C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Battery Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Battery Removal

1966 vert, L79, aftermarket a/c with battery on drivers side. My battery is at least 3 years old but probably much older. I would like to replace it. The opening to get the battery out does not look large enough. I am afraid of spilling battery acid as it looks like the battery will have to be rolled over on its side. The clutch rod and master cylinder are in the way. So, any advice on removing the battery? Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Did they not cut out the the inner fender like factory AC cars and have a bolt in door
Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MarkC
1966 vert, L79, aftermarket a/c with battery on drivers side. My battery is at least 3 years old but probably much older. I would like to replace it. The opening to get the battery out does not look large enough. I am afraid of spilling battery acid as it looks like the battery will have to be rolled over on its side. The clutch rod and master cylinder are in the way. So, any advice on removing the battery? Thanks
Wrap the battery in a trash bag & roll it out. I have a 56 Caddy with the battery at floor board level under the hood behind the left tire, same situation as you, that's what I do.

Dan
Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Did they not cut out the the inner fender like factory AC cars and have a bolt in door
Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face, the car does have a removal panel. It still looks like a lot of work but very doable. Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

If you're worried about acid keep some baking soda on hand.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face, the car does have a removal panel. It still looks like a lot of work but very doable. Thanks for the responses.
It is a bit of a pain in the arz. Jack up the left front, remove the l/f tire, remove the access panel (eight bolts). You're not going to want to do this very often so spend the money for a good Group 24 battery. I chose a Delco 72 month guaranteed replacement battery and I keep it hooked up to a Battery Minder. Also, if you don't have one already, invest in a battery cutoff switch to attach to the negative side of the battery and keep it unscrewed when storing your car. New battery will have a sealed top, so negligible chance of spilling any acid. I like the above advice of wrapping the old one in plastic before attempting to remove if it has battery caps.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
It is a bit of a pain in the arz. Jack up the left front, remove the l/f tire, remove the access panel (eight bolts). You're not going to want to do this very often so spend the money for a good Group 24 battery. I chose a Delco 72 month guaranteed replacement battery and I keep it hooked up to a Battery Minder. Also, if you don't have one already, invest in a battery cutoff switch to attach to the negative side of the battery and keep it unscrewed when storing your car. New battery will have a sealed top, so negligible chance of spilling any acid. I like the above advice of wrapping the old one in plastic before attempting to remove if it has battery caps.
you guys crack me up. we are talking about something that needs to be done 7-8 years or so. look at some of the newer cars and where there battery is. if this is the hardest job you have of replacing a battery in a 47 year old car you might what to rethink your hobbies and start writing checks.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
The battery in the car is fine now but I will change it within the next 60 days. I have decided to put an Optima group 24 red top. In doing research on batteries, I think the odds of a battery blowing up is less with an Optima. I had a group 31 Interstate blow up last weekend on my boat. I do not want to experience that again. The boat now has three Optima group 31 blue tops. There was no damage to the boat because the explosion was contained in a compartment. It was a mess to clean up, 6 boxes of baking soda.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:52 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

The battery in the car is fine now but I will change it within the next 60 days. I have decided to put an Optima group 24 red top. In doing research on batteries, I think the odds of a battery blowing up is less with an Optima. I had a group 31 Interstate blow up last weekend on my boat. I do not want to experience that again. The boat now has three Optima group 31 blue tops. There was no damage to the boat because the explosion was contained in a compartment. It was a mess to clean up, 6 boxes of baking soda.
Battery explosions are rare. They happen when a battery emits hydrogen gas, which it does in dangerous amounts when over-charged especially in confined non-ventilated spaces.

Any battery can explode. The best way to avoid it is to maintain a proper charging system including good, clean connections.

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Removal

Quick Reply: Battery Removal