C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear spring replacement

Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
histoy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rear spring replacement

I'll be replacing the rear springs in a few weeks, so I've been reading some of the posts to prepare for the job. A couple have noted that using the stock bolts with the 9 leaf spring will make the rear end sit too high. Substituting 8" or even 10" bolts has been suggested as a cure for this. Do you guys recommend this initially, then switch to the correct length bolts later as the spring sags?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by histoy
I'll be replacing the rear springs in a few weeks, so I've been reading some of the posts to prepare for the job. A couple have noted that using the stock bolts with the 9 leaf spring will make the rear end sit too high. Substituting 8" or even 10" bolts has been suggested as a cure for this. Do you guys recommend this initially, then switch to the correct length bolts later as the spring sags?
Depends which spring you start with - most of the no-name replacements (none of which have the correct number of leaves or configuration) come from Brazil, Pakistan, India, etc., and almost all of them jack the back end of the car WAY up in the air (which created the cottage industry for 8" and 10" spring link bolt kits).

If you go with the Eaton-Detroit 9-leaf reproduction spring, you can use the correct stock mounting parts and the rear ride height will settle to correct within 100 miles of installing it.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
... If you go with the Eaton-Detroit 9-leaf reproduction spring, you can use the correct stock mounting parts and the rear ride height will settle to correct within 100 miles of installing it.
John, what's the best source for the Eaton spring?

GUSTO
Old 06-13-2014, 11:23 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Order right from the factory......http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/
Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by dkleather
Order right from the factory......http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/
Correct! When you get Mike Eaton on the phone, order your spring without paint - saves you the trouble of stripping the black shipping paint off of it when you disassemble it before you paint it gray and install a set of Quanta liners (if that's your plan); otherwise just install it and remove the shipping clips.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 PM
histoy
Racer

Thanks for the info guys. I had already purchased a "no-name" spring from Corvette America, so I guess I'll go to Fastenal and pick up a pair of 8" bolts & nuts.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

that was only 21 hours from the time you first asked for advise. No one can say that you over think this stuff....
Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,922 Likes on 4,771 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by histoy
Thanks for the info guys. I had already purchased a "no-name" spring from Corvette America, so I guess I'll go to Fastenal and pick up a pair of 8" bolts & nuts.
if you look at the specs from GM good old hard wear store bolts wont cut it
Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 PM
histoy
Racer

Excellent point. Fastenal has been able to supply me with all the correct strength hardware I've needed for any of my old car projects. I plan to take an original with me and have them get me a longer one with the equivalent strength. They'll have time to get me what I need because I probably won't get to this project until after we return from Bloomington Gold.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear spring replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear spring replacement