C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

3x2 67 427 end carbs dumping fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM
cvette427
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3x2 67 427 end carbs dumping fuel

My 3X2 carbs on my 67 are just dumping fuel into the engine. Center carb is good but the engine will barely run till it floods out and then after it shuts down the carbs can be viewed just dumping raw fuel into the engine. Doesn't always happen but it is becoming more common. Float levels are below sight holes but fuel dumping continues. Seems to be fuel pressure left in lines pushing it's way in. Put new fuel pump on last fall and better for a while but now worse than ever. Rebuild kits? Any good sources that don't sell junk? Suggestions?
cvette427
Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like fuel percolation.

Before you start the car again after this condition, please read this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...rcolation.html
Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 AM
cvette427
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Welcome! Sounds like fuel percolation.

Before you start the car again after this condition, please read this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...rcolation.html
Looks a lot like the video but this happens after the car has been sitting for weeks without starting and the engine is completely cold on startup. I don't know much about carbs but could the metering block gaskets allow that much leakage as soon as the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel line? The carbs have not been rebuilt in many years to my knowledge.
cvette427
Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by cvette427
Looks a lot like the video but this happens after the car has been sitting for weeks without starting and the engine is completely cold on startup. I don't know much about carbs but could the metering block gaskets allow that much leakage as soon as the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel line? The carbs have not been rebuilt in many years to my knowledge.
cvette427
The end carburetors have a metering plate not a metering block. This arrangement is like the 4160 Holley 4V used on the 66-67 Corvette engines.

The metering plate warps very easily and should be removed and sanded flat and the main body checked for flatness along with using the correct gaskets for reassembly. This plate has six or so clutch head screws that attach it to the main body and if they are overtightened that can also bend the plate. It's also a good idea to check the main body bottom and throttle body for flatness and install a new gasket.

The Holley modular design works good if all the surfaces are flat but if not they will drive you crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To 3x2 67 427 end carbs dumping fuel

Quick Reply: 3x2 67 427 end carbs dumping fuel