C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question on body mount #1 (firewall) for '67 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Question on body mount #1 (firewall) for '67 convertible

While the car is basically still in pieces and the body just barely on the frame, I've decided to go ahead and install all new body mounts while everything is good and accessible. The question I have is in reference to body mount #1, just under the firewall/birdcage area. I have all the new hardware ready to go in, but I don't see where I am supposed to install the u-shaped shims. The AIM shows the shims should be inserted between the steel "plates", but as you can see in my pic below, those plates are already pressed together and there is nowhere for a shim to go...

Help?
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Quil
Drifting

Sorry...above pic should be rotated to the right 90 degrees. Not sure why it uploaded like that...

Here is a pic of what the AIM shows...shims I am referencing are #2
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 PM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope this helps...you can barely see them here between the green birdcage frame rail and the bottom firewall glass. The bond adhesive would be between the bottom firewall lip and the vent chamber cover. There should not be adhesive between the birdcage and the firewall bottom lip. I can't tell on your pic if that is just ooze from the lower fw and vent cover that has oozed over the gap between the rail and the bottom fw lip.

one side slipped right in, the driver side shown here I had to coax them in with a screwdriver and a mallet. put a bolt in to act as a stop to get the shims into position.

Last edited by steveale; 05-28-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Quil
Drifting

Originally Posted by steveale
hope this helps...you can barely see them here between the green birdcage frame rail and the bottom firewall glass. The bond adhesive would be between the bottom firewall lip and the vent chamber cover. There should not be adhesive between the birdcage and the firewall bottom lip. I can't tell on your pic if that is just ooze from the lower fw and vent cover that has oozed over the gap between the rail and the bottom fw lip.

one side slipped right in, the driver side shown here I had to coax them in with a screwdriver and a mallet. put a bolt in to act as a stop to get the shims into position.
Thanks, that is a huge help. I will see if I can't get them to go in just like you suggested.

I also notice in your photo that your mount hardware looks different than mine...yours appear to have cushions, and mine came only with an aluminum spacer as described in the AIM. Should I be using cushions here as well?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Those shims were part of the body build and not body mounting on the frame. Unless they are rusted away, you should not need to do anything there.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Quil
Drifting

Originally Posted by wombvette
Those shims were part of the body build and not body mounting on the frame. Unless they are rusted away, you should not need to do anything there.
Hmm....should I be able to see them? I'll take another look tonight, but those panels are sandwiched together pretty tight.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:08 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quil
Hmm....should I be able to see them? I'll take another look tonight, but those panels are sandwiched together pretty tight.
They were "as needed", there may not be any there.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM
steveale
Drifting

Yeah, I think my AIM said "2 typical" but mine only had one on each side. 2 fit so I put in 2 per the aim. I don't know that it really matters when you tighten down the body mount, maybe just a little less stress would be put on that mount point due to the shims. if it is tight without the shims then why would you need them? Mine had a small gap so the shims filled the gap and would eliminate/reduce any stress during torquing the mount.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Quil
Drifting

Originally Posted by steveale
Yeah, I think my AIM said "2 typical" but mine only had one on each side. 2 fit so I put in 2 per the aim. I don't know that it really matters when you tighten down the body mount, maybe just a little less stress would be put on that mount point due to the shims. if it is tight without the shims then why would you need them? Mine had a small gap so the shims filled the gap and would eliminate/reduce any stress during torquing the mount.
That's my concern...there is a small gap there now. Although I haven't finished loosely installing the other mounts on that side yet...

I'll see where it sits after all the other hardware for the other mounts is in place.

Steveale, did you see my earlier question about your mount cushions?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I believe the roadsters get an aluminum spacer on that body mount and the coupes get a rubber one, that is the difference you see in the pictures.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 PM
steveale
Drifting

I'll have to look at the aim. Didn't know there was a difference between coupe and roadster. Not seen a metal only mount. Other may know more than I.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Long Island catalog shows item 53-01P as the aluminum spacer, 64-67 roadsters only. Not sure what 63's used.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Long Island catalog shows item 53-01P as the aluminum spacer, 64-67 roadsters only. Not sure what 63's used.
63's didn't use any rubber cushion body mounts - they were all solid metal-to-metal. When the rubber cushion mounts were introduced in '64, all the mount brackets on the frame changed (got lower) to accommodate the additional thickness of the rubber cushions. '64-'67 convertibles ALWAYS used solid aluminum mounts at the #1 mount location, and '64-'67 coupes ALWAYS used rubber cushions at #1.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Quil
Drifting

Well, I got them all in there tonight. Haven't tightened them up yet...will do that tomorrow and where I need shims. Hopefully everything looks pretty good right off the bat.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on body mount #1 (firewall) for '67 convertible

Quick Reply: Question on body mount #1 (firewall) for '67 convertible