C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 Gas Tank Cover Will Not Sit Flush

Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Why not make it fit since you are going to buy another tank? You have to take a rubber mallet and bang more on the corners. Also, why the concerned about judging the tank area? No "judge" is going to ask you to remove the cover. The spacers would be a more concern with me. If it was me I would make it fit and move onto another stage of the restoration. Recently, it was bugging me that my tank was not sitting flush. I had to make adjustments two different times to finally get the tank to sit flush.

Accept the fact that some reproduction parts are not 100% correct. It sux but it is something everyone here has dealt with in the past when it comes to buying reproduction parts. All of the reproduction parts are based on tooling designed over 50 years ago.

Another option (I have two original tanks at home). You want one? I am sure one of them will clean up nicely. I bought a tank when I moved to the Midwest and left both tanks back in California. Not sure if either one works.

The only way, you are going to get correct parts are to either by NOS or OEM. Even then it might not be correct. The OEM parts could have been warped or not pass inspection and so forth.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

NOS is the only assurance. Licensed by GM means nothing. That comes right out of the GM legal department. I don't even think they look at the part. They do though look at the check.

GM is ripping off the vendors big time since we all know these parts are crap. The GM License adds no value to the parts.

Richard Newton
Valve Train Dynamics
Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Time to buy a new gas tank that actually fits like the original. Talked to Quanta and they acknowledged problems in the past but told me the model they sell now actually will correctly fit into my late '61.

What manufacturer's gas tank has anyone bought and installed recently that actually fits so that the fiberglass cover fits all the way down? Thoughts on what parts I should buy with it?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:26 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've heard the same thing from Quanta. In fact is one of few companies that actually replied to this thread. Zip and Corvette Central never replied to any of us that were having issues.

I would simply ask Quanta what their policy is if it doesn't fit. Amazon.com pays for the shipping if you have to return and item. Will Quanta do the same?

I put a new sending unit in my tank. The old one was rusted. Like this.

Richard Newton
Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Hopefully the climate "way up here" in Englewood isn't as harsh on the sending units.

Well - actually mine looks pretty good. If I don't hear bad things I'll order a Quanta unit. Of course it's usually less expensive to buy from a reseller than the vendor (on well - such is retailing in the USA).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1961 Gas Tank Cover Will Not Sit Flush