C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sting Ray T.V. Show 1986

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 PM
coprice-ss
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sting Ray T.V. Show 1986

Still looking for a diffinitive answer as to what the correct year is for the T.V. Sting ray. Again it has 4 tail lights 2 of which are clear, not red. It has a metal finish inner door pull handle but has B-pillar "gill vents" and a black front grill. The grill is correct to '65. But the inner door pull handle and clear back up lights sound like '66. I know there was more than one car used for the show-the "HERO" car and second unit/stunt car. All the cars I've seen on the episodes are almost identicle. HELP! Is it a pieced together '65 or '66?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by coprice-ss
Still looking for a diffinitive answer as to what the correct year is for the T.V. Sting ray. Again it has 4 tail lights 2 of which are clear, not red. It has a metal finish inner door pull handle but has B-pillar "gill vents" and a black front grill. The grill is correct to '65. But the inner door pull handle and clear back up lights sound like '66. I know there was more than one car used for the show-the "HERO" car and second unit/stunt car. All the cars I've seen on the episodes are almost identicle. HELP! Is it a pieced together '65 or '66?
Unless the car itself or someone involved in putting it together can be located, we may never know. Since the car is a mixture of pieces, why is the question so important? Have you bet a kidney on the answer?

Suppose it turned out that it was a '65 body on a '66 frame with a '67 engine? What year would you decide the car is?

It has the B-pillar vents. The show bills it as a '65. The backup lights were available as an option in in '65. The only visible parts which absolutely could not have been present when a '65 left the factory are the metal door pulls. What makes you think that it's not a '65?

Last edited by SI67; 07-25-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 672 Posts

I replied to a different thread on this subject, maybe you had two running at the same time? Back in the mid-80s when the show came out, I read a story on the two or three cars they had set up for the show. One was a 65, the other was a 66 made up to look like a 65, not real hard to do, remember it was Hollywood. I also recall them saying it was an Auto Trans car. I've tried looking for info on it but since computers weren't heavily used back then and the show only lasted a short while, not much seems to be available.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by coprice-ss

Looking on the IMDb website (link), is states that the series was shot here in Calgary Alberta, Canada.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090528/?ref_=tt_trv_cnn

A very good friend who owned the local Corvette shop was the go-to place for repairs, modifications, etc. during the series. I remember there were 2 cars, and IIRC, both automatics. I can't remember the model years. It's possible that neither had VIN tags, as they were not registered for street driving, and may have been trailered around from location to location.

They fabricated a special bracket installed near the rocker cover on one to mount the camera. I should give John a call, to see how much of the details he remembers.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingra...C_TV_series%29
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hey...? Aren't those the Western turbine wheels and not real knock offs? :http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...1&d=1406466433

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 10-20-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sting Ray T.V. Show 1986

Quick Reply: Sting Ray T.V. Show 1986