C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sun Sleuth One Engine Analyzer

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 AM
66 Vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Sun Sleuth One Engine Analyzer

I am trying to find a manual for a Sun Sleuth Engine Analyzer, hoping someone may have one to sell, copy or email me a copy.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,125 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I can not help you with an instruction manual but I can help with what you can do with a scope and pattern interpretation.

Joe
Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 PM
66 Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by plaidside
I can not help you with an instruction manual but I can help with what you can do with a scope and pattern interpretation.

Joe
Once I figure out how to set it up and if everything works I may need your assistance. I do have some information for patterns from other engine analyzers that are shown on the internet.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

66 Vette,

I have no affiliation/connection with this seller, but he does indicate he has manuals for Sun equipment. Give him a try. Here's an EBAY link to connect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SUN-DISTRIBUTOR-ALTERNATOR-TEST-EQUIPMENT-INSTRUCTION-MANUALS-/290935520199?hash=item43bd1bbbc7&item=290935520199&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Good luck!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:50 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

If you post pictures of your leads I can tell you how to connect it to the car.
Joe
Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM
66 Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by plaidside
If you post pictures of your leads I can tell you how to connect it to the car.
Joe
I can figure out some of the leads since I have already measured Ohms and Voltage. The pickup for the distributor has a couple different clamps that screw on to the lead, I believe the red and silver loose ones are duplicates of the ones on the cables. I don't know what the one with the plastic top and 45 degree wings is used for it has a copper shield on one side (2 pictures). It also has a timing light that probably uses the same pick up as one of the distributor clamps. There is one additional black and red lead used to measure voltage and ohms that is not in the picture.
I also need information on the silver box (1 picture) the bottom switch is for measuring voltage don't know how to use the top switch or the what the rotary switch is used for since it shows negative numbers with the degree symbol also there is a probe that may be used in conjunction with the box. Don't know what the probe is used for or how to use it.
Attached Images       
Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Sun was the first machine I was trained on so I am familiar with the leads but it has been a long time.
The main lead with the large silver magnetic pick-up goes around the coil wire and the small red lead is for the negative side of the coil and the black one is for ground.
The red pick-up is the 'trigger' and goes over the number one wire.
The plastic pick-up is for GM HEI systems. Just remove the large chrome pick-up and screw on the plastic one. The two copper clips on the side holds the adapter to the cap.
In the last picture that is a "magnetic timing" probe. Most cars in the 80's had a small tube welded to the timing tab that you inserted the probe into and you would read the timing on a gauge. This eliminated the "parallax" view. Some of the Chevy small blocks were almost impossible to set the timing with a light as the timing tab was at approx. 12 o’clock and behind the water pump so you almost had to use the probe.
As far as the second to last picture I do not have a clue. I will look through my old Suntester bulletins and see if there is any mention of it.
I hope this helps.
Joe
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 AM
66 Vette
Instructor

Thanks for the valuable information, I can now proceed with confidence. I have never heard of the magnetic timing probe. In the second to the last picture the bottom switch if for measuring either volts or ohms. I wonder if the rest of the panel has to do with the timing probe.

Get notified of new replies

To Sun Sleuth One Engine Analyzer

Quick Reply: Sun Sleuth One Engine Analyzer