C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pertronix Dist Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
docent
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Pertronix Dist Upgrade

Hi all - My 63 came with the Pertronix Dist Upgrade. I found this out, when I took my car to the carb man, to get my stock carb rebuilt.
When I picked it up, he told me I had the Pertronix ignition installed instead of points. He recommended, that I should change my spark plugs, and spark plug wires. He also said something to the effect -that my vacuum wasn't working correctly, because of the Pertronix.
Does that make any sense? I took the car for a carb rebuilt, (stock carb AFB - "C" series"), because when I let off the clutch to move, it felt like the accelerator pump in the carb, wasn't working correctly. It would start to "choke" while releasing the clutch. Now, I think it would be the Pertronix that is not letting the vacuum work . Can the Pertronix effect the vacuum? Any input would be appreciated
Old 08-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

No.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:32 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by docent
Hi all - My 63 came with the Pertronix Dist Upgrade. I found this out, when I took my car to the carb man, to get my stock carb rebuilt.
When I picked it up, he told me I had the Pertronix ignition installed instead of points. He recommended, that I should change my spark plugs, and spark plug wires. He also said something to the effect -that my vacuum wasn't working correctly, because of the Pertronix.
Does that make any sense? I took the car for a carb rebuilt, (stock carb AFB - "C" series"), because when I let off the clutch to move, it felt like the accelerator pump in the carb, wasn't working correctly. It would start to "choke" while releasing the clutch. Now, I think it would be the Pertronix that is not letting the vacuum work . Can the Pertronix effect the vacuum? Any input would be appreciated
Yes, if they installed it with too long of a mounting screw, or have the exit wires pulled taught in the grommet. Either of these two could limit, or not allow the breaker plat to move correctly.

Pull the dist cap up enough to peek in at the breaker plate and hook a vacuum tool to the vacuum module. Pump p the vac tool and watch for free movement and full range of travel.

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix Dist Upgrade

Quick Reply: Pertronix Dist Upgrade