C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Closing the hood on a '63

Old 07-13-2014, 04:57 PM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Closing the hood on a '63

The previous owner of my '63 convert didn't believe in rear view mirrors and using the pins/barrels that keep the hood closed.
I've bought new pins/barrels and I'm trying to figure out where to start. The last thing I want is the hood to close and then not being able to open it.
I read the post about the '67 with a hood that wouldn't open and the remedies for that.

My question is, should I have the barrels turn down tight on the spring for the first time installation? I would think if they are tight the hood wouldn't close all the way. Then I would gradually adjust them so the hood fits flush and still be able to open.
any other advice?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You want to turn them just enough to catch on the latch.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

If the PO was like that, I'd make sure the opening mechanism works before closing the hood. Have someone pull the lever, and make sure both side have the release open all the way.

Be sure to smear some grease into the catches so that they slide easily. You don't want them to hang up from friction. Oil the cable sheath so the cable slides easily.

Install the pins in as loose as you can. Then tighten as you try the fit until the hood sits level, like Nowhere said. If you start too tight, the hood could bind and not let the catches release.

If you are too worried, pull the engine and put someone in the engine compartment to release them manually until you get them adjusted.

Confused about the mirror statement. It looks like there is a passenger side mirror in your avatar.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

When adjustment is perfect, you lower the hood until the rear corners are about 2" above the the edge of the opening. Let go and it gently latches itself, nice and level.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
When adjustment is perfect, you lower the hood until the rear corners are about 2" above the the edge of the opening. Let go and it gently latches itself, nice and level.
That's the best advice I've heard . The pull mechanism works perfectly but I will be sure to grease the latch and oil the cables before I do anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Closing the hood on a '63

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Closing the hood on a '63