C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Just need to vent!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Just need to vent!

I know, I know with all the tragedy in the world the last thing I should get upset about is a Corvette. I just don't know what the right decision is or if I really have a decision at all. We agreed on price a year and a half ago, but I might have agreed to a higher price than what it's worth. Anyway, I did and every time I try to lock down a date to take the car it never happens. No problem, I wanted to drag it out to save as much money as possible. So in June I get pressured that the car needs to be gone by July so I clean out the garage, figure out the best financial option and ready to go. I was told my idea was not good because I was going to purchase it, put it on dollys and store it all winter to save money and repair it in the spring. Nope, not a good idea the current owner wants to see it running down the road now even though it has sit since 1992 with no plugs. So he wanted to loan me $5k off the price to get it going now. I didn't want to do that, but thought I had a good idea. I would purchase the car minus $5k for repairs and see where we are once the car is done. Thinking if it takes $2k then I will gladly pay the extra $5k, but if that motor is gonna need rebuilt along with everything else $5k off would have been good for both sides. So after picking his mind he thinks it's worth $7k more than our original price running down the road. I told him go have the work done and I will gladly pay the extra $7k, but that is not going to happen. I guess I feel I have worked at this purchase for 2 years and it's all going to crap! Have any of you worked so hard at getting a car just to have it blow up in your face? Honestly, I don't mind not getting it, but I don't really want someone else to get it because of the time I have put in. That may seem childish but I'm telling the truth. At all costs I don't want to lose my friendship with the guy and half of me thinks he is gonna be upset if I don't buy it. Anybody got some cheese for all this wine?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 464 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Vent

Give him the money you agreed on and take it home. Forget about the extras.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

a lot of project cars are worth more up and running, than static
Originally Posted by Boyan
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Go there with a truck and trailer, the original asking price in cash, and tell him like it is. Your there to take the car, here is the cash, let's load it up.. If not drive away, and never look back. All that time you spend waiting for this car, can be spent looking for another one. They exist. Even if it's an L88, ZL1, Fuelie, or the rare small block car with a big block hood!!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396
Go there with a truck and trailer, the original asking price in cash, and tell him like it is. Your there to take the car, here is the cash, let's load it up.. If not drive away, and never look back. All that time you spend waiting for this car, can be spent looking for another one. They exist. Even if it's an L88, ZL1, Fuelie, or the rare small block car with a big block hood!!
There's your answer. Sounds like the seller does not really want to sell, so he's inventing all sorts of conditions and reasons why it should be delayed. Do just what was suggested - go with cash and a trailer. Tell the guy "Today is the last day you will see me. Do I go home with this cash, or with the car?"

You obviously already know it, but once you make the purchase it's none of his business whether you fix it, put it up on blocks, or shove it off a cliff.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
Time to end this agony. If you can't buy this one NOW, start looking for another one. And, yes, I've worked on a deal for buying a Midyear for almost two years and had it fall through; life goes on.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

I know, I know with all the tragedy in the world the last thing I should get upset about is a Corvette.
By the way - if it was a forum about global life and sadness, this is nothing. But since this is a Corvette forum, it's entirely acceptable to be PO'd and upset about this. The guy is yanking your chain something fierce and we can all sympathize with what you're feeling.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

You had a deal with him to begin with so, IMO your "friend" sounds like he's not much of a man of his word.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

This guy is no friend, he is someone you know. A deal is a deal. If he reneges, Be done with him.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Tell him to stuff IT !!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

He probably thinks that a year and half ago he agreed to a price LOWER than it was worth, and the deal looks worse to him now that the market for corvettes has continued to improve. But, I feel like I started this book on Chapter 10 instead of the beginning. Was there another thread that I missed that explains how we got here?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Good advice.

As far as "friends" go, if he is around whenever you work on the car or get it running he'll be telling you what to do and how to do it, because in his mind it's still his car even though he's already spent your money.

Whenever I sell a car I really enjoyed I would prefer to never see it again because it will always be "my car" on my perverted little mind. And any modifications or repairs I don't agree with would be painfull to see.

Last edited by Randy G.; 08-06-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Really

Growing up, my mom used to tell us, S**t or get off the pot. I think it applies here. Jerry
Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Just move on. Corvettes are not rare. Lots of them are for sale at any given time.

Richard Newton
Straight Axle Stuff
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Whenever I sell a car I really enjoyed I would prefer to never see it again because it will always be "my car" on my perverted little mind. And any modifications or repairs I don't agree with would be painfull to see.
Man, ain't THAT the truth. I would love to find my old '59 some day. I bought it in July 1967 and sold it in May 1968 - a blink of the eye in that car's life. But somehow I still think of it as MY Vette as if I have some special tie to it that all the other owners before and after me don't.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

IMO, the seller is emotionally attached to the car and may not be able to let go. I went through a similar circumstance on a 63 auto cross car. There was always a reason or a price change and never did get the car. In the end it was an emotional attachment. I made a friend but 3 years of teasing. You are better off to find out now and if this is not going to work (without conditions) then walk and find another car.

Last edited by 65 fi; 08-06-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Just move on. Corvettes are not rare. Lots of them are for sale at any given time.

Richard Newton
Straight Axle Stuff
This is pretty much the bottom line.

Seems like there's a lot more to that story that isn't told, but I'd never waste 2 years messing around with a purchase. These cars are all over the place. And upping the price on me would end the conversation, as would some sort of demand that the car be a certain way if/when you buy it.

Either call and and say yes or no today, or show up with a trailer and say now or never, at our agreed price. If not, forget about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Just need to vent!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

You seem more concerned about the friendship than he is.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
I know, I know with all the tragedy in the world the last thing I should get upset about is a Corvette. I just don't know what the right decision is or if I really have a decision at all. We agreed on price a year and a half ago, but I might have agreed to a higher price than what it's worth. Anyway, I did and every time I try to lock down a date to take the car it never happens. No problem, I wanted to drag it out to save as much money as possible. So in June I get pressured that the car needs to be gone by July so I clean out the garage, figure out the best financial option and ready to go. I was told my idea was not good because I was going to purchase it, put it on dollys and store it all winter to save money and repair it in the spring. Nope, not a good idea the current owner wants to see it running down the road now even though it has sit since 1992 with no plugs. So he wanted to loan me $5k off the price to get it going now. I didn't want to do that, but thought I had a good idea. I would purchase the car minus $5k for repairs and see where we are once the car is done. Thinking if it takes $2k then I will gladly pay the extra $5k, but if that motor is gonna need rebuilt along with everything else $5k off would have been good for both sides. So after picking his mind he thinks it's worth $7k more than our original price running down the road. I told him go have the work done and I will gladly pay the extra $7k, but that is not going to happen. I guess I feel I have worked at this purchase for 2 years and it's all going to crap! Have any of you worked so hard at getting a car just to have it blow up in your face? Honestly, I don't mind not getting it, but I don't really want someone else to get it because of the time I have put in. That may seem childish but I'm telling the truth. At all costs I don't want to lose my friendship with the guy and half of me thinks he is gonna be upset if I don't buy it. Anybody got some cheese for all this wine?
If the guy I bought my 63 conv from had said the originally agreed upon price was higher than what we agreed upon, well, he would still own his car. How can someone who is a friend do this? I would walk if he pushed a higher price. Sounds like he is playing into the emotional attachment we all get with these cars. It's just plastic and metal, and there are others out there that will be better deals, believe me. I spent 12 years looking for mine, and no it aint perfect, but I drove it home feeling good about it all. Good luck no matter what you decide, but don't let him make you feel like he is doing you any favors for asking a higher price.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

This deal makes no sense.

Quick Reply: Just need to vent!