is correct? If the new change is correct then all the cars judged under the old manuals were judged wrong and may not be Top Flight Cars? I have seen several Pennant Blue 1954 Corvettes with Top Flights and I do not remember any of them being the same color Blue as any of the other cars. They are almost all different colors blue and the same for the Polo White cars, I have seen several Top Flight Polo White cars and a lot of them are different shades of white, how can that be??
IMO the NCRS leans on the side of pompous asshattery. However, the guys that go for it have a different personality than i do.... And more important a car that gets top flight gets it at a certain moment in time both the regulations/rules and the cars will change. A car that gets top flight right this second could be hit by a meteor in the next. It was top flight......... Now it isn't. Same goes for the car that gets top flight and is white gloved rolled into a trailer. It was top flight at the moment in time.......... Now it may or not be. When you subject yourself to being judged by a group you get what you get. That said, I just drove my car to a car show today an hour away and I didn't worry about running 70 mph to get there and the bug spatter. If judging isn't your thing I assure you there is far more enjoyment without it.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I would challenge any one to take you car to an NCRS event and have it judged. The turn around and do NOTHING to the car and take it to the next NCRS event and have it judged. I would bet you as much as you are willing to loose that you will not get the same score in the second judging as you did the first judging. There for proves that judging is not the same across the board and if things change all the time and they write new books, WHY? What makes all the changes from one book to another judging book? You would think by now, 2014 that if they do not know what the cars came out of the factory with when they were build by now they never will know what all the cars were built with? WHY ALL THE CHANGES????? Know one has answered that yet.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:01 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Mike as you know I was NCRS member #182 before I gave up on them and all car clubs . In the beginning when I was young car shows and NCRS was new and fun to be evolved with, but as time went on it all began to be about money or politics (in that order) I am a hobbyist in general weather Corvette or Hudson , I enjoy people and their cars no matter what they drive. To keep my life simple I don't care what someone does to their Corvette only MINE. You will never win a argument with all the people, you'll be liked or disliked . So I just don't argue and still have some people dislike me!

Last edited by 1955 copper; 04-26-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Ncrs

Mike, you obviously dont understand the judging process. Rarely will the change in configuration of just one part effect the change from Top Flight status. Configuration is worth 20 percent of originality. So if the filter is worth 10 points, a COMPLETE difference in configuration would only cost you 2 points.....out of 4510! Not significant.

NCRS has many flaws I agree, but its still the best we have for preserving these cars. NCRS has a Sportsman class where you can display your car right on the judging field.....with the EFI 502 or whatever you wish.

Many of my friends have national Top Flight cars that are driven all the time. I have no problem if someone brings theirs on a trailer. In NCRS, you car does not compete againt another.
NCRS has to work on consistency with Chapter, Regional and National meets.
If an owner takes an avid interest in restoring their car, they can obtain a Top Flight quit easily and still drive it....actually, easier if you drive it.
Boyan
Old 04-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I would challenge any one to take you car to an NCRS event and have it judged. The turn around and do NOTHING to the car and take it to the next NCRS event and have it judged. I would bet you as much as you are willing to loose that you will not get the same score in the second judging as you did the first judging. There for proves that judging is not the same across the board and if things change all the time and they write new books, WHY? What makes all the changes from one book to another judging book? You would think by now, 2014 that if they do not know what the cars came out of the factory with when they were build by now they never will know what all the cars were built with? WHY ALL THE CHANGES????? Know one has answered that yet.
Mike, I know how you feel. I became disillusioned and gave up watching all sports after becoming frustrated that the referees couldn't get all of the calls correct.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I attended my first NCRS Chapter Judging event today. This was my first interaction with NCRS.

It could not have been a better experience. Everyone was very courteous and respectFul of my car and the process

Mike, with all due respect you can't make blanket statements about an organization so big. I'm sure there are some jerks. Jerks are everywhere in any vocation.

I for one am glad the organization exists and I chose to be involved.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I'll take a shot at answering that. It's because the earlier editions had errors in them. As documentation contrary to the books was uncovered, or as more survivor cars became involved the documentation was updated. No big conspiracy.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:56 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Loren

The NCRS is what it is. "an organization". Bashing them here serves no purpose. If you have proof that this is happening take it to the source. The NCRS has folks in charge. Just like our "leaders" in Wash. "an organization". Yes, Sadly it has become all about $. Greed. That big green monster.
Mike, we need folks like you who speak up about injustice, and make us all aware of what is going on. If we could all focus this kind of energy things could get better for those following us.
Be thankful that you lived in the best of times. I am.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Now that's funny.

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Mike, I know how you feel. I became disillusioned and gave up watching all sports after becoming frustrated that the referees couldn't get all of the calls correct.

I'm grateful for the updated editions.

I'm one of those dumbasses who STILL doesn't know all the details about how Corvettes looked when they came out of the factory more than 50 years ago.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Life is too short to be worried about perfection. Perfection doesn't really exist because everyone's idea of perfection is different. We are human beings and it would be an ugly world if everything and everyone was judged on perfection.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
I'm grateful for the updated editions.

I'm one of those dumbasses who STILL doesn't know all the details about how Corvettes looked when they came out of the factory more than 50 years ago.
It depends.

Last edited by MikeM; 04-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Here is a kick in the pants

Old 04-27-2014, 10:19 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
It depends.
Isn't that a diaper for old people? Sometimes I think it should go on their head instead.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
Isn't that a diaper for old people? Sometimes I think it should go on their head instead.
Wow, that lowered the level of the conversation a bit!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:10 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Unsubstantiated and absurd claims don't carry any credibility.
Way too much rambling. Sumtin' sure got under his skin.

Quick Reply: Here is a kick in the pants