C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help with 65 PB Setup

Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Default Need help with 65 PB Setup

Morning All

My 65 project is coming along and I'm at the firewall buildup stage to get the body ready for installation back on the chassis.This is a factory Power Brake car.

I knew when I pulled the PB Booster and Master Cylinder that both were in sad shape and I thought I might be able to rebuild the MC and replace the booster. Both have been overcome with 49 years of neglect and cannot be saved (rust). I got a doublehand full of rust out of the MC and the piston is frozen in place and will not move.

So a replacement MC is $800 and I just can't see that at this time given everything that still needs $$$ attention.

The brake line set I have already installed on the chassis is a 65 Steel Brake LIne Set W/PB (3/16").

What later model master cylinder can I use on a stock 65 booster and will the current stock brake lines I have connect? Seems I remember reading on here somewhere that the line unions on my 65 car are smaller than the late model master cylinder??????

Thanks
Dennis
Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...rake-help.html
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I read the above link

My 65 has pb and when I purchased my 1st set of lines they were incorrect, the secret is the size of the lines going to the master cylinder (65 had 2 different sizes of these brake line holes). I would call Lone Star or whoever and tell them exactly what you want to do and have them "match" those lines for you to the master cylinder, then ship you the whole set and be done with it. good Luck.
Best I remember, the '65 had the same size line coming off the master cylinder, dropping down to the first junction block regardless of whether it used the 3/16" or the 1/4" main brake line.

Don't know about power.
That thread didn't really say one way or the other if the stock 65 PB lines would work with a 67 Corvette MC. I will give Corvette Brakes a ring today and see what they say on this subject.

Last edited by Mr D.; 06-16-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I you use a proportinal valve i suppose you can get new brake lines that goes from the valve to the master cylinder

If you run both front and rear brake line direct to the master cylinder the front port of a reproduction master cylinder have 1/2"-20 INV and the rear port have 9/16"-18 INV

You can use adapters that fit both the master cylinder and brake lines

You can also cut the brake lines and put on new fittings that fit the master cylinder but then you will have to flare the brake lines

Last edited by TheSaint; 06-16-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Just talked to Corvette Stainless Steel Brakes. I can use their 1967 Corvette Booster & Master Cylinder Combo ($252) and tell them the size of the unions on my lines and they will provide adapters ($20) to make all this work.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with 65 PB Setup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with 65 PB Setup