C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starter/Flywheel Combination

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starter/Flywheel Combination

Guys:
I need assistance.

I have a 1970 4 bolt main 350 in my car. I have a 40# Hayes 168 tooth flywheel and 11 inch clutch. I used the heavy flywheel just because I had it laying around. I use a mini high torque starter.

The problem is I destroyed the ring gear on vacation. I'm back home and have removed the engine and transmission assembly. I would like to replace the heavy flywheel with a standard weight unit. Does anyone know what weight they were using in 1970. Summit has flywheels with weights all over the place. I just want to go back to stock weight and factory starter mainly for repairability while I'm away on vacation.

So my question is does anyone have part numbers for a stock 168 tooth flywheel, what the weight is and a Delco starter P/N compatible with the aforementioned flywheel.

Thanks,

Black60
Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default No big deal

Just go to your local parts store....a simple sale for them.....and probably save a bunch of money..........
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

They were ABOUT 25#.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Just go to your local parts store....a simple sale for them.....and probably save a bunch of money..........
just tell them you have a 70 vette with a LT1.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Black60
Pro

Iron: Have you been to a parts store lately? The kid inputs into a computer the data he reportedly needs to find the part. Important things like color? **** carpeting? A/C? power steering? etc., etc. Lord help us.

Good advice nevertheless.

Black60
Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Black60
Iron: Have you been to a parts store lately? The kid inputs into a computer the data he reportedly needs to find the part. Important things like color? **** carpeting? A/C? power steering? etc., etc. Lord help us.

Good advice nevertheless.

Black60
Yes, I know what you mean...I just sold our family auto parts store that was 75 years old...It was not of the computer age, but they were installed.....Catalogues was always used there, and the families children grew up inside a parts store and could handle many situations without the books or computer....It is what we referred to as a auto real parts store...it carried in stock almost everything including clutches, flywheels and ring gears as that's all you really need......

Google, walts auto supply and or walts puffer altered

Auction, June 8 Walts Auto parts...Dearborn Hts....48125
Old 05-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Black60
Pro

Yes, I know what you mean...I just sold our family auto parts store that was 75 years old...It was not of the computer age, but they were installed.....Catalogues was always used there, and the families children grew up inside a parts store and could handle many situations without the books or computer....It is what we referred to as a auto real parts store...it carried in stock almost everything including clutches, flywheels and ring gears as that's all you really need......

Google, walts auto supply and or walts puffer altered

Auction, June 8 Walts Auto parts...Dearborn Hts....48125
Iron:
My Dad owned a repair garage for many years. He would take me on parts runs. I clearly remember Max at West Side Auto Parts (West Springfield, MA) listening to dad's part need then spouting off the part number from memory as he turned to pull the part. Those days are behind us I fear.

Best Regards,
Black60
Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Black60
I clearly remember Max at West Side Auto Parts (West Springfield, MA) listening to dad's part need then spouting off the part number from memory as he turned to pull the part. Those days are behind us I fear.
If not behind us, they are vanishing fast.

Recently, but still a few years ago, I walked into our local NAPA store and told the lady manager that I needed part number 86641. That's all I said. Didn't say what it was or what it was for.

Without missing a beat, she said, I don't have that rotor in stock but I can have it here by this afternoon.

She's now gone and I sure miss her.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Starter/Flywheel Combination

Quick Reply: Starter/Flywheel Combination