C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Here is a kick in the pants

Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
valrico_stingray
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erb64
Thank God I have a 64 and just have fun .
Ditto.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 AM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone new to the game, I'll pass on my perspective. When I decided to restore my car to NCRS standards, I realized that it was to a standard set by others. This is good for me because I don't have the expertise to know all the details about how these cars were built.

The sports analogy is a good one, if you play basketball you play by the rules that someone else made up. They may modify the rules over the years to make the game more interesting or fair (or not). But I know that I cannot run with the ball down the court because I don't like the dribbling rule. Same applies to the NCRS. You are playing by their rules.

I do see people making a living off the judging process, but if there is a monopoly on a certain part...it won't be long until someone else is making that part too...so any economic advantage would be very short lived. I got a bit frustrated early in my quest by people who only wanted to help me if it put money in their pocket. They wanted me to farm out a lot of the work to them and didn't want to wait while I was deciding. I realized there are too many really knowledgeable people out there that are truly interested in hobby and not profiteering...I am thankful for them.

Lastly, it is my understanding that a flight award is only for that moment in time...so any long term retention of flight awards is really a mute point. That is why after I get my flight awarding at the various levels (local, regional, etc), I have already decided to drive and enjoy my car. If it costs me further awards, so be it. I just fear become a slave to status. Regardless of the outcomes, I will have a great car.

When I get to that point in time due to all the hard work, I may change my mind...so I guess it's not just the ncrs where things can change.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

The way I see it is.... The NCRS is Good for the hobby....It is good for the people who want to get involved with the NCRS Program and enjoy their Corvette that way.

It has also been very Helpful for people buying a First time Classic Corvette in helping them to know what to look for based on the price of the car they are looking at.

The NCRS does serve a Purpose in regards to The Corvette it's self. Keeping a record of it's birth and it's changes thru the life of the car.

This is all fine with a person who wishes to be involved with this Organization and yes some of it's problems. Every Professional and non Professional Organization I have been involved with has had problems.

Like Medical Drugs...their are side effects we have to deal with to gain the benefits that the drug was intended for.

The NCRS is What it Is..a good Organaiztion maybe with some flaws. If you want to play in that game...then have fun.

If Your not concerned with having a perfect Corvette and you want to drive it...then do that. Either way we all win. I myself Drive my vette.

It has been to BG over 10 times form the Joisey area and will return again this time for the 20th bash. It has been going to Corvettes at Carlisle More years then I can remember and done many cruz nights and Club trips.

When I need to know something about my car,either in a Repair situation or a general knowledge question... I ask the experts..One of them Being some one involved in the NCRS.

I like looking at the NCRS cars on display at Carlisle... They represent dedication to the Mark and it's History. I also have respect for the guys that take the time to make their cars meet those NCRS Standards...

As for me...It's not my cup of Tea. I'd rather drive it and enjoy it that way. But for others....The challenge is making their car meet Standards set by the NCRS.

Live long and Prosper
Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

steveale & Viet Nam Vett,

WELL SAID!!

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
steveale & Viet Nam Vett,

WELL SAID!!

Jim
In God We Trust!
Thanks Jim... Good to see your Beast is still Crank-en

32 Years and Counting .....I guess you'll be passing it along thru the family.... Better train them right ....
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

I think the world is flat. There hasn't been any further knowledge gained, the round idea was invented by a textbook guy so he could financially benefit.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Viet Nam Vette succinctly stated my position to a "T".

I was only in the NCRS for a year and met several members that took great pains to explain what is (and is not) correct on my '61 - not one of them tried to sell me anything or promote a product they've developed. After that year I decided it wasn't my "bag" but I fully appreciated those who go that route.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed - its devolved into the typical never-ending "NCRS is destroying democracy and civilization as we know it" debate...
Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed - its devolved into the typical never-ending "NCRS is destroying democracy and civilization as we know it" debate...
Are you trying to get the last word, then get it closed?

MT is getting fried on our little VH club site but I'm doing my best to explain why he feels the way he does. Besides, he's a fellow Hoosier

Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought that was Ethanol and Obama.

Originally Posted by MikeM

MT is getting fried on our little VH club site
Tee Hee.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

For you younger folks, this argument predates the NCRS! These "authentic" arguments are as old as the cars themselves.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

The problem with the conspiracy theory is that it is difficult to image anyone getting rich off making repro parts for 53s. With such a limited market, I would doubt you could even cover your tooling costs.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Mike
Here is my two cents....
One - the older manual was out dated and needed updated.
Two - Nolans book is good but only so far. - It is not complete
Three - the goal of NCRS is for the car to "appear" as close to factory original as possible
I think the new manual has its good points and its bad points.
I personally feel that some of the information is valid and I have proved it to myself several times on several parts
BUT.....here is what I think is flawed
1953 cars were built in Flint
1954-55 cars were built in St Louis
NO WAY - the cars and the build process was the same
Also there was not that quality of standard for nuts bolts etc....at that time
Not like today
There is NO WAY every 53 54 55 got the same bolt in the same loction every time - dont buy it
The cars were hand built by humans and I am sure that a line worker grabbed what ever bolt was "good enough"
I have three 54's and a 53 here
They are different
Brett will tell you the same.
As far as certain people selling parts to help folks achieve more points - I call it an opportunity - I do it -I make parts that no one else makes.......
I have to.
I also do it to help the hobby - If I sell you a part - and its correct and I can help teach you, train you and help make your car better - then that is the satisfaction I get
I helped put another 60 year old peice of rolling history and art back on the road.....
For me - the goal and the challenge is to make the car as close to "correct" as possible.....
But its the path I chose and I have to live with the rules set forth.......

Last edited by csherman; 04-28-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Jim Hughes
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
Mike, you obviously dont understand the judging process. Rarely will the change in configuration of just one part effect the change from Top Flight status. Configuration is worth 20 percent of originality. So if the filter is worth 10 points, a COMPLETE difference in configuration would only cost you 2 points.....out of 4510! Not significant.

NCRS has many flaws I agree, but its still the best we have for preserving these cars. NCRS has a Sportsman class where you can display your car right on the judging field.....with the EFI 502 or whatever you wish.

Many of my friends have national Top Flight cars that are driven all the time. I have no problem if someone brings theirs on a trailer. In NCRS, you car does not compete againt another.
NCRS has to work on consistency with Chapter, Regional and National meets.
If an owner takes an avid interest in restoring their car, they can obtain a Top Flight quit easily and still drive it....actually, easier if you drive it.
Boyan
I entirely agree with you, Boyan. (Hello, BTW, we met at Gelson's a few months ago.) I attend both NCRS and non-NCRS events. They are fundamentally different given NCRS judges against the objective standard and non-NCRS is relative to competition. For every 2 point deduction at an NCRS meet, there's someone complaining at a non-NCRS show that the C2 with the flame paint job, flares, and blower that won best in class was an abomination. I attend the Pismo Beach, California Father's Day car show in June. If you don't have a 502 Tri Five with a candy paint job, it seems they don't look at your car twice. But I go because of the location and to pick up some ideas from the better built cars. I prefer the NCRS approach, but I recognize all judging is subjective and subject to error. If the economic self-interest of any judge influences the NRS judging process, that's not good. I'm just not experienced enough to know if this occurs. The best advice is to find the proper venue for your car, have a good time, and forget about the trophy case.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

hung it up as NCRS judge way back when, too much drama. Like BADBIRDCAGE said, life is short.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:26 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Viet Nam Vette succinctly stated my position to a "T".

I was only in the NCRS for a year and met several members that took great pains to explain what is (and is not) correct on my '61 - not one of them tried to sell me anything or promote a product they've developed. After that year I decided it wasn't my "bag" but I fully appreciated those who go that route.

Check this out when I took my 67 apart and had all stainless bolts washers and such then install all correct bolts and washers they all rusted with in a couple weeks and look like s---t.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here is a kick in the pants