C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
tell me more about the gas tank fill. Does the car have the standard 16 gallon tank? Or something larger like a 24 gallon larger tank. If the later, it is very rare.
That's the first thing that I saw!!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Good luck with your project. Seems we have a lot in common to include living in the city that makes the best chicken fried steak in the world!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:21 PM
mausny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't wait to finish this car!!

so I will do a few more detailed Pictures before I really start pulling the parts off. I have a repair manual and a blown up drawing of the wiring. Going to pull the motor and trans out this week and then work on the suspension and brakes while the motor is being worked on. Then it will be safer to roll it around, and trailer it if needed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mausny; 08-11-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM
mausny
Advanced

Default motor is out!!

So I have the motor out, The headers in so tight I didn't get them out until the motor was pulled. I labeled all the wiring the best I could so its easy to reinstall. So the front drums are coming off. I already ordered a KIT for front disc. Now I'm looking for a new bushing kit and tie rods. Any suggestions on where to get parts??
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

NAPA has them. Or any of the corvette vendors offer the parts. I had a set of new king pin bushing pressed in and fitted correctly.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 AM
mausny
Advanced

Is there a link on the forums that shows how and what to check when removing the body off my 1960 frame. I'm an average mechanic looking for some tips. Or if you live in the Magnolia TX area and want to come help I will supply the beer!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Texas NCRS Chapter

Originally Posted by mausny
Is there a link on the forums that shows how and what to check when removing the body off my 1960 frame. I'm an average mechanic looking for some tips. Or if you live in the Magnolia TX area and want to come help I will supply the beer!
The National Corvette Restorers Society (NCRS) has the best resources you are looking for in either books of knowledge to people. And the TEXAS CHAPTER is one of the best out there. Look at www.ncrs.org and specifically, http://www.ncrs.org/contact/index.php for help in finding people close to you.

You need to slow down a bit, get educated quickly, and then proced with caution and help of others. It will save you lots of money and frustration.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:05 AM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

Very cool!If you want a reference for what were 60-70s period go fast parts, let me know. My late father, Jack Frost, had a mail order speed shop business that specialized in Corvettes (Hypo Inc, aka Action Performance) based out of Iowa. I still have a some of his old catalogs from the 1960s-70s, and I could scan select pages if you need them to get an idea of what were period HP aftermarket parts.

I agree with the idea of just driving it around for a year, get it sorted out, and then paint it. Less chance of getting bogged down in the redo process with no fun to show for it. You can just claim it is a rat rod in the meantime. I believe the "bass boat" paint reference meant things like crazy colors in metalflake or "spider web" patterns. That would be more correct for a street/drag racer. I know- I helped my cousin Davey paint a bunch of my dad's drag and street cars in the 60s-70s in those wild patterns.

Marc in Indy
Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 128racecar
Very cool!If you want a reference for what were 60-70s period go fast parts, let me know. My late father, Jack Frost, had a mail order speed shop business that specialized in Corvettes (Hypo Inc, aka Action Performance) based out of Iowa. I still have a some of his old catalogs from the 1960s-70s, and I could scan select pages if you need them to get an idea of what were period HP aftermarket parts.

I agree with the idea of just driving it around for a year, get it sorted out, and then paint it. Less chance of getting bogged down in the redo process with no fun to show for it. You can just claim it is a rat rod in the meantime. I believe the "bass boat" paint reference meant things like crazy colors in metalflake or "spider web" patterns. That would be more correct for a street/drag racer. I know- I helped my cousin Davey paint a bunch of my dad's drag and street cars in the 60s-70s in those wild patterns.

Marc in Indy
I agree. Leave the body alone. You will get more enjoyment out of the car ''as it is''. My only recommendation to join NCRS is the get the knowledge about the car ''CORVETTE'' and find people that can help you with restoration of driveline, and chassis etc. The NABERS BROTHERS , one of the major Corvette restoration shops in the county are right near you in Houston. Look them up and drive over for an educational afternoon. You will lean a lot.

Last edited by jimgessner; 10-04-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:47 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

LOOK AT IMAGE #814. SAVE THE WAVE

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587717245
Old 10-03-2014, 12:04 AM
mausny
Advanced

Default update

So the body is almost ready to come off to get put on a dolly a made. Bringing the body to a friends shop to fix all the little cracks and weak fiberglass sections. going to get it primmer and then put back on the restored rolling chassie.

Front Disc brakes kit has come in. going to the dual piston brake cylinder with all new pre bent brake lines. changing out the bushings and new tie rods in the front as well. Was thinking the Bilstein Gas shocks for the front and rear. The rears right now are air bag shocks but I didn't know they had air bagged shocks in the 60s. either way they seem to still hold air so I may just keep em.

question? my motor will be done soon and want to know what kind of ignition should I run. It has a Mallory now but not sure if its still good. want to get new and also get rid of the generator. what's your guys's thoughts.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:32 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default First you have to tell us whether

You are looking for the drag look from the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's etc.. so we can chime in!

Ps I would actually suggest sawing off that nose flush to the headlight length for a drag look! Or if you have to have that nose job stay, then I would suggest a Bonneville Dry lake racer look with Moon dishes and lakester side pipes, exotic intake setup, etc etc.! To me, that body line looks more top end racer, than going DRAG!

Ps also being NCRS doesn't make them any smarter than the rest of us Corvette forum mere mortals!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-03-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 AM
mausny
Advanced

Default The look

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
You are looking for the drag look from the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's etc.. so we can chime in!

Ps I would actually suggest sawing off that nose flush to the headlight length for a drag look! Or if you have to have that nose job stay, then I would suggest a Bonneville Dry lake racer look with Moon dishes and lakester side pipes, exotic intake setup, etc etc.! To me, that body line looks more top end racer, than going DRAG!

Ps also being NCRS doesn't make them any smarter than the rest of us Corvette forum mere mortals!

Thanks for the feed back. I would like to keep the long nose because you just don't see this anymore. I want get the lower racer stance with wide tires. The 60 gasser sat up a little to high for my liking. No side pipes. I want a clean no badges or crazy paint job. I do want a two tone but not standard colors. The motor is almost done, it has the orange block paint on it the intake is elderbrock along with the carb. Msd ignition and I'm looking to get a alternator installed in stead of the generator. I want to modernize some things. The interior is staying all black and close to stock look but putting hidden speakers in the kick panels.
Not sure if I will keep the rims and similar new tires or go with a new larger design. I need to see if the rims fit with disc brake conversion.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
Good luck with your project. Seems we have a lot in common to include living in the city that makes the best chicken fried steak in the world!
Yeah? Do tell...
Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Old skool

You gotta distress the look of the motor a bit. No perfect paint. I like the idea of white headers or even the whole exhaust. I would look for a vintage intake system like mentioned that would look awesome!
Boyan
Old 10-04-2014, 11:57 PM
mausny
Advanced

Default Old intake!

Originally Posted by Boyan
You gotta distress the look of the motor a bit. No perfect paint. I like the idea of white headers or even the whole exhaust. I would look for a vintage intake system like mentioned that would look awesome!
Boyan
I do! I have a elderbrock Torker 2 intake,Cal custom valve covers, hooker headers. I like the painted headers. I post pick of the motor soon.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:05 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

You have one of those really cool XP700-style front ends. AIR all or most of them were made by Acme Fiberglass in San Francisco, see their ads in early-'60s car magazines. Kinda doubt they're still around.

Last edited by sub006; 10-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look

Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default More

Originally Posted by sub006
You have one of those really cool XP700-style front ends. AIR all or most of them were made by Acme Fiberglass in San Francisco, see their ads in early-'60s car magazines. Kinda doubt theyre stils around.
This nose listed for $390, without hood! Their address was 790 Golden Gate, SF., CA. They sold two-- complete front end or you could glass on the 1/2 front end that started at the middle of front wheels. It went on stock 58 and newer C1's but there was a splash panel to adapt to earlier 54-57.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I have an early-'60s memory of an afternoon standing on a street corner in El Modena, watching hot rods coming back from Irvine Park. This gold, bubble-topped, hoodless creation with a big chrome engine sticking up was crawling along among the pack going west on Chapman Avenue.

I believe this was the first time I heard open exhaust on the street.

For decades I thought maybe it was Ed Roth in one of his toys, but now I'm prettty sure it must have been a "kustom" C1 with the Acme front end. Any other Orange County natives recall it?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 AM
mausny
Advanced

Default Acme

Originally Posted by sub006
I have an early-'60s memory of an afternoon standing on a street corner in El Modena, watching hot rods coming back from Irvine Park. This gold, bubble-topped, hoodless creation with a big chrome engine sticking up was crawling along among the pack going west on Chapman Avenue.

I believe this was the first time I heard open exhaust on the street.

For decades I thought maybe it was Ed Roth in one of his toys, but now I'm prettty sure it must have been a "kustom" C1 with the Acme front end. Any other Orange County natives recall it?

There is no sign of fiberglass cut in by the wheel well. It seems I have a full kit or it's under the doors. I have a 60 vin stamped on the steering shaft. The rear end looses more like a 59' from what I'm told. The air bag rear shocks are from the 60's era so I'm amazed this car has this on there. The hood is different from a stock one. This is a very interesting build. Thanks again for the feed back.

Quick Reply: 1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look