C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Intake Manifold Exhaust Crossover Restrictors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 PM
maxpower_454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Exhaust Crossover Restrictors?

My intake gaskets came with intake manifold exhaust crossover restrictors. Where do they go? Are they needed?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

They block the passages that allow hot exhaust gasses to cross under the carb when the engine is cold and the exhaust heat riser valve is closed .
I would install them unless you plan to drive the car in severe cold conditions .

Bill
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Make sure your heat riser valve on the RH exhaust manifold outlet is either gutted, removed, or wired permanently open before you install the blocking shims, or the RH exhaust gases won't have anywhere to go.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 PM
maxpower_454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Make sure your heat riser valve on the RH exhaust manifold outlet is either gutted, removed, or wired permanently open before you install the blocking shims, or the RH exhaust gases won't have anywhere to go.
Ok, so I think I figured out that the riser valve restricts the exhaust flow through the RH manifold and forces more of it through a port in the head or something that crosses over through the intake to the left hand side. I think my RH exhaust manifold has the valve removed and the hole blocked off in the plate.

Would the restrictors matter at all if they were installed or not in this situation? I'm thinking not and maybe I want to block it off completely? The shims I have just restrict the flow. They have a hole in the center to let some through. Does anyone sell block off plates or should I just make some out of sheet metal?

Last edited by maxpower_454; 06-25-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
Ok, so I think I figured out that the riser valve restricts the exhaust flow through the RH manifold and forces more of it through a port in the head or something that crosses over through the intake to the left hand side. I think my RH exhaust manifold has the valve removed and the hole blocked off in the plate.

Would the restrictors matter at all if they were installed or not in this situation? I'm thinking not and maybe I want to block it off completely? The shims I have just restrict the flow. They have a hole in the center to let some through. Does anyone sell block off plates or should I just make some out of sheet metal?
block of plates should be stainless steel so they don't burn thru. the ones with holes in are for engines with the choke heat tube in the exhaust crossover passage of the intake manifold to make sure the heat tube gets hot
Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Percolation

Originally Posted by maxpower_454

Maxpower,

The reason to block them off is to prevent carburetor percolation due to heat from the exhaust cross over under the carb that can cause Percolation / driveability problems during extended idling or slow operation - or hard starting.

I installed restricted/blocked off manifold gaskets and removed the riser for these reasons and have had none of the issues since.

Felpro gasket is 1204

Phil

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Manifold Exhaust Crossover Restrictors?

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Exhaust Crossover Restrictors?