C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking at a 1957 FI Car Tonight - Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Looking at a 1957 FI Car Tonight - Tips Needed - Images Posted

Hello, I am going to have a cursory look at a supposed 1957 Fuel Injected Corvette tonight. It has had the same owner for 35 years and the only missing part claimed is the original 3-speed which was switch out for a 4-speed early in its life. Also, not sure which HP it has.

I am familiar with casting numbers and engine suffixes, so I have this part covered.

What I am not familiar with are some of the nuances of the 1957 FI cars. Are there any other clues to look for (tach redline on mid years for example)? Just looking for some quick clues.

If I get through a cursory inspection and am satisfied, I intend on bringing in someone with much more knowledge, NCRS judge, etc.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by gearheaddroppings; 07-15-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,521 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The only unique feature for '57 FI cars (ignoring the air box cars) is the firewall-mounted throttle rod. Zero in on this part and become well informed about the differences between original and repop pieces.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 AM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The only unique feature for '57 FI cars (ignoring the air box cars) is the firewall-mounted throttle rod. Zero in on this part and become well informed about the differences between original and repop pieces.
Awesome, thank you for this tip.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default FI Unit Model and Serial #s

If he has owned it that long he should have some paperwork that helps prove it's real.

Also, there were several FI models used in '57 while they were fixing issues and for both hydraulic cam and solid cam versions. VIN plate screwed to the door jam will tell you when the car was built. Engine stamping should tell you which version it is and then the 56/57 judging guide has a table that will tell you which FI unit and serial # range by month should be used for that specific build date/engine combo. Pass side exhaust manifold casting should not have a choke tube or evidence that it was ever drilled for one.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Originally Posted by Marks69BB
If he has owned it that long he should have some paperwork that helps prove it's real.

Also, there were several FI models used in '57 while they were fixing issues and for both hydraulic cam and solid cam versions. VIN plate screwed to the door jam will tell you when the car was built. Engine stamping should tell you which version it is and then the 56/57 judging guide has a table that will tell you which FI unit and serial # range by month should be used for that specific build date/engine combo. Pass side exhaust manifold casting should not have a choke tube or evidence that it was ever drilled for one.
Thank you so much for the data. I have also found several old CF articles on the throttle bracket, lack of large hole in the radiator support, etc. I just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

I agree on the paperwork. This one, like many others, is a longshot. So far things line up, so you never know. Again, this is a cursory review. If he allows me to take photos, I will post them here for review, especially the engine pad stamp (if it passes the first test).

Like many of you, I have been on several of these "barn find" stories and walked away shaking my head. One of these days....
Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by gearheaddroppings
lack of large hole in the radiator support, etc. ..
You might be thinking of '58 - '62 cars which have a hole in the radiator support for a fresh air hose which feeds the FI air cleaner. Carbureted cars have a cover plate over this hole and the presence or absence of distortions in the four screw holes are indicative of original carb vs FI.

No such feature exists on '57 Corvettes.

The throttle rod is pretty much "it", although it obviously could have been replaced sometime in the past.

A right hand manifold without a hole for the choke heat tube is also indicative. But keep in mind how easily manifolds can be replaced. Know also that some 2bbl Chebby engines in the early/mid '60s came with similar manifolds.

Jim
Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

You might be thinking of '58 - '62 cars which have a hole in the radiator support for a fresh air hose which feeds the FI air cleaner. Carbureted cars have a cover plate over this hole and the presence or absence of distortions in the four screw holes are indicative of original carb vs FI.

No such feature exists on '57 Corvettes.

The throttle rod is pretty much "it", although it obviously could have been replaced sometime in the past.

A right hand manifold without a hole for the choke heat tube is also indicative. But keep in mind how easily manifolds can be replaced. Know also that some 2bbl Chebby engines in the early/mid '60s came with similar manifolds.

Jim
Thank you again for the clarification. I will do my best to inspect this part. Ideally, it would be nice to see if it has the stamp on the back of the mount.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Mailbu Beach
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you again for the clarification. I will do my best to inspect this part. Ideally, it would be nice to see if it has the stamp on the back of the mount.
If the car has an unrestored original 283 HP engine there will be an EL or EK written in yellow grease pencil on the bell housing.

Typically the L is stamped separately on the engine pad and typically is on a bit of an angle.

Check to see if the cast date code on the backside of the engine is one digit or two for the year. Two digit would be passenger car.

FI unit? 4360, 4520 or 4800? Distributor...889,905,906 or 908? radio delete? heater delete..starburst or staright line radio delete block off plate? what model generator?

Good Luck..

Joe
Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Originally Posted by Mailbu Beach
If the car has an unrestored original 283 HP engine there will be an EL or EK written in yellow grease pencil on the bell housing.

Typically the L is stamped separately on the engine pad and typically is on a bit of an angle.

Check to see if the cast date code on the backside of the engine is one digit or two for the year. Two digit would be passenger car.

FI unit? 4360, 4520 or 4800? Distributor...889,905,906 or 908? radio delete? heater delete..starburst or staright line radio delete block off plate? what model generator?

Good Luck..

Joe
Thank you very much.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Thank you very much.
Here are some images from tonight:

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

More images

Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Overall, it was a nice, presentable car. Several replacement parts and restored areas. Some areas of neglect, but overall a decent example.

I have some feelings about this car but am curious on what others think first.

Overall a fun exercise taking a look.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Incorrect throttle rod, incorrect engine stamp, exhaust manifold obviously has the hole plugged, paint on the engine pad, too much of a crown on the FI unit serial number tag rivets, engine mount bolts upside down, 4360 unit on a June car doesn't fit at all, etc. it certainly is not an unmolested car. And likely not originally a fuelie. Best be cheap.

Last edited by 62corvette; 07-15-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 62corvette
Incorrect throttle rod, incorrect engine stamp, exhaust manifold obviously has the hole plugged, paint on the engine pad, too much of a crown on the FI unit serial number tag rivets, engine mount bolts upside down, 4360 unit on a June car doesn't fit at all, etc. it certainly is not an unmolested car. And likely not originally a fuelie. Best be cheap.
just curious what would the correct throttle rod be worth ?? are they hard to find
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Originally Posted by 62corvette
Can you elaborate on the block stamp? It appears to be the correct casting and proper suffix. Obviously, paint on the stamp is wrong, but engine is being represented as rebuilt.

I agree with you on the other comments. The FI unit plate appears to be a repro, the throttle rod is wrong and the exhaust manifold is not correct.

I am just wondering if a FI block and unit were dropped in at some time during the car's life.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

I am just wondering if a FI block and unit were dropped in at some time during the car's life.
From all that I see, I'd say that an FI unit and an engine of unknown but questionable pedigree were transplanted into a formerly carbureted car.

If you are seeking a Real Deal original fuelie, this car is almost certainly not what you want.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

From all that I see, I'd say that an FI unit and an engine of unknown but questionable pedigree were transplanted into a formerly carbureted car.

If you are seeking a Real Deal original fuelie, this car is almost certainly not what you want.
Thank you. I decided last night that I would not pursue this car any further.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Smart move on his part. Spending $200,000 and not knowing what to look for is a way to commit financial suicide. At this point I believe we have more counterfeit cars in the market than we have real ones. Some of the fakes are simply outstanding.

The NCRS judging manuals are so good that they've become a template for the counterfeiters.

Richard Newton
Historical Racing Images

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a 1957 FI Car Tonight - Tips Needed

Quick Reply: Looking at a 1957 FI Car Tonight - Tips Needed