C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 AM
kkoykka
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 headers

Hello, finally about ready to put the new motor in my 56 but the headers I was planning on buying say they wont work with angle plug heads. I built a ZZ430 clone using GM Fastburn heads which have the angled plugs. I wanted to use Hooker headers but of course they say their headers wont work with the angled plug. I see that their headers say they work from 56-82 and there are some other companies that will work with angled plugs in the later years. Does anyone know if headers for say a C2 vette would fit in the C1 frame? Or does anyone have angled plugs with a C1 and can recommend a header to use?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Hmm- I hope that is not the case- I was planning on using either the Hooker 2108's or a set of Stahl headers that have the Brodix bolt pattern.

DZAuto should be able to answer that question. He has a lot of experience with the early cars.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:19 PM
kkoykka
Advanced

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Hmm- I hope that is not the case- I was planning on using either the Hooker 2108's or a set of Stahl headers that have the Brodix bolt pattern.

DZAuto should be able to answer that question. He has a lot of experience with the early cars.
Oh yea, forgot to mention. I checked Stahl too and their website says after 50 years they are going out of business. They are selling things cheap but for the C1 they are only selling the bends to make your own fender well headers from what I can see.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:14 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Yeah, I saw that Stahl doesn't make complete headers for that application anymore. I was able to pick up a very lightly used set that has the Stahl bolt pattern, for a 62 with stock chassis. The center two ports don't get pinched down like some others. Probably not a whole lot of call for those anymore.

As an aside, it is kinda sad that Stahl is going out of business. Jere Stahl built Bill Jenkins a set of headers, and Jenkins wasn't too impressed with the looks of them, but the car picked up like .3 over the set of tri y's he had previously been using. Word got around, and everybody who was anybody was having him build a set for them. Those were the days.

From Stahl website
In any event, he got the idea to build a set of 409 headers the next winter. Phone calls to Dave Strickler (York) and Bill Jenkins (90 miles from Strickler in Berwyn) resulted in an assurance they would test the headers when they came to Detroit to match race in May of 1963. When they arrived at Jere's gas station in Romulus and looked at the headers, Jenkins said he didn't think they would work (probably due to the ugly appearance). (Incidentally Jere got this first set back some 15 years ago.) Strickler said, "I gave the man my word we'd try them" and so on the race car they went. Jere won't tell the whole story of Jenkins driving the car on the highway over 120 mph and spinning off the road into a farmer's front lawn but... Bill said the seat of his pants told him they were better than the S&S tri-y's they replaced. A trip to Detroit Dragway produced the best times ever run by a Chevrolet AFX'er up to that point in time.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 06-09-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:39 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Stahl's headers were mostly good, but at times he let "theory" get ahead of reality. Stahl himself is a head case
Old 06-10-2014, 03:57 PM
62vetteuk
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

these may be ok http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/dou-d315
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, after seeing the massive response of your question, I thought I might as well chime in as, I actually have experience in this subject. My C1 drag racing series, the North Jersey Outlaws, has had several cars that run angle plug heads. The big fact that no one says is, all angle plug heads have different locations of where the plugs are located. Nice!!

What I do know for angle plug heads is:

Hedman 68130 or 68136 are a great buy. Easy install and cheap. Not made for several years. See them , buy them. I use them on my car with Brodix heads.

Hooker 2108HKR, super comps, best header over the counter. But they say no angle plugs or 168 flywheel. BS. They work with AFR 227/235 heads. Other heads, I do not know. 168 tooth fly wheel works with a mini starter with lots of clearance.

I have a set of hooker comps that fit Edlebrock heads with tube modifications that work. But do not work with the AFR heads.

Basically it is a test fit to see if it works.

If you can ship me a head, I can test fit it. Jim
Old 06-11-2014, 08:11 AM
kkoykka
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback on this. I ended up ordering a set of Dougs Headers as the ones listed above. Never tried this brand before, so I'll see how they fit and work.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

JIM- anyone using Dart 220's with the 2108's ?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
JIM- anyone using Dart 220's with the 2108's ?
Sorry, not that I know of. As I said earlier I have a spare set of 2108 super comps and a spare set of modified 2456 comps. If you send me a head, I can see if the plugs will fit. Jim
Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Originally Posted by kkoykka
Thanks for the feedback on this. I ended up ordering a set of Dougs Headers as the ones listed above. Never tried this brand before, so I'll see how they fit and work.
Hey , let us know how they work out as far as installation ease and fit. I know headers for the early cars are a challenge. I am trying to document all the combinations available. Jim
Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Default Headers

Hello, finally about ready to put the new motor in my 56 but the headers I was planning on buying say they wont work with angle plug heads. I built a ZZ430 clone using GM Fastburn heads which have the angled plugs. I wanted to use Hooker headers but of course they say their headers wont work with the angled plug. I see that their headers say they work from 56-82 and there are some other companies that will work with angled plugs in the later years. Does anyone know if headers for say a C2 vette would fit in the C1 frame? Or does anyone have angled plugs with a C1 and can recommend a header to use?

Thanks,
Kevin
I had a ZZ430 engine in my 66 and I used Hooker headers they were great!!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 AM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Default Stahl headers

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Stahl's headers were mostly good, but at times he let "theory" get ahead of reality. Stahl himself is a head case
Around 1995 I bought a set of headers from Stahl. I was assured they would fit my 1966 Vet with a ZZ430 and factory side pipes, not his side pipes, by the lady who,took the order. Apparently she was mistaken. I couldn't get them on my car so I took it to Tony's Corvette shop and they called me and said they would need serious modifications. Tony said he would call Stahl to discuss it with him. Stahl went berserk and ranted he'd been making header forever and that we were all idiots who didn't know what we were talking about. He did refund my money but I would never deal with him again. I ended up buying Hooker and they were fine. I'm just venting, I've never forgotten it. I wanted to buy Stahl Headers not fight with him. That man doesn't understand customer service. He is a head case.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:23 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

I put a set of Doug's Headers on the '62 several years ago.

I have been very happy with the quality of the product. So much so that I also put a set on the '55 Nomad!

They are a great product! I hope they haven't changed.

Pat

Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I bought Sanderson block huggers for my '61 with for the D-Port aluminum angle plug heads that come on a ZZ4. For my application theirs was the best of the best, imho. The D-ports are a real D-ports not oversize round ports. Ceramic coated in and out ...3/8" exhaust head flange plate...very well built.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...haust-headers/

This link is to the model CC5 headers I chose...lots of plug clearance and access to the plugs from the top side , rather than from the underside. Other parts of the link show a couple of other d-port header styles.

Best regards...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 04-01-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 PM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Default Headers

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
I bought Sanderson block huggers for my '61 with for the D-Port aluminum angle plug heads that come on a ZZ4. For my application theirs was the best of the best, imho. The D-ports are a real D-ports not oversize round ports. Ceramic coated in and out ...3/8" exhaust head flange plate...very well built.
I had the Sanderson cast headers on my ZZ430 before I tried the Stahl headers. They did not match up with the Fastburn heads D-port. I'm guessing the ZZ430 ports are bigger than the ZZ4.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BillbUrruss
I had the Sanderson cast headers on my ZZ430 before I tried the Stahl headers. They did not match up with the Fastburn heads D-port. I'm guessing the ZZ430 ports are bigger than the ZZ4.
Yep totally different heads...My bad... I messed the fact that they were fast burn heads..

....Stan

Get notified of new replies

To C1 headers

Quick Reply: C1 headers