C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who owns a R E A L....L88?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Smog L-88???? Purdy CARS!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bill Lacy
Not mine but one that I prepped for B/G several years ago.

I guess the Silver car must be a California car!!!! AIR pump????? I thought the L-88's got away from putting those on????? Smogged, this is throwing my mind off to some degree! A smog L-88?? I just never thought about that one before???

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-13-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I guess the Silver car must be a California car!!!! AIR pump????? I thought the L-88's got away from putting those on????? Smogged, this is throwing my mind off to some degree! A smog L-88?? I just never thought about that one before???
In 1968, all Corvettes including L88s were eqiupped with the A.I.R. system from the factory. I'm sure that most of them did not stay on for long.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Derek here is the picture of the grid in Palm Springs. This is the airport course used before VARA did the street race. I believe this is a SCCA event and these are Super Production class cars. Picture isn't great but you can see the 24 Corvette. Owner told me it was an L-88. Probably 1987. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I am pretty sure I was at that race!

Originally Posted by RJ1
Derek here is the picture of the grid in Palm Springs. This is the airport course used before VARA did the street race. I believe this is a SCCA event and these are Super Production class cars. Picture isn't great but you can see the 24 Corvette. Owner told me it was an L-88. Probably 1987. Hope this helps.
I definitely took pictures of every car that appears on that grid. I also have all of the Vintage Voices in 1987. I do have a memory of having a shot of the #24 somewhere. And I will try to not clutter up the thread anymore with my 1980's picture finds.

I do wish the grills were clear and that is what is bothering me! I know of a #24 that was painted closely if not exact running in the SCCA that was a 1965 car, and then it became #82. I can post those because I have those handy, but won't know if this #24 is the same car till I find the pictures! I think I will just go grab the Vintage Voices!

I like to save the transitional pictures and seeing the flare being changed helps you follow the cars journey!

Funny how time flys!!!!!!

I was trying to remember exactly when I took an interest in Vintage racing. I thought it was at the time I bought my car in and around 1983, but it may have been earlier as per a few other shots that I took. I do remember the Palm Springs distinctly at the Airport and I went! Then it was moved into the area and ran around one of the big hotels. Then it got moved back out to the former airport site. Thus Riverside was still on it's last breath, when these events were run. So I correct myself. My first Monterey Historics was the 1987 year also because of Chevrolet being the Marque. I took my car and tried to get it teched and accepted at Riverside in 1987 with a friend that was VARA licensed. We took turns driving it. And then we took it up to Willow Springs or first Willow and then Riverside, I forget and will have to check that. I was allowed to go out and do the practice, but wasn't cleared to race, partly I personally believe because I was quicker than most of those guys (good ole politics!). Thus I had given up and went out to this Palm Springs event you showed as a spectator is why I remember and felt I should have been in the event. I remember because of the connections that I was making, that is how I got the great track access and was out taking pictures over the Armco barriers and stuff.

I hope to have a shot of the engine bay of #24, because usually I have always shot those if the hood was open!

Like I said, I do know I have a developed shot of the #24 car. I have pictures of those two Cobras, the White flared car, etc.. But I would bet I have alot of that time period on the undeveloped film. Thus I only went thru one box. I still have to get a bunch of work done tonight for Company payroll (a bunch of bills, so it won't be tonight, but maybe on a break from getting that billing done, I can go thru the Voices!

Back to Steve P. Big Block car-- it sold here:

I do keep a good database!!!! I just wish I had my drive with the all of my stuff working!! Thus I can pull stuff off of some stick drives that I had laying around! So I am not completely down related to finding stuff!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-13-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Ps

I am revamping my 1967 L-88 list.

I am trying to get each car matched with the rear axles!

Thus have more work to do!

LeMans Racer

3.55 Axle
Judski Car
#92 Dana Racer

3.70 Axle
Silver Convertible

4.11 Axle
Daytona Racer #89
Maroon Conv.
Goodwood Green Cpe (Affrica car-missing)

Sunfire Coupe
Red on Red
12 mile car
Black Last Car!

Etc.

Dealerships having fun with those

Thus we have
Dana Chevrolet- South Gate, Ca. (LeMans Car/#92 SCCA Racer)
S&K Chevrolet- Vallego, Ca.
Bast Chevrolet- Seaford, NY
Curtis Chevrolet- Washington DC
Rosenthal Chevrolet- Arlington, VA
Hanley Dawson Chevrolet- MI
Lyman Stack Chevrolet- Portland, Ore.
Mike Savoie Chevrolet- Troy, MI
Alan Green Chevrolet- Seattle, WA
Lang Chevrolet- Xenia, OH
Yenko Chevrolet- Cannonsburg, PA
Rathman Chevrolet- Melbourne, FL
Dehaven Chevrolet- Fort Wayne, IN
The infamous Code 43 car that I think was a Goodwin Chevrolet or O'Conner Chevrolet Car!!!!!
I think Team Chevrolet, Pasedena, CA.
And at least 2 Factory delivered (Daytona Racer/Hussein Car)

eTC.

I am working to pull this list all together! Naturally in my haste to type, these are not complete lists!!!!!!!!!

I ALSO WOULD LIKE SOME OF YOU GUYS TO SHARE BACK INSTEAD OF JUST STEALING MY STUFF! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! IF I DON'T, THEN I AM GOING UNDERGROUND WITH THE REST THAT I AM KEEPING TO MYSELF!!! AND LIKE MY FINALLY SHARING THE HUSSEIN VIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT MONTH'S OR A YEAR FOR THE NEXT TIDBIT! THUS SOMEONE SHARE SOMETHING, OR MY PARTICIPATION IN THE THREAD IS DONE VERY SHORTLY!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-13-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I never really gave this much thought previously!

Originally Posted by SBR
In 1968, all Corvettes including L88s were eqiupped with the A.I.R. system from the factory. I'm sure that most of them did not stay on for long.
I have studied the engine builds and such like the cams:

I have the 3879605 in early L-88s
I have the 3879652 gear driven unit same spec as early
I have the 3925535 in 2nd design L-88s
I have the 3925533 gear driven unit same spec as 2nd design
I have the 3959180 ZL-1
I have the 3863143 LS-7

I have probably looked at a million C3 L-88 pictures and have been in denial to recognize the presence of smog equipment!!! It apparently has been invisible to me. Thus the other thing I have in my garage with my C3 purchase was some smog exhaust manifold pipes! Thus maybe maybe maybe. But as I said above, I won't be able to prove L-88, Darn it!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default No new sharing!

I think what I am going to do, is choose one of the high end Corvette hunters (pick someone that I think is more on the enthusiast side and less on the investment side) and throw them my non-shared notes on some of this type of stuff. Any volunteers??? That way, maybe someone that is an enthusiast will get to the last of these cars first, prior to the investment guys! Worthy volunteers wanted?????

PS I went to get some of the mags out from the Vintage Racing in the 1980's to look for the #24, but then instead got side tracked and ended up looking for my original 30/30 cam in the box, because I wasn't remembering if I had edge orfice lifters or piddle valve ones in the box, and then I grabbed another box of photo's. Thus does anyone want to see pictures of the WHO in concert, or Foreigner, Def Lepard??

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-14-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

LeMans Racer

3.55 Axle
Judski Car
#92 Dana Racer

3.70 Axle
Silver Convertible

4.11 Axle
Daytona Racer #89
Maroon Conv.

Sunfire Coupe
Red on Red
12 mile car
Black Last Car!
To your 3.70 Axle list add DeLorenzo car (FA1230W on P-o-P); probably FA 12 30 66 stamped on carrier.

About your concert photos; have any Buffalo Springfield ?

Last edited by midstyle; 05-14-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM
SBR
Safety Car

I think what I am going to do, is choose one of the high end Corvette hunters (pick someone that I think is more on the enthusiast side and less on the investment side) and throw them my non-shared notes on some of this type of stuff. Any volunteers??? That way, maybe someone that is an enthusiast will get to the last of these cars first, prior to the investment guys! Worthy volunteers wanted?????

PS I went to get some of the mags out from the Vintage Racing in the 1980's to look for the #24, but then instead got side tracked and ended up looking for my original 30/30 cam in the box, because I wasn't remembering if I had edge orfice lifters or piddle valve ones in the box, and then I grabbed another box of photo's. Thus does anyone want to see pictures of the WHO in concert, or Foreigner, Def Lepard??
I'll volunteer Seriously though, I have spend years trying to figure out how to bring the King Hussein 67 L88 back to the states and when my friend spoke to someone that knew the family and came up empty, I gave up. With the current price increases I could not afford it anyway.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:08 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Thank you! Sincerely!

Originally Posted by midstyle
To your 3.70 Axle list add DeLorenzo car (FA1230W on P-o-P); probably FA 12 30 66 stamped on carrier.

I have so much information over the last 30+ years, that no one would believe how many notebooks, and filing cabinets, stuff in the garage, magazine collections and such that I am sure I have most everything on these cars, but finding it! Bigger project than I had thought.

I have notes on the Farris car-- haven't found them yet.
I have some stuff on the Green/Green someplace.
I had the road where the Hussein car was crashed once written down, I hope that turns up. It is probably with my list of the cars that he has owned that I can't find either. And with the article of his prized Porsche collection that went back to Stuttgart!
I had Judski Cars Dealership, I can't find that!
I had the Restorer Book car with VIN listed in the book, some of that info!

I also am jokingly insulting to the investor crowd, but deep down, I love you all!!!!!!!!

I just hope that such types just never lose the enthusiast side, and that the money driven interest doesn't overshadow the hobby and such.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-14-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I might honestly consider it!

Originally Posted by SBR
I'll volunteer Seriously though, I have spend years trying to figure out how to bring the King Hussein 67 L88 back to the states and when my friend spoke to someone that knew the family and came up empty, I gave up. With the current price increases I could not afford it anyway.
Over the years, I have gotten to know you through the forum somewhat, but haven't checked you out per se to see what your all about. And I could never dream of financially chasing down such a car, or even dream of acquiring it, but I played detective, so we may just talk about the Hussein car and the Farris car!

You have appreciate what I have put up, and I am sure there are guys ahead of me on the list, but at least I have some peoples attention, not that I am looking for fame.

The generation that would remember anything about that Hussein car is dying off over there! No one that I had access to, knew anything about it and because of that, I almost decided for interest to get creative.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Ps

Originally Posted by midstyle

Off topic pause, break! What is the fascination with Buffalo Springfield??? But no, one of them/her/him! I have to remember what song/songs they did!

I have Iron Maiden, Loverboy, Clash, Jackson Browne, Berlin, Quarterflash (some because the girlfriends made me go), Santana, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Chuck Berry, Pretenders, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Police, Alice Cooper, etc..

PS I should be able to post up the results of that Palm Springs event in and possibly will see if I can find my stuff on car #24. Car #24 where are you!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-14-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:36 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Ok Duh! I feel stupid!

#24 is Mark's car! And I have sat around talking to him a number of times!!! I guess I just got used to him running #7 that I forgot he had repainted the car and renumbered the car. I was parked next to him in the pits at Willow Springs!!!!!

But I have never specifically tracked Coupes!!!!!!! Me have a Vert racer, I tried to figure out all of those, but have stuff also on Coupes but not from Owner to Owner, where they went, who had them and stuff like on the Vert's.

But looking at this car, raises for me some mysteries to be solved. It sure is painted identical to the 1965 car I pictured. Even the window tint is the same tint. The 1965 car was getting changed, reconfigured in pictures I have. Mark shows up on the track in 1986, same paint scheme and he definitely had 1967 grills on it and Number #24! In the race standings, when I saw who we were talking about, I looked in my 1985, 86 stuff vice later and didn't get any further, but here is some tidbits 1986 from my literature (I didn't quite get to 1987, because I already found a mystery earlier):

And in the modern this was Mark's car and now it is tied to a history related to Pickett!!!!!!!!!! Go figure! Mark had this big block up at Willow Springs in the mid 2000's and how it changed to Pickett???? But who knows! I have a feeling that it started out as a confused car with an identical paint job as the SCCA racer I pictured and numbered as #24 and then might possibly have been changed to a 1967. I could probably figure it all out, because I know I have a whole lot more info, records, pictures, etc. and mag articles, etc.. but I think I am done on this one, I don't think I want to figure this one out!!!! A little too interesting, and Too confusing!!! And I also have all of the Race Car Registry stuff that I am scratching my head over now!! Thus just to check my memory, if I look for anything, it will be a Vintage Race record with Mark F. driving this #7 or a picture I would have of it with his name over the door- unless I have transposed a memory. And I definitely will look up who was driving it in the picture at Laguna Seca, and who had Car #82 also (I RECOGNIZE THE OUTHOUSES IN THE BACKGROUND)!!!! Now Car #82 is a big mystery and that picture was shot at Laguna Seca also!! But I am thinking I posted up enough, and will keep any further discoveries to myself on this car!!! PS, I don't believe either the 1965 pictured or this #7 in the modern were real L-88's originally. And this is an example why Corvette Detective work is only undertaken by just a few!!!!

PS Jim and others, please don't try to make me look stupid on this one, because I know I can pull more stuff out on all of this and beside, I am not really interested in Coupes anyways!!!!! So this one can stay mixed up in my own personal brain!! Everyone can just go talk to the present Owner to get the story straight after I accidently mixed it all up!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-15-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default OK this one was messing with my mind! So I just got done!

Looking at the Registry!!!!!!! Thus my memory of it being Mark's car #7 is correct! They have that listed in plain site!!!!!! Mark is listed under the #7 as I had remembered, for this car! Here is the Registry page! But I now more than ever think I am done sharing more!!! Confused now on history!!! My opinion, too bad! At you guys can see the Paint Job and #24 and make up your own minds!!! I have two theories and they will die with me! And Dr. Geen SCCSCC (SIC SIC) 1967- mid 70's??

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-15-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Looking at the Registry!!!!!!! Thus my memory of it being Mark's car #7 is correct! They have that listed in plain site!!!!!! Mark is listed under the #7 as I had remembered, for this car! Here is the Registry page! But I now more than ever think I am done sharing more!!! Confused now on history!!! My opinion, too bad! At you guys can see the Paint Job and #24 and make up your own minds!!! I have two theories and they will die with me! And Dr. Geen SCCSCC (SIC SIC) 1967- mid 70's??

Derek when I spoke to the owner which must have been Mark I asked if it was a real L-88 and he said yes. But we were both looking at the engine when talking so he could have meant the engine was a real L-88.
The car was strong and well driven and finished first in class each time I saw it. The field as you seen in the picture above included a couple 427 Cobras.
If you like roadsters versus coupes I will post a picture of my car back then. We had to cross paths during the 80's at the tracks.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Derek OT this is the car I bought in 1986. Used it at SCCA schools at Willow and Riverside. One of the Corvette instructors at the Riverside school was Doug Hooper. Blew the engine at Willow and had Louis Unser's shop build a new engine. This picture was a session with new motor at Willow. Later converted the car to vintage racer removing the flares and big wheels and tires. Sold the car at Rick Coles Palm Springs auction held during the VARA race weekend on the street course.
You should know this car from previous owner out of northern Calfornia region.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:42 AM
427 Mitch
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=TCracingCA;1586892551]I am revamping my 1967 L-88 list.

LeMans Racer

3.55 Axle
Judski Car
#92 Dana Racer

3.70 Axle
Silver Convertible

4.11 Axle
Daytona Racer #89
Maroon Conv.

Sunfire Coupe
Red on Red
12 mile car
Black Last Car!

Etc.

Thus we have
The infamous Code 43 car that I think was a Goodwin Chevrolet or O'Conner Chevrolet Car!!!!!

eTC.

I am working to pull this list all together! Naturally in my haste to type, these are not complete lists!!!!!!!!!

MY Lynndale blue L88 # 18426 has a 4.11 rear and came from DeHaven
Mitch

Get notified of new replies

To Who owns a R E A L....L88?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:42 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

#24 is Mark's car! And I have sat around talking to him a number of times!!! I guess I just got used to him running #7 that I forgot he had repainted the car and renumbered the car. I was parked next to him in the pits at Willow Springs!!!!!

But I have never specifically tracked Coupes!!!!!!! Me have a Vert racer, I tried to figure out all of those, but have stuff also on Coupes but not from Owner to Owner, where they went, who had them and stuff like on the Vert's.

But looking at this car, raises for me some mysteries to be solved. It sure is painted identical to the 1965 car I pictured. Even the window tint is the same tint. The 1965 car was getting changed, reconfigured in pictures I have. Mark shows up on the track in 1986, same paint scheme and he definitely had 1967 grills on it and Number #24! In the race standings, when I saw who we were talking about, I looked in my 1985, 86 stuff vice later and didn't get any further, but here is some tidbits 1986 from my literature (I didn't quite get to 1987, because I already found a mystery earlier):

And in the modern this was Mark's car and now it is tied to a history related to Pickett!!!!!!!!!! Go figure! Mark had this big block up at Willow Springs in the mid 2000's and how it changed to Pickett???? But who knows! I have a feeling that it started out as a confused car with an identical paint job as the SCCA racer I pictured and numbered as #24 and then might possibly have been changed to a 1967. I could probably figure it all out, because I know I have a whole lot more info, records, pictures, etc. and mag articles, etc.. but I think I am done on this one, I don't think I want to figure this one out!!!! A little too interesting, and Too confusing!!! And I also have all of the Race Car Registry stuff that I am scratching my head over now!! Thus just to check my memory, if I look for anything, it will be a Vintage Race record with Mark F. driving this #7 or a picture I would have of it with his name over the door- unless I have transposed a memory. And I definitely will look up who was driving it in the picture at Laguna Seca, and who had Car #82 also (I RECOGNIZE THE OUTHOUSES IN THE BACKGROUND)!!!! Now Car #82 is a big mystery and that picture was shot at Laguna Seca also!! But I am thinking I posted up enough, and will keep any further discoveries to myself on this car!!! PS, I don't believe either the 1965 pictured or this #7 in the modern were real L-88's originally. And this is an example why Corvette Detective work is only undertaken by just a few!!!!

PS Jim and others, please don't try to make me look stupid on this one, because I know I can pull more stuff out on all of this and beside, I am not really interested in Coupes anyways!!!!! So this one can stay mixed up in my own personal brain!! Everyone can just go talk to the present Owner to get the story straight after I accidently mixed it all up!!!!
I am replying specifically to the portion of this post which references Bob Patterson's Grand Sport.
I have competed extensively with Bob Patterson over the many years when he owned this REAL (Chassis 003) ex John Mecom Grand Sport. Bob runs with the "Wild West Racers", a group of like minded vintage racers from California, including Tom McIntyre, and "Mr Cobra" Lynn Park. Bob sold #003 Grand Sport to Tom Armstrong in 1989 or so, and currently races a 1957 air box fuelie. All these great guys (like Bondurant, Guldstrand and Reinhart) are just as important (or more so) than the actual Corvettes that they raced so well
Old 05-15-2014, 11:49 AM
grandsport4me1963
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=427 Mitch;1586903952]

LeMans Racer

3.55 Axle
Judski Car
#92 Dana Racer

3.70 Axle
Silver Convertible

4.11 Axle
Daytona Racer #89
Maroon Conv.

Sunfire Coupe
Red on Red
12 mile car
Black Last Car!

Etc.

Thus we have

eTC.

MY Lynndale blue L88 # 18426 has a 4.11 rear and came from DeHaven
Mitch

Here's another blue for auction in Seattle next month with 4.11 rear:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=WA0614-185452

Brad
Old 05-15-2014, 03:11 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Over the years, I have gotten to know you through the forum somewhat, but haven't checked you out per se to see what your all about. And I could never dream of financially chasing down such a car, or even dream of acquiring it, but I played detective, so we may just talk about the Hussein car and the Farris car!

You have appreciate what I have put up, and I am sure there are guys ahead of me on the list, but at least I have some peoples attention, not that I am looking for fame.

The generation that would remember anything about that Hussein car is dying off over there! No one that I had access to, knew anything about it and because of that, I almost decided for interest to get creative.
No hidden agendas or anything like that. I am a Corvette nut and the L88s and 67 435s have been my favorites since I was in my teens.

Quick Reply: Who owns a R E A L....L88?