C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

tach cable optimum length?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default tach cable optimum length?

ANY members who have a Idea of the best length of tach cable? PLS submit your thoughts.....

my cable is shot and has a definite "s" curve in it(permanent) hard as can be...and I do have the 90* adapter on dizzy... so instead of getting one from Corvette suppliers I thought I would try the local speedometer shop...mine is 24" long ,black outer with the respective nut's on each end....SO what would be a guesstimate of the optimal length of replacement cable? for 67? any members have a guess?.... my experience is most seem too long
Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Usafstingray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why you need the 90 deg adapter. It's a pretty straight shot through the firewall to the dizzy. 22 inches.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 AM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default cable

thanks for your reply...I was just trying to figure out the best length and thought some members may have been there ..done that
the reason for the 90* fitting is ...if you have dizzy shielding the dizzy has to be in a certain position to have the vacuum pod coming out at the correct position there is only some much room to be in the correct position.... and still have the ability to move the dizzy to get (in my case 6* BTDC)...I actually had to move the dizzy back one tooth to get the correct position cuz the vacuum pod hits the vertical upright that supports the shielding

the cable port on the dizzy is just about facing the fire wall and thats where the hard bend comes in on the cable resulting in (cable separating from the crimpted fitting) that is at the end of the cable ... so the stock cable is now 3-4" too long and rides on the back of the manifold/dizzy shielding.....so I did have a custom length made that is
3 1/2" shorter and now the cable doesn't touch anything as it comes through the firewall and bends to the dizzy

Originally Posted by Usafstingray
Not sure why you need the 90 deg adapter. It's a pretty straight shot through the firewall to the dizzy. 22 inches.

Last edited by bluzrocker; 06-13-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:42 AM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
..I actually had to move the dizzy back one tooth to get the correct position cuz the vacuum pod hits the vertical upright that supports the shielding

:
Bluzrocker,

Vacuum can hitting coil bracket or riser on intake manifold is a hint that your distributor drive gear is off "1/2 tooth". Search the archives for more info. Remove distributor and rotate drive gear 180*. The dimple on the drive gear should now be pointed at the rotor. Reinstall the distributor and the vacuum can will now line up midway between the coil bracket and intake manifold runner. 13 teeth on the drive gear so 1 tooth equals about 28*. Moving the distributor one tooth moves the vacuum can 28*. Rotating drive gear 180* moves your reference 1/2 tooth or approx 14*

This will now orient the tach drive cable for a more direct route not requiring the 90* adapter.

I recall the correct length for tach cable is 25 1/2"

Assume your plug wires are indexed correctly, ie, #1 wire is on first tower clockwise from distributor window.

Above applies to SBC not sure about BBC

Randy

Last edited by 66RBS; 06-13-2014 at 03:47 AM. Reason: added note re indexing
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by 66RBS
Bluzrocker,

Vacuum can hitting coil bracket or riser on intake manifold is a hint that your distributor drive gear is off "1/2 tooth". Search the archives for more info. Remove distributor and rotate drive gear 180*. The dimple on the drive gear should now be pointed at the rotor. Reinstall the distributor and the vacuum can will now line up midway between the coil bracket and intake manifold runner. 13 teeth on the drive gear so 1 tooth equals about 28*. Moving the distributor one tooth moves the vacuum can 28*. Rotating drive gear 180* moves your reference 1/2 tooth or approx 14*

This will now orient the tach drive cable for a more direct route not requiring the 90* adapter.

I recall the correct length for tach cable is 25 1/2"

Assume your plug wires are indexed correctly, ie, #1 wire is on first tower clockwise from distributor window.

Above applies to SBC not sure about BBC

Randy

Just keep in mind the lower distributor gear dimple lines with the rotor tip BUT on some aftermarket camshafts the gear needs to be turned 180* for the vacuum control to center itself between the coil bracket and intake manifold runner.

There is nothing wrong with the cam, it's just the way it was made.

Get notified of new replies

To tach cable optimum length?

Quick Reply: tach cable optimum length?