C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A couple of torque thrust D questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 11:24 PM
Andy B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A couple of torque thrust D questions

I am about to purchase a set of ttd’s for the 65 and I would appreciate anyone’s input on the subject.

The tires are 215-70-15

Should I go with 15x6 or 15x7? I am leaning towards the 7’s simply because I figure they may look better.

Should I go with the standard backspacing of 3 5/8” for the 15x6’s or the 3 ¾” on the 15x7’s or special order a set with 4” backspacing. The 8” rally wheels that are on the car have 4” of backspacing so I plan on going with that offset on either the 6’s or 7’s.

So in short how does a 215-70 tire on a 15x7 ttd with 4” backspacing sound? Is this a good combination for a driver or does my girlfriend stand a good chance of cracking a fender the first time she whips it into a gas station while going way too fast?

Finally, anyone know what my chances are of landing a vintage set of ttd’s? I have called a couple of vendors that advertise in Hemmings and both said they are impossible to come by.

Thanks in advance
Andy B
Old 07-23-2002, 01:15 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (Andy B)

I don't think the TTDs - either the vintage examples or the current examples manufactured by American Racing Equipment will clear the disk brake calipers. That's why American brought out the 200S in the mid-sixties.

As far as size is concerned I think sevens are going to be iffy unless you shave the fender lips and front fender bonding strip. The six inch Rallys with +0.06" offset should be tight but okay, so any six inch wheel with near this offset should be okay, too.

Duke
Old 07-23-2002, 01:38 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Contact
Mr. Torque Thrust
311 South Pine ST.
Burlington Wa. 98233

For a Vintage set, or advice on a new set.
He knows more about these wheels than anyone. (Even A.R. anymore)
Mine have been on since 1965, they are the type with the rib
behind each spoke. they are 7's.
But my car is lowered, and the lips trimmed by 10" slicks.
(on larger rims)
Good luck!
Old 07-23-2002, 09:57 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Andy -

You can find googobs of information on American D wheels in the archives of this Forum and the NCRS Board. I would read those old posts to learn more about American wheel design changes and which versions clear old Corvette calipers.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:08 AM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (SWCDuke)

My TT2s clear my calipers on my 60 with disk brake conversion kit just fine. I bought these for my 63 but it had drums so I went with the 6" and have had no issues. I found many bodies have been repaired over the years and very widely on fender well/ fender lip fit ect. I have seen the exact tire/rim fit on one C2 or C1 and not another where incorrect repairs had been performed. I would only go with the wider tire and 7" rim if you are sure the body has not been hit or fixed in these areas and only after a pre-fit. Hate to see you buy 1,000 worth of tire/wheel and have them rub. I may sell my TT2s and they are chrome.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 07-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (andy63)

Just for the record, I purchased new TT D's for my 66 Vette in 1969, and they fit without any modifications. Understand that this wheel design has gone through revisions, and newer versions may not fit Mid years (or later) Vettes with disc brakes due to contact with the calipers.

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 07-23-2002, 03:59 PM
66c60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (Plasticman)

i bought new ttd's and they did not clear the calipers on my '66. had the back of the spokes machined. using with 215-70 bfg's 7" wheel. forgot the backspace.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:03 PM
andy60
Drifting

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (66c60)

I wonder if it is the 7". I would like to try my wheels on a late C2. Anyone in my area want to come over and try the swap?

Andy
Old 07-23-2002, 06:59 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (andy63)

If either of you, andy63 or andyB want to check mine out on my '67 let me know. I'm in Chevy Chase, drop me an e-mail. More than happy to help.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Andy B
Racer

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (Bluestripe67)

Thanks to all that have replied to my questions.

After reading everyone’s replies and since the wheel arches are now back to the stock shape I think a set of the 6” vintage wheels will be the way to go. I am also going to have another look at the s200’s, I went to the GM only event at Carlisle a month or so ago and the ttd or tt2 was on everything. The S200 might be a nice alternative, time to fire up photoshop and see what I can come up with.

396 Rat, thanks for the information, I dropped a letter in the mail addressed to Mr. Thrust this afternoon. Your car is pretty much what settled me on these wheels, that thing really looks sharp.

Andy63, great looking car! I don’t know exactly why but there is just something about the gray spoke wheel that I like over it’s chromed or polished cousin. If those where the d’s you have there we would talk!

Bluestripe67, thanks for the offer. If you are ever planning on taking a Sunday drive around the Annapolis area let me know, I’ll give you directions so you can stop by.

Andy B
Old 07-24-2002, 12:48 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Its funny how things worked out?
The Torque Thrust D's were on so many 65 and later
mid yrs because they were one of only a few wheels
that would clear the brakes. And hence became the most
popular. Why A.R screwed with the original design
is anyone's guess. Many here have called A.R. and found them
less than helpful concerning sizing on a Midyr.
A few photos on my web page show 7" wheels in 65, with Blue Streaks.
then 8" 69 wheels, then 10" Western's with slicks.
Not sure if any of this helps, but you car looks great without wheels!
So it will only get better! The correct color for the D's centers comes
from NAPA. Iron cast lacquer, in a spray can. That's what I used, that tip came from MR. Torque Thrust, Most don't realize its paint, and have had many complements.
Also ask him about the short alum centers he has A.R. make up.
Really slick. Small bolt pattern for the orig wheels, large pattern for newer wheels.
Enough blabbing....
Take care!
Old 07-24-2002, 07:44 AM
andy60
Drifting

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (396 RAT)

Same goes for you guys. If you find your way to N. Virginia give me a call or email. I drive the 60 most every day. Drove it to work today and yesterday. It was nice a cool this morning comming in.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:28 AM
BK64
Intermediate

Andy just bought TT2's 15x6 and tire size 215-65-15 I think they look great and have the right amount of fender clearance.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Tom '62-ZZ-4
Intermediate

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (BK64)

Anyone know if the current model Torq-Thrust D's will clear front disc brakes conversion on a '62? My conversion kit is from Engineered Components. (I'll post this as a separate question in CF, since this is buried way down this string)

Agree with 396Rat that Amer. Racing is less than helpful on tech questions. Guy I talked to about several questions was a poster child for "clueless."

Andy63, what model tires did you get?

Plasticman, a big Thanks for your answeres to my questions.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:48 AM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (66c60)

66c60 said:

i bought new ttd's and they did not clear the calipers on my '66. had the back of the spokes machined. using with 215-70 bfg's 7" wheel. forgot the backspace.
Is your car a Nassau Blue Coupe and did you have it at Carlisle in the Vette parking area 2 years ago, on the Friday? I saw a 65 or 66 with Virginia plates with TTD's that had a precision-machined notch in each spoke of the wheels, excellent looking work.

I was in a rush to meet someone on the other side of the grounds so I didn't have time to leave a note on the windshield, but planned to do so on my way back past there in an hour or so. When I came back by the car was gone. I looked all over to see if it had been moved, with no luck.

If that might have been yours, who did the notching of the wheels?
Old 07-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Andy B
Racer

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (7vettes)

If I understand everything I have learned both on and off this thread in the last two days correctly it works like this:

The vintage “D” wheels in the 6” or 7” variety fit the midyear disc brake cars. The current American Racing offering of the “D” wheel will not fit a midyear without modifications to the wheel or caliper. The current tt2 from American Racing in the 6” or 7” seem to clear the calipers just fine.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

Andy B
Old 07-26-2002, 09:10 PM
TERRY VAUGHAN
Cruising

ANDY IF YOU CAN RUN AN 8" VETTE RALLEY HOW WOULD YOU LIKE VINTGE TORQ THRUST DESIGN(STRAIGHT SPOKE) THAT IS SIXTEEN YES 16X8 WITH ZERO OFFSET JUST LIKE A VETTE RALLEY. BRAND NEW IN THE BOX. 975.00 SET OF 4 PLUS UPS.
EMAIL ME . TVAUGHAN@CNW.COM
TERRY

Get notified of new replies

To A couple of torque thrust D questions

Old 07-26-2002, 09:17 PM
TERRY VAUGHAN
Cruising

DUKE : 200S CAME OUT IN 1969 AND FIT NEWER WIDER VETTES. 1965 WE HAD TORQ THRUST"D" FOR VETTES AND R MODLE MUSTANGS(MAINLY)WITH DISC BRAKE PROBLEMS THEY WHERE AVAILABLE IN 6" AND 7" WITH 3 3/4" BACKSPACE.
THE 15X6.75 200S WORKED WELL ON THE EARLIER VETTE ALSO. TERRY
Old 07-27-2002, 01:36 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: A couple of torque thrust D questions (TERRY VAUGHAN)

Thanks for the heads-up, Terry. Can you type your posts in lower case. They'd be much easier to read.

Duke
Old 08-13-2002, 01:26 PM
docbum
Instructor

I just ordered from Jegs- TT II's . They are 15x8 all around with 4.5 inch offset. I have SS brake conversion to all wheel disc. I will be mounting 225/70/15 on front and 245/60/15 on back. Any issues to be concerned with? It is still early enough to cancel.
I had ordered crager ss from summit which didn't clear the calipers. This was a big problem, needless to say. :eek:

Quick Reply: A couple of torque thrust D questions