C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tan Tan 63 SWC Auto find today

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Tan Tan 63 SWC Auto find today

I found a Tan/ Tan # matching Automatic 63 SWC today that has been setting for some time. The owner of it now got it from her brother who passed away several years ago and he was the second owner. I checked the car out and it is # matching for the most part. I know some of you are going to say what is the most part. Well the generator and water pump and master cylinder and not original. But you have to figure that when those items went bad most people went to Auto Zone or Advance Auto or NAPA and turned in the old one that did not work and got a replacement. That being said it was a 327/300hp dash was nice with no rips as were the seats and carpet. Glove box door was original and looked great with no cracks or fogging. Gauges looked very good as did the console. The headliner looked like it was scratched up a little but the original jack was there but not the lug wrench. There was no battery in the car so I could not start it. Lady said it had not ran in about 4 yrs. I rook the gas cap off and what little gas that was left in it has turned to varnish. Shocks were rusty but frame and bird cage was very nice. The bumpers would need re-chromed and breaks and fuel line replaced. Spare tire tub and original spare tire were there and in place. Weather stripping looked very good like the car had not sat out in the sun or weather and gone bad. Exhaust pipes were rusty and would need replaced. But over all it was a nice little car. It was an early car, built in November or 62. Never hit and all bonding strips in place, headlight covers were metal and it had the wells under the seats. I know some of you are wanting to know if I bought it. Well, I tried. I told he what the car was worth at todays market in the condition it is in and what it would take to get it back up and running and presentable and what it would cost to do a total restoration and then what it would be worth. Letting her know that labor would be here biggest hit on price. I made her a very reasonable offer in cash on the spot all $100.00 dollar bills and she thought a min or two and said no she was not ready to turn loose of it yet. I think she has to much sentimental feelings into the car right now to turn loose of it, and that is OK.I did tell her that at some point when she was ready to sell it that my offer stood and she said she would call me first. I had a Tan/Tan 63 SWC 4 spd one time but not an automatic. Oh well maybe she will call me soon and maybe not. I will check back with her in about 6 month and see where she is at then.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:03 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Wouldn't the metal headlight buckets sound an alarm?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:11 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like a nice little project to have some fun with.

I would have asked her what she wanted for it and advised that when I was done with the restoration, if I ever wanted to sell it, I would call her and let her have first shot at it. Or keep it, drive it, and enjoy it.

Unfortunately, she might honor her word and call you first after another party has offered 25k more than you and wants to know if you want to better your offer.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I found a Tan/ Tan # matching Automatic 63 SWC today that has been setting for some time. The owner of it now got it from her brother who passed away several years ago and he was the second owner. I checked the car out and it is # matching for the most part. It was an early car, built in November or 62. Never hit and all bonding strips in place, headlight covers were metal and it had the wells under the seats. I know some of you are wanting to know if I bought it. Well, I tried. I did tell her that at some point when she was ready to sell it that my offer stood and she said she would call me first. I had a Tan/Tan 63 SWC 4 spd one time but not an automatic. Oh well maybe she will call me soon and maybe not. I will check back with her in about 6 month and see where she is at then.
you check back in 6 months and that car will be 5.5 months gone. If you heard of it, others will too, and the next guy will not be quite as analytical as you have gotten from having owned as many as you. He will say I want it, she will say I turned down an offer of (you fill in the $number) and he will add $5000-10000 to that and sayonara. Tip, if you like the car, call her back today, go see her again, and say look, you know I am serious, and I will give this car a great home. What's it going to take to buy it? Bam! Done.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 63

In all your number matching blah blah blah, you never mentioned if it has the original engine and if its been decked or not...

And yes , metal headlight buckets on a Nov 62 car are a HUGE alarm.....but I am pickier then most
Boyan
Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,434 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

there is a tan tan 63 SWC in Rockford IL that I know well.....
:-)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:53 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by csherman
there is a tan tan 63 SWC in Rockford IL that I know well.....
:-)
Got one here too that I am getting to know better and better as the days go by!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I read it as head light covers, not buckets. Early head light covers are different.
Brgds,
Rene
Old 05-28-2014, 05:35 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Well I'm sure he knows what he is doing. My 2 cents are you have to listen to the owner and you can figure out what the best angle to take is. Now I understand I have only ever bought 1 old Vette, but I took the friendly buddy approach (because she is a good friend) and it paid off. There were others who wanted it and every show I have drove it to people say they wanted that car, but I got it. The other one that I hope to buy in a few months still is not mine, but he turned down an offer $7k over my offer just last week because I have built a relationship and sometimes people care more about that than money. My buddy says he could never let someone drag him along for so long. It took 5 yrs almost to the day but in the end I got it. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:51 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
Wouldn't the metal headlight buckets sound an alarm?
Maybe the front end was crunched and repaired many years after the car was born, but when they were just inexpensive used cars?

1970 or '71 was the low point, I actually considered buying a running, presentable '63 or '64 convertible for $1000 to put away as a parts car.

Last edited by sub006; 05-28-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

It has original # on stamp pad and it is not head light buckets it is the headlight rings that are metal. This is a nice little car and I will go back later and see if I can get her to change her mind on selling me the car. All I can do is keep trying.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 63

Ok, it sounds like a great car. I would love to have any powerglide coupe as a cruiser....a 63 would be the ultimate.
Boyan
Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
Ok, it sounds like a great car. I would love to have any powerglide coupe as a cruiser....a 63 would be the ultimate.
Boyan

Get notified of new replies

To Tan Tan 63 SWC Auto find today

Quick Reply: Tan Tan 63 SWC Auto find today