Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Default Ok lets get controversial!

Who here C1/C2 crowd could place a higher value (sentimental or monetarily) on a well built and engineered car, than for a NCRS Top Flight car in consideration of the nice Resto-Mods, the Custom Show Cars, some of the very clean Drag or Road Racing cars that make the rounds with many of our fellow forum members.
TCracingCA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
anyChevy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCracingCA View Post
Who here C1/C2 crowd could place a higher value (sentimental or monetarily) on a well built and engineered car, than for a NCRS Top Flight car in consideration of the nice Resto-Mods,
Yep, I can definitely appreciate the time, money and engineering skills that go into some of the "higher end" resto mod type cars.
And to add fuel to the fire, I think its the (distant) future of the hobby
anyChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
LincolnUSA
CF Member

For each his own. I like preserving a bit of rolling history
LincolnUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Loren Smith
CF Senior Member

I enjoy seeing both probably equally.
Loren Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Default I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of cars that would warrant reaching for the wallet!

I was watching a little bit of that auction this week, where some of the Restomods were getting higher prices than a lot of the nicely restored to Originality because some type of Pavlovian response was occurring in the crowd! I have seen some custom builds by members here on the forum that I would kill a Taliban Freedom fighter for, to have in my garage!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Default I guess you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Smith View Post
I enjoy seeing both probably equally.
Also enjoy seeing blondes, brunettes, or redheads equally?? Or do the accouterments sway you more so?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Default I guess guys like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnUSA View Post
For each his own. I like preserving a bit of rolling history
A Greenwood/Bruno's/George Barris/Baldwin Motion/Gale Banks/Callaway caused all history to cease!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Ironcross
CF Senior Member

Default For what its worth

If you have something better we can throw stones at this UNRESTORED 62.........otherwise.......

Some are better just left alone.......
Ironcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
emccomas
CF Senior Member

I personally know of two NCRS Top Flight cars that had the bodies pulled, the original chassis with running gear sold, and the bodies put on restomod chassis.

A 63 coupe and a 65 convertible.

The owners could not be happier with the cars.

Well done resto-mod cars are bringing significantly higher prices than top level restored originals.

I am a big fan of preserving history, but I would be hard pressed to do an NCRS Top Flight level restoration on something like a 62 250 hp, 4 speed, no significant options car vs. turning the same car into a quality resto-mod.

And we won't even get into the values of real race cars with significant racing history.

A quality NCRS Top Flight restored 62 Fuel Injected, big brake, big wheels, heavy duty suspension etc. is in the $100K range (perhaps a bit more).

The 62 LeMans cars, equipped basically the same way, is a $500K car. I had the honor of assisting (in a very small way) in the restoration of the 62 LeMans car.

Last edited by emccomas; 06-18-2014 at 07:22 PM.
emccomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Vettebuyer5869

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCracingCA View Post
I was watching a little bit of that auction this week, where some of the Restomods were getting higher prices than a lot of the nicely restored to Originality because some type of Pavlovian response was occurring in the crowd!
Or, its possible that some of the very high dollar selling restomods have a lot more dollars in them than the stock cars.
Vettebuyer5869 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Default Hey hey hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869 View Post
Or, its possible that some of the very high dollar selling restomods have a lot more dollars in them than the stock cars.
Nobody said that someone could come onto the thread, let alone the forum and state the obvious! What's wrong with you? That is how a thread comes to an end!

Here is one, that is better than the original!

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-18-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
KENS78SILVERANNIV
CF Senior Member

Love the look and historical significance of an all original, unrestored Corvette. Classic, timeless.... and unfortunately, mechanically outdated. When you consider the quality of aftermarket performance parts that can be bolted on these vehicles... it's really a shame they weren't available 50 years ago.
I've owned several original, stock Corvettes... but usually end up beefing up the suspension... intake... cam...carb.. and exhaust just to bring the vehicle into the 21st century.
I can always turn it back into the mechanical fossil that GM shipped out 50 years ago.
KENS78SILVERANNIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
rtruman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcross View Post
If you have something better we can throw stones at this UNRESTORED 62.........otherwise.......

Not to change the subject that's my 39 chevy business coup
in the background I did that car in 1980 I know the car and have pictures to prove it ,Small world for sure.
rtruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

<sarcasm>

If the Restomod had a restamped engine and a Pertronix, running a Quickfuel carb, I might value it higher than a restored car with radial tires, synthetic oil, and a reproduction TRIM tag. Unless the restored car was a genuine Barn Find, found in a garage without a barn in sight. Then I'd prefer the restored car - particularly if it was fully restored with custom paint, chrome, Cragar SS mags, and a hurst. You know, restored.

But if either of them insisted on letting their hoods fly open at every car show, to show off their Harry Hot Rod parts, then I wouldn't want either one of them.

</sarcasm>
62Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
Roger Walling
CF Senior Member

No one has mentioned how it feels to re-design a car into your own creation and the proud feeling of making it "your" car.

In my opinion, anyone can unbolt a part, clean it, polish it and put it back in place.
(Although I wonder about some of the posters on this forum)
It takes real skill to modify something to your desired standards. After I sandblasted my frame, I was appalled at the factory welds and just had to do something about them.
And the list goes on...
I can’t see how a driver, that runs better, corners and rides better could be worth less than a car that has inherent faults.
Roger Walling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Tossin
CF Senior Member

I figure it's their car, they can do what they want with it.

I don't appreciate people telling me what I should do to my car, so I don't tell them what to do with theirs.

That said, I can appreciate the work that goes into any flavor of these cars even if it's not my particular cup of tea.
Tossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #17
GUSTO14
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcross View Post

Wally, a little mishap with the license plate I see... Time to trade it in?

Oh and I couldn't agree more!

Good luck... GUSTO
GUSTO14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
nassau66427
CF Senior Member

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey

In 40 years, will today's 'Restomods' be viewed in the same manner as 70's customs are today?

"Ewww, that car is so 2010 - what were they thinking (drinking, smoking)?"

Just buy a new Corvette and tell people it's a Restomodded '50s/'60s whatever with custom body work! (One look at the tail lights, and they'll believe you).
nassau66427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #19
DucatiDon
CF Senior Member

Both equally. But I would rather own, and be more proud to own a piece of history.
A restomod is a cool project if you have money to throw away. Id rather have a new vette and a couple old vettes than one Restomod.
DucatiDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
4 Speed Dave
CF Senior Member

I like both, as to create each one take a serious amount of money, time and dedication to see the project through completion. However it is the N**S "You have the wrong hose clamp" or "Those are the wrong bolt heads" type people I can do without when viewing everyone's car as if everyone should give a rats behind what they think.

Last edited by 4 Speed Dave; 06-18-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: NCRS is a bad word I forgot to ** part of it out, sorry
4 Speed Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Ok lets get controversial!