C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Revivification of a 63 Split Window

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Wow, it has been a while since I have posted updates on this build, but it is progressing, slowly and much has been accomplished.

Today I dropped off the rest of the engine parts at the machine shop. This guy is slow as all &A%^$m, so I am sure we wont see the engine again until Christmas.
The oil pan turned out really nice, but it took about 10 hours of work to smooth it out, coat it with epoxy primer, smooth it out again, coat it again with epoxy primer, then finally top coat with Quanta products chevy orange. The car will be dropped back off at paint soon, so we are hoping to start final assembly in winter. Ill start posting pictures of the chassis rebuild as soon as it is back from the blasters.

Damn Chris, that car is going to be like all your projects. Better than new for the next owner to enjoy. Hope you are surviving well from the horrible weather passing by.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:26 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Damn Chris, that car is going to be like all your projects. Better than new for the next owner to enjoy. Hope you are surviving well from the horrible weather passing by.
Thanks Rich! Fortunately this one isn't going anywhere and will remain in the family to be enjoyed. This build is for my father and we are making it into a nice restoration with mild upgrades that will make it more user friendly.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:49 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Rich! Fortunately this one isn't going anywhere and will remain in the family to be enjoyed. This build is for my father and we are making it into a nice restoration with mild upgrades that will make it more user friendly.
Even better
Old 07-25-2015, 03:23 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

GREAT CAR......Fantastic restoration. I love it when another car is saved. Especially 63 SPLIT WINDOW cars.

I have located a very early vin in the low 600 range, 340hp, SADDLE / Black vinyl car in Santa Barbara. Found last October. We think we have discovered the original engine in a hobby garage. In 1965, the car got a ''service replacement'' short block, 340hp from Chevrolet. Intake, heads, exhaust, carb, master cylinder air cleaner, rad support all original.

I hope to have more on this car soon.

Your project gives me courage to move forward. Keep up the great work.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:37 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimgessner
GREAT CAR......Fantastic restoration. I love it when another car is saved. Especially 63 SPLIT WINDOW cars.

I have located a very early vin in the low 600 range, 340hp, SADDLE / Black vinyl car in Santa Barbara. Found last October. We think we have discovered the original engine in a hobby garage. In 1965, the car got a ''service replacement'' short block, 340hp from Chevrolet. Intake, heads, exhaust, carb, master cylinder air cleaner, rad support all original.

I hope to have more on this car soon.

Your project gives me courage to move forward. Keep up the great work.
It's quite the undertaking Jim, but as long as time is not an issue and you have skills, which i know you do, its just a matter of slowly chipping away at it undertaking restoring one small piece at a time. I think the biggest issue has been finding room for all of the parts and trying to properly plan out what portion of the build needs to be addressed in what order. I keep taking advantage of special sales, so we have carpet, seat covers, suspension components, etc. sitting around that we won't need for months if not a year, hopefully not years. However, we have saved a ton of money on the 15 and 20 percent off holiday specials, so it's worth putting up with the inventory overload.
Sounds like you have a lead on an interesting project. How do you know it was a 340hp car? If it is just a VIN, do you think you will be able to locate a decent body for it?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:19 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Long story short, the original frame was not repaired correctly, so I bought a "rust free, no hit, best frame i've ever seen before" off of eBay. Well, needless to say, it turned out the other way. Instead of taking another loss, I decided to put my limited welding and fabrication skills to the test. I think I did alright! $250.00 worth of metal and 8 hours of work and the frame is repaired, for the most part...still many minor repairs and touch ups that must be made.

I left as much good metal in place as possible and overlapped for further strength. Maybe not the prettiest repair on the inside, but this frame should now be extremely solid!!!

[IMG]https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/1120x2000/80-image_2a0fd0835ffbddbf2da584076609742b8e 8f92bc.jpg[/IMG

Last edited by 65silververt; 08-24-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Here are a few more shots. Now I just need to finish touching up the welds and attach the body mount.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice job Chris!
Old 08-25-2015, 01:36 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle
Nice job Chris!
Thanks! This was my first frame repair. My welding skills are very slowly improving.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice work!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

It's quite the undertaking Jim, but as long as time is not an issue and you have skills, which i know you do, its just a matter of slowly chipping away at it undertaking restoring one small piece at a time. I think the biggest issue has been finding room for all of the parts and trying to properly plan out what portion of the build needs to be addressed in what order. I keep taking advantage of special sales, so we have carpet, seat covers, suspension components, etc. sitting around that we won't need for months if not a year, hopefully not years. However, we have saved a ton of money on the 15 and 20 percent off holiday specials, so it's worth putting up with the inventory overload.
Sounds like you have a lead on an interesting project. How do you know it was a 340hp car? If it is just a VIN, do you think you will be able to locate a decent body for it?
Body has never been damaged. Paint was stripped in 1979 and then primer red to cover. Then the car was stored all these years. Car has the HIGH RPM 6500 tach. Also the history is known. Car was sold new at WASHBURN CHEVROLET, Santa Barbara. It may have been the first Split Window sold in Southern California. The history research is interesting. I hear three owners from new. Car was stored in San Francisco for many years when owner # 2 moved north.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Body has never been damaged. Paint was stripped in 1979 and then primer red to cover. Then the car was stored all these years. Car has the HIGH RPM 6500 tach. Also the history is known. Car was sold new at WASHBURN CHEVROLET, Santa Barbara. It may have been the first Split Window sold in Southern California. The history research is interesting. I hear three owners from new. Car was stored in San Francisco for many years when owner # 2 moved north.
Sounds like a nice car! Will be looking forward to the build thread.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Great job!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:48 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Thanks Scott! It's a work in progress! The whole reason I bought this frame/chassis was to avoid this exact situation. Im done with big eBay purchases unless i can put my hands and eyes directly on the item before handing over the cash!!!!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:34 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Spent 30 minutes cutting out the passenger end plate, removing debri, and inspecting the metal. Before blasting, the plate looked fine, but after a 1/4 inch hole was visible. If you ever wonder why these frames rust out so badly at the end of the main rails it's because that area traps debri, then the debri absorbs moisture and holds it. Fortunately this side isn't bad. I'll splice in a few small pieces of metal for reinforcement and add a new end cap and the frame should be good to go.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:13 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Spent 30 minutes cutting out the passenger end plate, removing debri, and inspecting the metal. Before blasting, the plate looked fine, but after a 1/4 inch hole was visible. If you ever wonder why these frames rust out so badly at the end of the main rails it's because that area traps debri, then the debri absorbs moisture and holds it. Fortunately this side isn't bad. I'll splice in a few small pieces of metal for reinforcement and add a new end cap and the frame should be good to go.

I would use SEM rust mort and seal it or SEM rust seal through the entire inside of the frame
Old 08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

That's the plan, or at least to use some product to coat the entire inside of the frame. The place in Mississippi that used to dip and e coat frames no longer performs and de-rusting. sucks!

Get notified of new replies

To The Revivification of a 63 Split Window

Old 08-29-2015, 11:11 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Chris.

Frame repair is vaguely familiar. I had my frame sandblasted, performed repairs and then had the frame electrochemically stripped and rust preventative applied. When I got it back from the chemical treatment I found additional areas needing repair that was not revealed by the sandblasting. Couple of cracked welds in the front area of the frame that the sand packed into during the sandblast procedure. The chemical strip disclosed them so I could repair them before painting the frame.

Unfortunate that your local chemical strip facility is no longer doing frames.

Keep up the great work

Rich
Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

[QUOTE=BADBIRDCAGE;1590372931]Hey Chris.

Frame repair is vaguely familiar. I had my frame sandblasted, performed repairs and then had the frame electrochemically stripped and rust preventative applied. When I got it back from the chemical treatment I found additional areas needing repair that was not revealed by the sandblasting. Couple of cracked welds in the front area of the frame that the sand packed into during the sandblast procedure. The chemical strip disclosed them so I could repair them before painting the frame.

Unfortunate that your local chemical strip facility is no longer doing frames.

Keep up the great work

Yes, the EPA is making it difficult for all of these companies to stay in business, even the less toxic ones. Soon chrome will be a thing of the past.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:14 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

The frame is now in SPI epoxy primer. I still have a few repairs to make, but the humidity is too high to leave the rest bare.

Quick Reply: The Revivification of a 63 Split Window