C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-2 road trip in september!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C-2 road trip in september!

Every year since '08 the nicest bunch of people I know go on a mid-year Corvette vacation somewhere interesting.

Among other excursions, we have done the entirety of Route 66, the Pacific Coast and the Mississippi River "Great River Road". Scenic drives, historical sightseeing, great food & drink and much comraderie.

This year we meet in eastern Tennessee, ten cars so far with ten couples from all over the country. We'll spend two weeks in the Carolinas and heading south along the coast to Savannah. Finally the trek will circle back through Chattanooga and end at the National Corvette Museum and GM assembly plant.

We have always enjoyed meeting Forum members along the way, often having them come along with us for one or more days. Anyone interested in joining us should PM me for a copy of our itinerary.

Last edited by CaveCreekChump; 07-20-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Mossy66 being a smarta$$!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:41 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a great traveling group and I am sorry to say this is the first trip we will miss with them. We are in the process of moving to AZ and will be ready for next years adventure.
Roy
Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This promises to be another awesome trip!

Highlights include enjoying our Corvettes on the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and Great Smoky Mounain NP. Tours of Biltmore House, Hendrick Motorsports, Battleship North Carolina as well as maybe a whiskey tour (Jack Daniels?). Corvette Museum as well as the Corvette factory tour are on the itinerary as well as some sightseeing in Charleston and Savannah.

I wonder if there is any place to eat good barbeque on our trip?

Gerry
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How many day's are planned for the Tail of the Dragon or is this a drive thru day ? I know it will be tough to determine what day or time.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:31 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteRed1965
How many day's are planned for the Tail of the Dragon or is this a drive thru day ? I know it will be tough to determine what day or time.
We plan to do Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway as part of a day of scenic touring through the area on September 1st.

I am told that our primary route is 120 miles long and will take around 5 hours.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:14 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Barb, the old 66 and I are set on go, can't wait! Jerry
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

We are sorry that we won't make this trip with you guys. But we will look forward to the next one!

Bob
Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Hank29
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw your posting about the excursions and am definitely interested. Cannot make it this year. Already have plans for Woodward Dream Cruise, Corvettes at Carlisle and Cruisin' the Beach. Am interested in next year though. Do you all go the same dates each year? Or, when will you know about dates for next year (even if you don't have the details yet)?
Hank

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
Every year since '08 the nicest bunch of people I know go on a mid-year Corvette vacation somewhere interesting.

Among other excursions, we have done the entirety of Route 66, the Pacific Coast and the Mississippi River "Great River Road". Scenic drives, historical sightseeing, great food & drink and much comraderie.

This year we meet in eastern Tennessee, ten cars so far with ten couples from all over the country. We'll spend two weeks in the Carolinas and heading south along the coast to Savannah. Finally the trek will circle back through Chattanooga and end at the National Corvette Museum and GM assembly plant.

We have always enjoyed meeting Forum members along the way, often having them come along with us for one or more days. Anyone interested in joining us should PM me for a copy of our itinerary.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hank29
Saw your posting about the excursions and am definitely interested. Cannot make it this year. Already have plans for Woodward Dream Cruise, Corvettes at Carlisle and Cruisin' the Beach. Am interested in next year though. Do you all go the same dates each year? Or, when will you know about dates for next year (even if you don't have the details yet)?
Hank
Sounds like you will be pretty busy this year, Hank!

The majority of our trips have started in September, after Labor Day, in order to miss the tourist season. This is not to say that we would not stage a trip at another time if there were a compelling reason to do so. Ultimately the decisions are made by those who step up to do the planning. The rest of us are just grateful to have someone else take responsibility.

The 2015 trip has not been decided yet but one likely scenario is a tour of Arizona and the surrounding areas taking place in September or October.

Watch this space for further details!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by VetteRed1965
The plan for the day is to drive the Foothills Pkwy to the Tail of the Dragon, and then take the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains. Last time I was there in 2010 there was a place to eat called the Outpost Pavilion. The Outpost had a few different food vendors where you could choose from BBQ or seafood. They had beer. I remember the BBQ was awesome!

After lunch, we have the option of going back the way we came, or head north on 360 to 33 to 17 to 115/129 and retracing the Foothills Pkwy back to home base.

Gerry
Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Hank29
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking ahead to 2015

Thanks for the update. I will watch for 2015 news. Am looking forward to meeting you all.
Hank

Sounds like you will be pretty busy this year, Hank!

The majority of our trips have started in September, after Labor Day, in order to miss the tourist season. This is not to say that we would not stage a trip at another time if there were a compelling reason to do so. Ultimately the decisions are made by those who step up to do the planning. The rest of us are just grateful to have someone else take responsibility.

The 2015 trip has not been decided yet but one likely scenario is a tour of Arizona and the surrounding areas taking place in September or October.

Watch this space for further details!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mossy66

After lunch, we have the option of going back the way we came, or head north on 360 to 33 to 17 to 115/129 and retracing the Foothills Pkwy back to home base.

Gerry
Guess who WON'T be taking the lead on that day....
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Got it.
Please try to keep up!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Got it.
Please try to keep up!
Shouldn't be a problem. It's all downhill, isn't it?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Shouldn't be a problem. It's all downhill, isn't it?
Both ways!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Gerry, I sure wish I was going to be there and we could flip for who gets the lead!

Anyone out there thinking about traveling with a group of great people and cool mid years here is your chance, even if you only join in for a few days. This is the first trip my wife and I have missed with these guys. Can't wait till next year.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

If your travels take you near Sevierville, Tenn., this museum is definitely worth a detour.

http://musclecarmuseum.com/

Get notified of new replies

To C-2 road trip in september!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Hey Gerry, I sure wish I was going to be there and we could flip for who gets the lead!

Anyone out there thinking about traveling with a group of great people and cool mid years here is your chance, even if you only join in for a few days. This is the first trip my wife and I have missed with these guys. Can't wait till next year.

Jeff
We are all sorry you and Penny are going to miss this trip. We look forward to seeing you on the next one!

Gerry
Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 PM
appaloosa 0012
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default As of Last Week....(July 13, 2014)

Best Pulled Pork Melt!!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Gerry

Quick Reply: C-2 road trip in september!