C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

hard top hoist works great - any concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:00 AM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default hard top hoist works great - any concerns?

Anyone try this for one man hard top removal and storage? I had a blast lifting the hard top with a cordless drill but am wondering if there is a risk of damaging the rubber gaskets.

The 2 1/2" webbing supports most of the load with the bicycle hoist in back holding about 10#. The hoist is rated 250# and has six 3" lag bolts firmly into truss chords, so I'm not worried about it falling.

I marked tire centerlines on floor for accurate repositioning, I hope! Haven't tried putting the top back on.

Sorry about the rotated photos - they show correctly in Photobucket...

Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

yes, long term storage using straps that rest on the weatherstrip will cause the weatherstrips to deform. find someway to bridge the weatherstrip and it will be fine.
Bill
Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 AM
survivor66
Racer

Originally Posted by wmf62
yes, long term storage using straps that rest on the weatherstrip will cause the weatherstrips to deform. find someway to bridge the weatherstrip and it will be fine.
Bill
Thanks, that's what I want to avoid. Any other concerns about overall integrity of the top?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by survivor66
Thanks, that's what I want to avoid. Any other concerns about overall integrity of the top?
well.... i would support the front closer to the front and the back part about where it attaches to the body right behind the doors. it would be OK to use your supports under the center of the rear window to stabilize the top but not to carry any weight.
Bill
Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

A one-man hardtop lift was built using these parts. With coupon discounts, about 40 bucks:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...lzIjoiNi45OSJ9

6 total of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...nch-65688.html

Micro fiber towels were used where necessary to protect paint.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by survivor66
The hardtop for my '63 was supported in a somewhat similar manner for many years. During that time the stress on the fiberglass, being somewhat different from what it sees when installed on the car, slightly warped the top.

When I installed it on my roadster, there were 3/8" gaps above the vent pane frames. That's the bad news.

The good news is that fiberglass has a memory and after being on the car for a couple of weeks, the gaps closed and the top fit as normal.

Jim
Old 06-26-2014, 02:59 PM
survivor66
Racer

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The hardtop for my '63 was supported in a somewhat similar manner for many years. During that time the stress on the fiberglass, being somewhat different from what it sees when installed on the car, slightly warped the top.

When I installed it on my roadster, there were 3/8" gaps above the vent pane frames. That's the bad news.

The good news is that fiberglass has a memory and after being on the car for a couple of weeks, the gaps closed and the top fit as normal.

Jim
Good insight, thanks Jim. I like the "happy ending"!

Get notified of new replies

To hard top hoist works great - any concerns?

Quick Reply: hard top hoist works great - any concerns?