C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlights won't open up 1964 Sting Ray

Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM
chiefopw
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights won't open up 1964 Sting Ray

I have a 1964 Sting Ray which is nearly the point of completion for as far as I plan to go. Major frustration when I discovered the headlights won't open up. The headlights work and I can make the lights open by manually turning a tooth on each motor. Each side has an electric motor to open the cover but neither works. Switch is OK, fuses are OK, relay is OK and at this point I am stumped. I have no idea where to go from here. Help.
chiefopw
Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefopw
I have a 1964 Sting Ray which is nearly the point of completion for as far as I plan to go. Major frustration when I discovered the headlights won't open up. The headlights work and I can make the lights open by manually turning a tooth on each motor. Each side has an electric motor to open the cover but neither works. Switch is OK, fuses are OK, relay is OK and at this point I am stumped. I have no idea where to go from here. Help.
chiefopw
By relay, do you mean the 30a circuit breaker under the dash on the driver's side? They are not fused. How is the ground at the front?
Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Are you using the stock switch that you pull up to open the motors, and push down to close, or have you modified the system to make the motors roll over with the headlight switch? Stock doesn't use the headlight switch for the rollover at all.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:37 PM
chiefopw
Cruising

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Are you using the stock switch that you pull up to open the motors, and push down to close, or have you modified the system to make the motors roll over with the headlight switch? Stock doesn't use the headlight switch for the rollover at all.
Actually, the only switch I have used is the pull out light switch on the dash that turns the lights on. Is there another switch to make the motors open up the lights???
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Actually, the only switch I have used is the pull out light switch on the dash that turns the lights on. Is there another switch to make the motors open up the lights???
There SHOULD be a rocker switch (like a power window switch) marked "Headlights" screwed to the bottom edge of the dash directly below the lights ****. You pull the rocker toward you to rotate the light buckets to operating position and push it away from you to stow the lights. This info is on page 18 of the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you should get one.

Here is a link to a PDF of the manual, open to the page you need.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Chevro...ners-Manual-18

Congratulations on what I assume is a recent acquisition, and welcome to the fun!

Last edited by SI67; 07-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM
chiefopw
Cruising

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
By relay, do you mean the 30a circuit breaker under the dash on the driver's side? They are not fused. How is the ground at the front?
You're right--it's the 30a circuit breaker. Rechecked the ground and it seems to be OK.
chiefopw
Old 07-17-2014, 04:46 PM
chiefopw
Cruising

Originally Posted by SI67
There SHOULD be a rocker switch (like a power window switch) marked "Headlights" screwed to the bottom edge of the dash directly below the lights ****. You pull the rocker toward you to rotate the light buckets to operating position and push it away from you to stow the lights. This info is on page 18 of the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you should get one.

Here is a link to a PDF of the manual, open to the page you need.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Chevro...ners-Manual-18

Congratulations on what I assume is a recent acquisition, and welcome to the fun!
You are right on the money. I had not even noticed the rocker switch you refer to and once I put things back together that shouldn't have come apart and pushed the rocker switch, well, shoot, there's nothing to this game when you know what you're doing. Thanks much for the info and the link. . .
chiefopow
Old 07-17-2014, 05:53 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

You are right on the money. I had not even noticed the rocker switch you refer to and once I put things back together that shouldn't have come apart and pushed the rocker switch, well, shoot, there's nothing to this game when you know what you're doing. Thanks much for the info and the link. . .
chiefopow
Reminds of one of the chapter titles in John Brunner's science fiction classic "Stand on Zanzibar":

It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights won't open up 1964 Sting Ray

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights won't open up 1964 Sting Ray