C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

First wax in a long time

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default First wax in a long time

I have not waxed my Corvettes in a long time because I had a great company that did it for me at a cheap price. I guess no one else thought it was a cheap price because they went out of business!
The reason I paid someone else to wax the car was because I have a bad back and all that leaning and stretching just aggravates it. Well, my back was already hurting, so I thought pain is pain, I might as well wax the '61 Corvette myself. What a mistake!!! Not only is my back worse, but now I have a bad wax job!
I couldn't remember what wax to use, so I got Carnuba wax. I guess you are supposed to put it on very thin because when I was buffing it off there was dust everywhere! Worse than that, every stress crack in the fiberglass and every small pit in the paint is a nice bright wax-white against the Honudas Maroon car! I couldn't get the wax out of those crevises because my back was hurting more. I now have a speckled Corvette. There aren't many speckles, but you guys know how it is; you know your car and you know every imperfection is!
To make my back worse, I decided that since it is in the lower 90s in Florida now, it would get hot soon; so I decided to take the hard top off for the summer. Since I have a wench (the mechanical kind), it came off pretty easy. However, I put it on the stand upside down. When I realized that, I tried to pick it up without the wench. Just made my back worse.
So, I will spend the night with a heating pad on my back and try to find another good wax service for my other Corvettes.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sorry to hear that Allen. My new lift has saved my back already on several 'undercar' adventures. But the recent leaning over those wide fenders on the '63 doing carb work has torn my back up some so I'm "chilling out" the next couple of days.

You may have been better off just going over your car with some of that quickee wax such as Lucas Speed Wax or the Turtle Wax equivalent (my favorite).
Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear about your back - hope it feels better soon.

When waxing, humidity is your enemy.
When waxing in humid conditions, you need to apply a VERY thin layer of wax, and make sure it is totally dry before removing it (which can take hours in humid conditions).

Not a sales pitch, but I also switched from wax to Zaino several years ago. It's called a "polish", but it's non-abrasive, and it's not wax-based (it's a polymer of some kind). The melting point of carnuba wax is easily exceeded on a hot summer day. The Zaino also seems to require a lot less elbow grease to apply and remove.

Last edited by SDVette; 06-08-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
Sorry to hear about your back - hope it feels better soon.

When waxing, humidity is your enemy.
When waxing in humid conditions, you need to apply a VERY thin layer of wax, and make sure it is totally dry before removing it (which can take hours in humid conditions).

Not a sales pitch, but I also switched from wax to Zaino several years ago. It's called a "polish", but it's non-abrasive, and it's not wax-based (it's a polymer of some kind). The melting point of carnuba wax is easily exceeded on a hot summer day. The Zaino also seems to require a lot less elbow grease to apply and remove.
+1 for zanio. It doesn't cake in cracks, and works great. I use it on my '14 jeep srt, '00 'vette, '67 vette, and '67 buick.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zano workes great. 2 ounces gave me 3 coats of wax. I added the hardner so it would dry faster. Secreat apply very little at a time.
Works on the chrome as well . I use the detailer after with a cloth from Zano.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some of the Zano products.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To First wax in a long time

Quick Reply: First wax in a long time