C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 AC smallblock horn installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 PM
ndotti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1967 AC smallblock horn installation problem

Horns from my '67 factory air conditioned car were sent out for repair. Now that I have them back I'm trying to figure out how they are installed. Have assembly manual CD on order but hope someone has experience and/or a photo.

On non-AC car the horn brackets fit between two elongated bumps in the radiator housing and are bolted in place. But on AC car the AC radiator bracket on the driver's side is partially blocking the space where that horn bracket goes and on the passenger side there is an AC component (dryer?) somewhat in the way.

I didn't remove the horns so I don't remember how they were installed. It is almost like some other pieces are missing. I see the bolt holes and the bumps framing where the horn brackets would normally go, but things are in the way due to the AC.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

on the passenger side there is a relocation bracket on the inner fender
Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 PM
ndotti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally figured out and located the nut plate for the passenger side. Still uncertain about driver's side.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
gtavary
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C2 A/C Horn Location

Originally Posted by ndotti
Horns from my '67 factory air conditioned car were sent out for repair. Now that I have them back I'm trying to figure out how they are installed. Have assembly manual CD on order but hope someone has experience and/or a photo.

On non-AC car the horn brackets fit between two elongated bumps in the radiator housing and are bolted in place. But on AC car the AC radiator bracket on the driver's side is partially blocking the space where that horn bracket goes and on the passenger side there is an AC component (dryer?) somewhat in the way.

I didn't remove the horns so I don't remember how they were installed. It is almost like some other pieces are missing. I see the bolt holes and the bumps framing where the horn brackets would normally go, but things are in the way due to the AC.
I have the same problem. The left horn bolt Noles is covered by the condenser and the right horn location as laid out by the assembly manual puts it on a ridge of the inner fender. Would be nice to see pictures of NCRS car for proper location. Did you get yours resolved?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Greg Hollowaty
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gtavary
I have the same problem. The left horn bolt Noles is covered by the condenser and the right horn location as laid out by the assembly manual puts it on a ridge of the inner fender. Would be nice to see pictures of NCRS car for proper location. Did you get yours resolved?
You all are on the right track - Passenger side has it's own mounting plate and the drivers side uses the existing hole the is for the condenser attachment.

passenger side

drivers side

Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 PM
gtavary
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Greg Hollowaty
You all are on the right track - Passenger side has it's own mounting plate and the drivers side uses the existing hole the is for the condenser attachment.

passenger side

drivers side

Thanks Greg. I got the drivers side mounted but had to trim a little off the corner of the bracket to clear the condenser support. Seems my new condenser is a smige wider.

On the pass side, my inner fender has a hole but not the same as yours. It may have been plugged at some time over the years. There is a small hole that is close to where the bracket will go.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Greg Hollowaty
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gtavary
Thanks Greg. I got the drivers side mounted but had to trim a little off the corner of the bracket to clear the condenser support. Seems my new condenser is a smige wider.

On the pass side, my inner fender has a hole but not the same as yours. It may have been plugged at some time over the years. There is a small hole that is close to where the bracket will go.

I am working on a 67 ac car that was a total wreck and all parts were assembled wrong. I am replacing the front clip and have used the assembly manual and photo researched to get the correct assembly. My three photos that I sent are not of my car but from my collection of others that are correct. The assembly manual details the passenger side exact location - placement of the steel backer that get riveted to the wheel side of the fender well. Also details the size of the steel backer. I will post photos of my assembly tomorrow. Front clip has not been attached.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 PM
gtavary
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Greg Hollowaty
I am working on a 67 ac car that was a total wreck and all parts were assembled wrong. I am replacing the front clip and have used the assembly manual and photo researched to get the correct assembly. My three photos that I sent are not of my car but from my collection of others that are correct. The assembly manual details the passenger side exact location - placement of the steel backer that get riveted to the wheel side of the fender well. Also details the size of the steel backer. I will post photos of my assembly tomorrow. Front clip has not been attached.
The pic you sent of the pass side looks correct. The assembly manual shows the bracket mounted 1.43" below the hole in the fender liner. Your pic shows the hole but my liner don't have it. Not sure why mine has the smaller hole lower.

thanks again and good luck with the front clip.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 AC smallblock horn installation problem

Quick Reply: 1967 AC smallblock horn installation problem