C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Edelbrock 1406 needs spacer

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:20 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Edelbrock 1406 needs spacer

The saga continues. Bought an Edelbrock carb to replace the worn out Carter Quadrajet. Now I realize I will need a spacer to mount the carb to the '68 3919803 intake I have.

The hood is off the car, but I am assuming I won't have clearance with an additional inch of carb height.

Has anyone used this carb/spacer with any luck?

Mike
Old 05-29-2014, 12:14 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

You MIGHT have clearance with a drop base air cleaner, but I doubt it. The intake and spacer are about 2" taller than stock.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by mcb55-210
The saga continues. Bought an Edelbrock carb to replace the worn out Carter Quadrajet. Now I realize I will need a spacer to mount the carb to the '68 3919803 intake I have.

The hood is off the car, but I am assuming I won't have clearance with an additional inch of carb height.

Mike
Depending on air cleaner usage, you may very well have a hood clearance issue...........a 1" tall spacer is a lot!

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

IIRC I tried to steer you away from that carb combo when you first asked about it.

I don't see a good resolution to this unless you find an intake manifold/air cleaner combo that can flatten that carb "sandwich" enough to fit under the hood.

I hope you kept the original packaging for that Edelbrock....

Why the spacer ? Aren't the Edelbrock and the Quadrajet both spread bore ??
Is the adapter to match variations in bore size ?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-29-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
IIRC I tried to steer you away from that carb combo when you first asked about it.

I don't see a good resolution to this unless you find an intake manifold/air cleaner combo that can flatten that carb "sandwich" enough to fit under the hood.

I hope you kept the original packaging for that Edelbrock....

Why the spacer ? Aren't the Edelbrock and the Quadrajet both spread bore ??
Is the adapter to match variations in bore size ?
Yep, went to my local Napa and he actually had the adapter. Looks like the adaptor compensates for the bore location variations. I have opted not to go that route. Had heard a lot of good about the Edelbrock, so convinced myself that was the way to go. Bought it during the winter, have all packaging, but not sure if I can return it after all this time.

Found a highly recommended carb rebuilder and stopped and talked to him today. Left my Quadrajet with him to rebuild. Should get it back Monday.

I did manage to get my new exhaust system mounted today. Think I'll fill the cooling system, add engine oil, and wind down for the night.

My, Frankie, you have a good memory!

Thanks, gentlemen.

Mike
Old 05-30-2014, 05:28 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by mcb55-210

Mike

Mike,

If the 1968 intake manifold has the heat slot under the carburetor mounting plug it with some small freeze plugs to keep that heat off the original carburetor. I think your choice is good to use the original carburetor set up.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Depends on where you bought the Edelbrock - if it was through Jegs or Summit they might just accept a return. If elsewhere, then its up for grabs. I think you'll be real happy with your rebuilt Q-jet - they are wonderful carbs.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Depends on where you bought the Edelbrock - if it was through Jegs or Summit they might just accept a return. If elsewhere, then its up for grabs. I think you'll be real happy with your rebuilt Q-jet - they are wonderful carbs.
Called Jeg's yesterday morning, after I realized it was last OCTOBER that I bought the carb. The gal said "no problem, send it back for full refund".

Hard to beat customer service like that!

Mike
Old 05-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Jeg's price, customer service and return policies are hard to top. Sounds like you are going to make out just fine all the way around.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock 1406 needs spacer

Quick Reply: Edelbrock 1406 needs spacer