C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What do I need for front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Default What do I need for front license plate?

New to me 1965 convertible.

Virginia requires plates front and rear. I acquired year of manufacture plates (brand new ones still in the original wrapping paper), and need to install them.

My front bumper has an original license plate horizontal bar in the center of the grill that is bolted to the bumpers, but has no mounting plate.

I see in catalogs where they sell the mounting plate - is that all I need, or do I also need some hardware?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:37 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

A quick check of the long island corvette supply on-line catalog shows part 06-03E, " Bolt Set For License Bracket To License Bar", which is just two bolts, two lock washers, 2 nuts. No doubt you could accomplish that need at your hardware store.

Additionally, you need 06-04C, "Front License Screws,Nuts,Bumper Set(5 Pc)", which includes 2 nylon nut inserts for the main license plate bracket, 2 screws, and a rubber bumper which also mounts to the bracket.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You will need the plate bracket. The bolts to hold it to the cross bar. Then the nylon nuts for the license plate with the correct screws and there is ruber bumper at the bottom. And to make it 100% correct there is also a S/S frame that goes around the plate
Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Awesome guys.

Most excellent.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

FYI, Ca. also requires front and rear plates. I wanted more airflow and I think the car looks better w/out the front plate so l just keep it under the pass. seat just in case I get stopped by an overly zealous P.O. Been 2 yrs. and about 8,000 miles and haven't been stopped yet.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
FYI, Ca. also requires front and rear plates. I wanted more airflow and I think the car looks better w/out the front plate so l just keep it under the pass. seat just in case I get stopped by an overly zealous P.O. Been 2 yrs. and about 8,000 miles and haven't been stopped yet.
I probably shouldn't admit it, but my daily driver C6 for the last 6 years has had no front plate, during which I lived in Hawaii and Virginia, both front plate states. In the nearly 70,000 miles I have never been stopped for it, but only one questioned and that was on base.

Add to that I drove the '65 over 200 miles with NO plates, with several police drive buys, including one state police who pulled over to ask if all was okay when I was on the side of the road. Since then I've driven it over another 200 or so miles in two states with only a long-expired (but not dated) California plate I had left over from living there over 30 years ago.

Your point is well understood.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I do not have a front plate on the Z06 or 66. I drive both weekly and it has been over three years on both of them. If I get a ticket I will just pay it. The car clubs in VA have been working hard with the legislature to change the law for a rear plate only. The State Police keep blocking it. The savings per year for the state is over a million dollars.

Check out the cruise in at Landstown Commons on Saturday afternoon. We had over 150 cars this past Saturday. Also, the Beachcombers is having a car show at Hendricks Chevrolet on this coming Sunday. I can't make the show.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Several years ago, some guy driving while on his cell phone went thru a red light and I t-boned him ripping off my front plate on my DD. The cop that came actually picked it up and threw it into my car where it stayed. My DD was otherwise ok to drive except at night.

The next evening I went to my favorite bar parking on a public street. One hour later, there was a ticket on the car for no front plate.

As for the '66 corvette, here in Ohio front plates are not needed when you have model year plates on the back.

Last edited by dahogan; 06-02-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MarkC
I do not have a front plate on the Z06 or 66. I drive both weekly and it has been over three years on both of them. If I get a ticket I will just pay it. The car clubs in VA have been working hard with the legislature to change the law for a rear plate only. The State Police keep blocking it. The savings per year for the state is over a million dollars.

Check out the cruise in at Landstown Commons on Saturday afternoon. We had over 150 cars this past Saturday. Also, the Beachcombers is having a car show at Hendricks Chevrolet on this coming Sunday. I can't make the show.
Thanks for the heads up Mark, I will actually try to make the cruise in this week, if at all possible (my time is not always my own).

Get notified of new replies

To What do I need for front license plate?

Quick Reply: What do I need for front license plate?