C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

correct speedo cable length-66 4-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default correct speedo cable length-66 4-speed?

I've had to replaced the speedo cable in thew car because the head end snapped off of one in there that was in a grey case. The black case and cable I have in there now is much longer than the previous one. I'm wondering what the correct length is. LI Corvette lists two for 66, one for 4-speeds and one for 4 speeds and autos. I'm not sure which of the two I have in there now, but that's where I got it. My concern is I get some needle bounce under 30 mph which never happened with the other cable. I believe bounce like this tends to be caused by cable binding in the case. It's well lubed too btw.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by brucep
I've had to replaced the speedo cable in thew car because the head end snapped off of one in there that was in a grey case. The black case and cable I have in there now is much longer than the previous one. I'm wondering what the correct length is. LI Corvette lists two for 66, one for 4-speeds and one for 4 speeds and autos. I'm not sure which of the two I have in there now, but that's where I got it. My concern is I get some needle bounce under 30 mph which never happened with the other cable. I believe bounce like this tends to be caused by cable binding in the case. It's well lubed too btw.
Thanks.
There are only two speedo cables - a short one for 3-speed and Powerglide, and a long one for the Muncie 4-speed; the 4-speed cable is about twice as long as the 3-speed cable, and the short cable won't even connect to a 4-speed. The cable routing and clipping is shown in your A.I.M., in section M20.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnZ; 07-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: correct speedo cable length-66 4-speed?