C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Never had this happen before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Never had this happen before?

I am hooking up my Borgeson steering unit. Borgeson sends you two hydraulic hoses both are rated at 2600 pounds. Both are metal reinforced Hydraulic lines. The return line is 3/8ths ID and the return tube on the pump is 3/8 OD so no problem, right?

Not right I have tried everything that I can think of too slide the return line over the small flair in the return tube, It will not go, period.
I have tried to flare the return line but with this much steel reinforcement it will not flare.

Soooo other then getting another line, got any ideas? I was thinking of cutting off the flare on the return tube but figured even a torgued down bandid clamp would eventually slide off???

Oiled the inside of the return line
Flared it as much as I could with a tapered punch, never worked
Blew a nut trying to get it on, can't do it
Passed wind from the exertion trapped under a car.... I have been to hell and back
Any ideas out there?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:41 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Seems like I remember sometime back someone strongly recommending that the return line be put on the before you install it to avoid just this problem. With you under the car sounds like its installed.

Know that's not much help.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kingwoodvette
Seems like I remember sometime back someone strongly recommending that the return line be put on the before you install it to avoid just this problem. With you under the car sounds like its installed.

Know that's not much help.
Thought it would be worth a try, so removed the pump and line and Nope.... won't go, in fact I am dangerously close on breaking the neck on the pump. So clamped it and tried, it will not go on

really don't want to file the flare because of wall thickness, never had this happen before.... normally easy smeashy.
No idea why they need a 2600 pound line on the return anyway, when a bandid clamp is obviously far less then that. There should be only 30-40 pounds on the return line at most??????

Last edited by TC233; 06-28-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
No idea why they need a 2600 pound line on the return anyway, when a bandid clamp is obviously far less then that. There should be only 30-40 pounds on the return line at most??????
That was my first question - the return line at the pump only needs enough clamp to keep it from falling off, not a hydraulic-grade fitting.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM
tri blk 65
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used regular power steering return hose on mine low presure
Old 06-28-2014, 08:45 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Stainless braided hose is NOT designed to slip over barbed fittings of the same size. I know it sounds retarded, but it is so. Braided stainless hose is only intended to install on the compression connection fittings designed for them. Barbed fittings require the hose to stretch to go over the connection, and braided hose will not stretch, by its design. You will need to install an end fitting, and then install a barbed fitting into the end fitting, and then use a short piece of rubber hose to connect the two. I have seen guys fight these hoses for hours trying to get them to fit. You might be able to get it over if you take a small screwdriver and slip it between the braid and the hose, and loosen up the braid enough to allow the hose to stretch.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

No idea why I have two 2600 pound lines. All I know is the return line will not open up at all. I tried opening up the end of the house with a tapered spike. All it does is push the rubber inside the hose through the metal reinforcement. Looks like I will be going to the local hydraulic shop to have another one built.
One of the things you do not have to put up with but us Canucks do, is Metric threads. Because this pump is US its SAE threading so you just don't walk in and ask for a hose for a power steering pump.

I have one bolt pack on the wall for SAE and one for Metric
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

This is probaly a stupid suggestion but, did you try calling Borgeson with your question?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I fought this same thing recently...almost broke the spout on the pump and I didn't want to take the pump off the car (lazy).

I used dish soap on the inside of the hose and got it to go far enough to get a clamp over the end and it has been working fine.

For the money, the return hose should fit easier.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I filed the barb, stretched the hose to smithereens with a heat gun and something I hammered into it (I don't remember) and worked it on with some lube. Not easy but that's how it went.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:25 PM
GC2X4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Huh

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
This is probaly a stupid suggestion but, did you try calling Borgeson with your question?
Not a stupid question....last thing most people think of!
Common sense....not so common at times.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:35 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

with JohnZ; braided pressure rated hose is vast overkill for the return line (IF that's the line we are talking about...).
Bill
Old 06-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

oh yeah, like bosshog8 said...I used a punch to help widen the end of the hose...good times...

Custom fit = "Cuss-n-fit"
Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Stainless braided hose is NOT designed to slip over barbed fittings of the same size. I know it sounds retarded, but it is so. Braided stainless hose is only intended to install on the compression connection fittings designed for them. Barbed fittings require the hose to stretch to go over the connection, and braided hose will not stretch, by its design. You will need to install an end fitting, and then install a barbed fitting into the end fitting, and then use a short piece of rubber hose to connect the two. I have seen guys fight these hoses for hours trying to get them to fit. You might be able to get it over if you take a small screwdriver and slip it between the braid and the hose, and loosen up the braid enough to allow the hose to stretch.

Regards, John McGraw
I think I got it to fit, but by the time I did, I had whacked it so many times with a hammer, threw it across the garage 43 times, ran over it with the fork lift and took a blow torch to it at least 4 times and its only 3 inches long now

Of Course I started this job Friday after Borgeson was closed so could not call. I did not buy the Borgeson pump with the kit so I am sure that is what they will say. So I am off to the local hydraulic shop to have a hose made tomorrow. Simple job, and 3 days later and nada argh!!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The return hose does not need to handle much pressure at all. I made mine from normal automatic transmission cooler hose from O'Reilly's. Been on for 13,000 miles and works fin. Just get regular cooler hose that will fit the fittings (3/8?) and it will be fine.

sd
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Just talked to Borgeson. They said there were complaints about this issue but not that many. I asked how many in the last year and they said one. So I told them that others on this forum had issues as well and likely never called.
I asked they why even bother sending a 2600 pound steel reinforced line when its not needed. If nothing else it would be a saving to them in the long term. They checked with their tech and he assured me that their is no magic in the gearbox that would raise the output pressure on the return line and that ANY return line with the right coupling would work.
So I am off to NAPA to see if they have one. If not there is a hydraulic shop here that can make one up.

If you are doing the same thing as I am just remember to hand them the nut off of your borgeson line to insure 100% compatability hate to find out there threads are judge smidge off of normal.

PS They thanked me for feedback and told me they will take it up with the owner. Saving money and reducing frustration seems like a no brainer?

Get notified of new replies

To Never had this happen before?

Quick Reply: Never had this happen before?