C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT - Anyone have an Avanti?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Default OT - Anyone have an Avanti?

I've always had a fondness for Avantis since I was a kid. I was reading a magazine article about one the other day and it had a photo of the interior through the open door. I was surprised to see that the door hinges looked pretty much identical to our 63 - 67 door hinges. About the only difference was on the top hinge the upper ear was curved over to match the door jamb contour. But the story reminded me that I've long wondered how similar or dis-similar Avanti fiberglass body construction is to the Corvette? Has anyone ever seen one of them stripped of paint or know how they were assembled - steel body structure? Multiple panels with bond joints? Bonding strips? Assembly details? I would be curious to hear about anyone's experience with them.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Cool cars. Way ahead of their time. I'm considering buying a 69 Avanti II project I found. I am interested in Corvette owners thoughts on them as well.

Tom
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Dan,

Wife drove a "modified" 63 Avanti (SBC/turbo 400 drive train with a 64 style front end with the rectangular headlight bezels - 63's came with the round headlight bezels) for 17 years as her daily driver. We stripped it of paint twice during that time for 2 resprays.

However, I really don't remember that much about the panels and seams, or body substructure. Don't think it had that many separate seams in the panels, and it had to have had some steel in the body framing, because I added shoulder belts that I drilled, tapped, and bolted to the rear of the door framing. The body was sitting on 2 (substantial) body sill supports that ran from front fender well to rear fender well on each side, and those sat on the X type frame (I replaced those once due to typical rust out) .

I had talked to the MFG (Molded Fiber Glass Company) people manning a trade show booth at one time, and they said they supplied the panels for both the Avanti and Corvette (at one time on the Vette), so I would expect to see basically the same assembly methods.

We toured the original Avanti factory in South Bend several times while they were still making the Avanti II. But did not get to the body assembly area (most final assembly after the bodies were already on the frames).

During that time frame, I had my 70 Vette that I drove daily for 15 years......so we both had "plastic" cars).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-23-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

A buddy of mine has one. He's had it for about 30 years. Right now it's in getting Vette front suspension and an LS engine transplant. Should be hot.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a 1963 R1 ford 289 ci, in the back of my warehouse. Red with tan leather,when you open the doors the interior is lit with red lights. Frame off 5 years ago. The R2 has a super charger on them, they run like a scaldy dog ! Don't know about the bonding strips or fiberglass differences .
Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
rob1961
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember working on those in the 90s. didn't they build the replicas with caprice chassis and running gear? how about the 1970s Stutz bear cats. ?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Had several Avanti's in the 70s & 80s. The body has a steel structure similar to a Corvette coupe with a built in roll bar, fiberglass assembly is very similar to Corvettes but panel seams are on top of fenders.
Mark
Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I helped restore an Avanti for a guy and I would NEVER do that again. Hard to find parts for and this guy wanted everything we did to the car changed. We would tell him that he would have to pay extra for all the changes. We were not going to redo everything for free. Just for example we had to take out all the carpet and put Italian Leather in the interior, instead of carpet and head liner and door panels, everything inside. Everything was push button, open and close doors and trunk and not just the hood but the hole dog house would go outward about 6" and then tilt up. Then when closing it would come down and then slide back into place up to the firewall. When all was said and done he had invested just over $180K in the car with 3 yrs work. After that he drove it about 100 miles showing it off to his golf buddies and then sent it to B J Auction. Lost his AZZ on it. He was not upset with us, the car appraised for more then that he just let it go. He had 2 of the Corvette Avalay (sp) built, one coupe and one convertible. He was not afraid to spend money and have cool toys. Anyway the Avanti was a car a head of it's time and people just didn't understand it back then. It was a real pain to restore and build. Never again.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

I remember them being made again for a short time around the early 80s
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Great feedback - thanks everyone. Yes, the Avanti was picked up after Studebaker went out of business and was produced into the 80s I believe (I think as the Avainti II) with a Chevrolet powertrain. I think they used old stock, leftover frames and suspension parts. It sounds like it probably had body construction somewhat similar to the Corvette.

Plasticman - for some reason I was suspecting it had a little simpler body with fewer separate panels. The styling and lines would seem to facilitate having fewer panels overall. They were beautiful cars and Studebaker seemed to produce some very nice interior styling.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Didn't the Avanti have a sticker inside that said...

"close windows with speeds exceeding 130mph."
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

A very good friend of mine is an eye surgeon and he has an Avanti II which he bought new. I do most of the maintenance on it for him because it is powered by a SB400/Turbo 400.
Several years ago, he had me remove the exhaust system/converter and have it replaced with a true dual exhaust system. He also had me remove all the smog crap and retune it. World of difference in performance.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by rtruman
I remember them being made again for a short time around the early 80s
From Wikipedia;

The Avanti is a sports coupe based on the Studebaker Avanti and produced by a series of entrepreneurs. After the closure of Studebaker's South Bend factory on December 20, 1963, cars with the name Avanti were initially produced from left-over Studebaker components and later from General Motors and Ford chassis and engines. These are not replica cars, for they were made by Avanti Motor Company. They have created a following by some enthusiasts and collectors.

Altman and Newman
1976 Avanti II

After Studebaker had ceased production at South Bend, the "Avanti" model name, tooling, Studebaker truck production rights and parts and plant space were bought by local Studebaker dealers, Nate and Arnold Altman and Leo Newman, who incorporated as Avanti Motor Corporation and hand-built small numbers of cars.[1] Leo Newman ran the Studebaker truck parts division which enabled the company to be profitable at its outset. According to Stu Chapman, Studebaker Director of Advertising & Public Relations 1964-1966, in his book 'My Father The Car Memoirs Of My Life With Studebaker', there was talk with Studebaker of reintroducing the Avanti to Studebaker showrooms in 65/66, along with ambitious plans for rebadging an Isuzu Bellet as an entry level Studebaker, and combining with Canadian Motor Industries. This would have taken control and production away from the South Bend board who at the time was determined to discontinue auto production no matter that Studebaker was the only car company in history to discontinue a make that was still profitable. The Altman brothers introduced a slightly modified version of the car in 1965 under the brand name "Avanti II".[2] which initially had a 327-in³ (5.4 L) Chevrolet Corvette engine. This evolved to the 350, the 400, 305 the last Avanti made came off the line with V-6 from Roush and only one was made. All Avanti IIs and their successors were built on Studebaker chassis from 1963 to 1987.[citation needed] After Nate Altman's death, Arnold Altman ran the company until it was sold in 1982.

Stephen H. Blake

On October 1, 1982, real-estate developer Stephen H. Blake bought the rights to the Avanti II.[citation needed] The state of Indiana guaranteed $1.9 million in loans to Avanti, as part of the financial package offered Blake when he bought the company.[5] He made modifications to the car, which had remained unchanged since the production of the Avanti II model began in the mid-1960s. Rectangular headlights and modern plastic body-colored bumpers were introduced.[6] He also dropped the "II" in the car's name. All subsequent cars would be simply called the "Avanti".[citation needed] Blake's company declared bankruptcy and he resigned in February 1986.[7]

Michael E. Kelly
1989, Kelly built Avanti II Convertible

The Avanti Motor Company was re-purchased by Michael Eugene Kelly. He moved the production to Ohio in 1987.

The company had the second-generation Avanti's styling originated by Tom Kellogg, the youngest member of the original Avanti Studebaker design team, at first called the AVX in the mid 90's. Tom Kellogg was fatally injured in a car accident in California on August 14, 2003.[8]

Cafaro years
1991 Avanti four-door sedan

John J. Cafaro, a real estate man, picked up the rights to Avanti Motor Company and with the help of the State of Ohio moved all Avanti production from South Bend, its birthplace to the Rust Belt area of Youngstown, Ohio in 1988. In 1988 and 1989 Avanti made two door models and a convertible. The 1988 Avanti were called the Silver year models marking 25 years of Avanti. The 1989 Avanti were given the rally ground effects updates.

Cafaro was noted for making the four door Avanti in 1990, an idea from the original designer, Raymond Loewy. Cafaro concentrated on the four door to the detriment of the original coupe, the company's bread and butter vehicle. Only 90 were made at the Youngstown plant, making them very rare in the marketplace. In 1991 Cafaro went back to building the convertible before the plant was closed later that year.

Michael E. Kelly returns

M. E. Kelly came back in the picture and moved Avanti from Ohio to Georgia in 1999 and produced redesigned Avanti automobiles in Villa Rica, Georgia from 2000 to 2005, before moving to Cancun, Mexico. From 2004, Ford chassis and engines were used. In October 2005 an internet report stated that "Avanti Motors" had "recently announced a new relationship with Ford Motor Company and was planning a big comeback".[9] An internet report in 2006 said Kelly had sold the company in 1988 and repurchased it in 1999 from Cafaro of Ohio; and that the company had established a new factory and showroom in Villa Rica, Georgia. In early 2006, Kelly moved Avanti production to a new plant in Cancun, Mexico, but the company foundered after M. E. Kelly was arrested in December 2006 on fraud counts related to an alleged ponzi scheme in the United States.

The last Avanti to date rolled off the line in Cancun, Mexico in March of 2006. All the Mustang-based Avantis used V-8 engines, with the option of a Ford V-6. Only one 2006 Avanti was built with a Ford V-6 engine. The factory and showroom were emptied in 2011 and have been sold. Many extremely rare Studebaker and Avanti concepts and racing vehicles that were on the second floor of the building in Cancun have been moved elsewhere and/or sold.

My wife's Avanti in June 82;

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-23-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

I remember where I saw and heard about this Blake construction was in the picture.
Thanks for the info
Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

The Wikipedia info listed above has a few errors (such as when the convertible model came about - I have a picture at the South Bend intro in Sept of 86 when Mike Kelly introduced it as an 87 model), but it gives a pretty good history of the Avanti.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

Yep....have a '63 Avanti R1 Air car. Original, not restored (painted yes, chrome redone yes). 99,000 miles. I have had three Avanti's...an '80 Avanti II, an '89 Convertible and the '63. Gets huge attention when driven out and about....more than the '65 Corvette coupe in fact. Here are a few pics:

Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
Yep....have a '63 Avanti R1 Air car. Original, not restored (painted yes, chrome redone yes). 99,000 miles. I have had three Avanti's...an '80 Avanti II, an '89 Convertible and the '63. Gets huge attention when driven out and about....more than the '65 Corvette coupe in fact. Here are a few pics:

That's a beautiful car. Several really nice examples shown above. Thanks for the responses.

Get notified of new replies

To OT - Anyone have an Avanti?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 AM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Beautiful cars ! Loved them since I was a kid. I recently saw 3 of them in a line at a car show. I've never seen more than 1 at a time. lol
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
A very good friend of mine is an eye surgeon and he has an Avanti II which he bought new. I do most of the maintenance on it for him because it is powered by a SB400/Turbo 400.
Several years ago, he had me remove the exhaust system/converter and have it replaced with a true dual exhaust system. He also had me remove all the smog crap and retune it. World of difference in performance.
Nice car . Now he needs to remove the nerf bars
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbybarr

Great color combination and great to see it still has the Studebaker engine in it. Lots of memories seeing Avantis, my dad was a mechanic for Studebaker from 1945 to 1967.

Quick Reply: OT - Anyone have an Avanti?