C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Peter Brock speaking at Bloomington Gold

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:23 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Peter Brock speaking at Bloomington Gold

Hello all, my good friend Peter Brock, designer of the original Sting Ray Racer, has several scheduled speaking engagements at Bloomington Gold this week. I am sure several of you C2 (and C1!) Guys will be attending the event so, if there is any chance you can make it out to visit Peter I am sure you will find it well worth the trip. Peter is new to the forum and I'll let him know I posted here so he can give further details about his speaking engagements.

Yes, this is a shameless plug but I can't express how interesting Peter's perspective is on the design of the Sting Ray Racer and it's subsequent evolution into the C2 Corvette. I'm sure those who know Peter will chime in and confirm he is all around one hell of a guy.

A little info:

"In 1957 Brock was one of the youngest designers ever hired by GM Styling. He gives automotive enthusiasts his revealing insider's look into what it was like working directly under GM's famed executive team of Bill Mitchell, Harley Earl, Zora Arkus-Duntov and Ed Cole, who risked their careers by flaunting corporate mandate to create one of America's most iconic designs"

Aside from designing the Sting Ray Racer at GM Peter went on to become Carrol Shelby's first employee where he designed the Cobra Daytona Coupe.

Be sure to stop by and say Hi to Peter!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM
0BrockRacingEnt
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the mention Brian. We've posted the details of the seminars (description, location, time, etc) at the following two links (event section of the Corvette Forum). In addition Peter will be autographing his book on the Origins of the '63 Sting Ray at the BRE booth near the entrance of the Food Court Fri thru Sun.

Bloomington Seminar 10:15-11:45am: Peter Brock to share personal pics/stories of SS at Sebring '57
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nati...ring-57-a.html

Bloomington Seminar Fri 2:30-3:45:Peter Brock shares insider info/sketches on Sting Ray(C2) origins
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nati...2-origins.html
Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Brocck speak at a recent local Corvette club event. He is a great speaker, with great history to relate, and his book should be in every C2 owners library.
Bruce
Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by b_pappy
I had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Brocck speak at a recent local Corvette club event. He is a great speaker, with great history to relate, and his book should be in every C2 owners library.
Bruce

His book is fantastic. I hung on every word
Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by donbayers

His book is fantastic. I hung on every word
Yup !

Got my signed copy a few months back and sat down after dinner to browse through it. I wound up missing my bedtime reading it cover-to-cover like a great mystery novel (which it is)!!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

May have to go to BG Friday morning.

My interest is mainly the Duntov SS car. It's always been my favorite Corvette. It would be great to hear actually first hand information about the Sebring racing effort.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 06-25-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Maybe as a back drop we can park a Shelby Daytona Coupe there at Bloomington!

PS maybe we can also run one of the 5 or 6 cars thru the Bloomington Gold standard inspection also! (I don't know if the 427 one is counted, but the final styling on that car would be one of my questions!)

OOPS! Did I just say that????? I think I was temporarily possessed!

I hope you guys know I am joking, and Mr. Brock is truly an interesting guy to talk to!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-25-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 PM
0BrockRacingEnt
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter Brock would like to thank everyone he met at Bloomington Gold. It was an amazing event. Our photo album from the event can be viewed on the Peter Brock Designs facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2860137&type=3
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Mr. Brock is first class, all the way. Thanks so much.

Brett Henderson
Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Enjoyed speaking with Mr & Mrs Brock and getting the book.

Enjoyed meeting that amazing little puppy, too.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Meeting Mr. Brock and talking with him about his book was for me a highlight of last year's Corvettes at Carlisle!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm certainly not in to the Velocity channel, reality show, "car operas" but, even if you aren't a split window fan, Peter's new book is a fun read. The egos, talent and interplay between the GM 'heavies' and rank-and-file designers was a hoot to discover. And the intriguing methods to do stealth development of the car was pretty ballsy in a large corporate environment.

Secret meetings, purloined concept drawings by other designers, false walls to hide the project. I loved it.

Get notified of new replies

To Peter Brock speaking at Bloomington Gold

Quick Reply: Peter Brock speaking at Bloomington Gold