C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-2 road trip in september!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
We are heading down to Dixie, right?

While I was out and about today (went to the Geneva, IL Concours d'Elegance) I flipped on the AC and felt the refreshing rush of cool, dry conditioned air from the vents. At 87 degrees and 99% humidity outside, it felt just fine.

Later I measured that air temp at 68 degrees. Uh-oh!

Upon arriving home, I noticed that the temp gauge was climbing abnormally high and discovered that one of the electric fans was not running. Poking around a little revealed that the plastic loom around some of the wiring is melted and looks pretty funky. I think that might be the trouble spot, but am waiting for it to cool down before investigating further.

It sure is better to find a problem at home than to make an unpleasant discovery miles from one's own garage and tools!
I certainly hope that you can get that fixed before we leave next week.

If you can't, all is not lost. You can always employ the Meyerhoff Strategy, as shown here on the Great River Road tour. As you may recall, the Meyerhoff Strategy is typically used when the car is overheating a bit. The driver turns the heat on full blast to aid the cooling of the radiator, while the passenger deploys their feet out the side window with little regard to the olfactories of anyone following behind!

Last edited by Mossy66; 08-29-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
I certainly hope that you can get that fixed before we leave next week.

If you can't, all is not lost. You can always employ the Meyerhoff Strategy, as shown here on the Great River Road tour. As you may recall, the Meyerhoff Strategy is typically used when the car is overheating a bit. The driver turns the heat on full blast to aid the cooling of the radiator, while the passenger deploys their feet out the side window!

Fortunately for John, Mary Carol is a wonderfully patient and even-tempered woman. I'm afraid that MY spousal unit would be much less forgiving.

This fact will provide powerful motivation to get it fixed pronto.

BTW, next week? You mean NEXT SATURDAY!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Default The trip is now underway!

By now, Mr and Mrs TexVette66 are headed east. The Norgrens left the Minneapolis area within the last two hours, and they are reporting torrential rain. That is bad enough in itself, however, I just got a call from them asking if I have a spare windshield wiper switch. That can't be good.

Mrs Mossy66 is doing laundry and has started packing. I am in a holding pattern near the fridge until I get clearance from the tower to help. Fuel is running low in the fridge though!

Our plan is to meet up with forum member Cavecreekchump and the Mrs, the Norgrens and the Norrises somewhere tomorrow morning on the way to Winchester, Kentucky. It all depends on how far the Norgrens can row their beautiful '65 tonight.
Wish them luck!

Gerry

Last edited by Mossy66; 09-20-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mossy66

Our plan is to meet up with forum member Cavecreekchump and the Mrs, the Norgrens and the Norrises somehow tomorrow morning on the way to Winchester, Kentucky. It all depends on how far the Norgrens can row their beautiful '65 tonight.
Wish them luck!

Gerry
Our departure time is nigh, and the plan for today has changed a little bit. Mr & Mrs. Mossy66 and the Norrises are meeting at Chez CaveCreekChump in St. Charles, IL at about 9:00. Then we will head out and try to meet up with the sopping wet Norgrens somewhere not too far down the road. Paul Jordan from Ontario will arrive in Winchester tonight and we'll meet almost everyone else in Townsend, TN tomorrow as they trickle in.

Looks like this is really happening!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:05 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

OK guys, it's about time for an update on this trip. Did everyone make it to Townsend OK?
Roy

Our departure time is nigh, and the plan for today has changed a little bit. Mr & Mrs. Mossy66 and the Norrises are meeting at Chez CaveCreekChump in St. Charles, IL at about 9:00. Then we will head out and try to meet up with the sopping wet Norgrens somewhere not too far down the road. Paul Jordan from Ontario will arrive in Winchester tonight and we'll meet almost everyone else in Townsend, TN tomorrow as they trickle in.

Looks like this is really happening!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
OK guys, it's about time for an update on this trip. Did everyone make it to Townsend OK?
Roy
Sorry Roy! We are just having too darn much fun goofing off in Townsend tonight. Tomorrow is Tail of the Dragon and Cherahola Skyway. After that, I'll try to round up one of the usual suspects for an update.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Saturday morning, the Norrises and the Mossy66s met up at the Cave CreekChumps residence. The Norgrens were on their way south and we planned on meeting up with them on the road.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1409652367

Later at a gas stop, The Norgrens showed up. They had been driving the last day and a half in the rain and hail from Minnesota with no windshield wipers. The wiper switch had fallen apart shortly after their departure from home.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1409652715

We continued on to our destination for the night in Winchester, Kentucky. The rain was holding off, but finally caught up with us later, and stayed with us for the rest of the day. During the day, we received an email from another member of the group reporting that he was having trouble with his '63 and had exhausted every avenue trying to get his car to make the trip. He showed up later that night driving a newer Mustang.

We departed in the rain the next morning, but not until a temporary wiper switch had been cobbled up in the Norgren's car.

We were headed to Floyd Garret's Musclecar Museum in Sevierville, Tn. We got there at about lunchtime, and met up with TexVette66 out of Texas. We were now 5 C2's strong. (and that other thing trailing behind)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1409653819

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1409653819

After lunch and a tour of the museum, we fought our way out through the heavy tourist traffic until our cut off towards Townsend, Tn. which was to be our home base for two nights. When we arrived, The Meyerhoffs and Hubers were waiting for us with their C6 Corvettes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1409654214

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1409654214

After submitting this post, I see that all the pictures are at the bottom. They shouldn't be, and I don't know why that happened.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Mossy66; 09-02-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Dixie Dash Road Trip 2014

Thanks for the update Gerry, the trip looks great. That red Mustang that keeps showing up in the pictures hurts my eyes though.
Roy
Old 09-02-2014, 07:15 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Paul is really driving a Mustang???

Really??
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you guys picked up a wild horse on the way!!

Jeff
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep the pictures coming, just got in from Hilton Head. Been raining cats and dogs here in North Georgia...Stay dry as you can.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:37 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

It would be so cool to add my ratty old '64 to these fine photos in a few days, you guys be safe
Old 09-03-2014, 10:38 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Eat at spankys on river street in savannah or beachside on tybee island for me!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want REAL BBQ pork, you will need to get to eastern NC (Wilson, Goldsboro, Greenville area). The best I've had in eastern TN is at Ridgeway BBQ on Elizabethton Hwy just outside Bluff City, near Bristol. How far east you guys planning to get in NC. Might could join in for a day.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Monday was our scenic drive around the area. The route included the Foothills Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, and Cherohala Skyway.

At the Crossroads of Time, we picked up some T-shirts and other souveniers.

They have the tree of shame (or pain) there for those who under estimate the Dragon. They can hang pieces of wreckage for public display. Fortunately, we didn't have to add pieces of any Corvettes to the tree.

After leaving the Crossroads of Time, we continued on and took the Cherohala Skyway into Tellico Plains for lunch.

CaveCreekChump found the condiments he loves so much.

After lunch, the Norrises battery was dead. After a push start, we were off to an Autozone for a replacement battery.

Once there, everyone jumped in to help. (Well, almost everyone)

After repairs were made, it was back to home base for the cocktail hour.

Gerry
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 59vetteman
How far east you guys planning to get in NC. Might could join in for a day.
We are driving to Leland tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon for a Friday AM (8:30-ish) tour of USS North Carolina and maybe the Bellamy Museum after that. Then we'll drive down to Charleston.

We sure would like to meet you or any other Forum members that care to connect with us along the way!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Eat at spankys on river street in savannah or beachside on tybee island for me!
We plan to eat lunch at the Crab Shack on Tybee Monday (I think) after touring the fort.

Get notified of new replies

To C-2 road trip in september!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like fun was had by all. Great pics, I'm jealous.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We plan to eat lunch at the Crab Shack on Tybee Monday (I think) after touring the fort.
I grew up in Savannah.

There is a local gather hole on Tybee call AJ's. You sit on the water. Its the Old fishing village.

A-J's Dockside Restaurant
1315 Chatham Ave
Tybee Island, GA 31328

Also a place called Tubby's tank house in thunderbolt. Its just before you go over the first bridge going to Tybee.
2909 River Dr, Thunderbolt, GA 31404
(912) 354-9040

We need more pictures...
Old 09-05-2014, 05:45 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I agree, more pictures. How did you guys make out with the thunder storms Thursday?

Quick Reply: C-2 road trip in september!