C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My Go At Using A Razor Blade To Remove Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My Go At Using A Razor Blade To Remove Paint

My 64s body is off the frame and time to get at the paint. I’m a novice but did all the research. Bought my blades and paint stripper from Por 15. Now I gotta tell ya I got nowhere with the razor blades. I can see where it may work on ‘some’ cases but not with my car. If she could laugh it would have giggled its way out of the garage. I’m certainly no paint expert but there are paints and there are paints. In my case, my car has nine layers of it – three of which seem to be hard as rock. It’s like counting rings on a tree trunk. So hard that the guy bead-blasting the wiper grills gave them back to me. Said it needed garnet to remove the paint. So I’ll do that when the frame gets cleaned up.

Using the stripper was the next effort. Again some layers react better than others. Still, it got rid of one, sometimes two layers but with nine layers it was going to take forever and I really don’t like using chemicals all that much. But I did make one discovery. While scraping off some of the stripper, I dug a bit deeper and was able to ‘chip’ more paint off. This led me to actually trying to use a putty knife instead of a razor blade. Set up right it worked surprisingly well. I used the best quality, 1 inch wide knife I could buy. The blade is 1.2mm thick stainless steel. I then squared the end on a belt grinder to get SHARP 90 degree edges on the bottom (I also did the sides) but rounded the corners. That’s the main ingredient – SHARP EDGES on the bottom so you have to sharpen often. Using the knife I was able to remove about 3-4 layers at a time. Have to use a full face shield as those chips hurt like hell! One thing for sure, I’m gonna have some guns after I’m finished!

I also used a heat gun but I found that awkward but useful in some situations.

For the bog that’s on in some places, I used a mechanical paint stripper in a drill to get down to the glass. Gotta be careful there as things can get away from you real quick.

There are still some small areas where I think I’ll take the body to a soda blaster to have him do his magic. But it won’t be much.
While I could have just taken the body to the soda blaster first off, I wanted to do it by myself. That’s what I bought the car for – to work on. That’s what I enjoy.

Bud
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

stripped with razor blade
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 PM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used paint stripper to soften up the paint and razor blade scrapers when it had softened up. Just work sections that aren't to large for the stripper doesn't dry. I also used steel wool and paint thinner on the edges. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To My Go At Using A Razor Blade To Remove Paint

Quick Reply: My Go At Using A Razor Blade To Remove Paint