C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:51 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
But even though I am mainly interested in Companies, Shops, Dealerships, Advertising, Drivers, Manufacturers, Cars, Racing, Cruising Boulevards, Drag Racing, tracks, history of the Goodyear Blimps or anything that happened out here in California I do find stuff on Cars in general in the US about the same things and I do learn things from reading other peoples posts and getting information that helps me learn about things that I don't know.

This car was a California front end kit, so I had notes on such, as well as Fiberfab, Devin and a lot of others. Somewhere I have the Fiberfab and Devin literature from the peak of their manufacturing here in California along with like Fiberglass Trends and more.

Also Jim I never take a slam at you and appreciate your knowledge and assist to the overall hobby, etc. and pay you back a compliment, but I do push for wider access to records and sharing. I know the car Owner's are the origin of the info that goes onto the Race car Registry and when I see someone working to profit on selling a car followed by posting up stuff that is false or fabricated will set me off at times and three of those have gotten stuff indirectly from stuff I shared publically. Might I suggest similar to the standards of Gold, Silver certifications something similar where all suspected race cars get posted but in tiered categories (Cars with Proven histories/documention, Cars with some history/documentation links, Cars suspected to be, Cars etc..

Therefore I initially made an effort to help enthusiast and started off like a Champ even helping some of your people that you pointed my way, and helped quite a number of other people with something about their race cars or suspected race cars, but I now really pick who I help carefully and now completely in private, but only if they are sharing back is the only thing expected to be exchanged! Therefore guys, I now mostly pick stupid threads to start or I get into some of the tech conversations or helping or just throw in like on threads like this and now stay away from the real sharing of topics related to the racing and slaloms, etc.. which is unfortunate and one day maybe I will change my mind of it again! The last was the Purple People Eaters where I started to, but that got irritating and I jumped out but left a clue to follow, hit the eject button! Back to the guys for profit, if their claims were posted that they believe, or are researching or have a suspected link or qualify their claim, then I am fine with that. Heck I even did something funky to my own car to get it Road registered legal back in 1984. Because when I bought the old race car not suspecting that I would have problems, California won't let it on the highway initially. I did check that it wasn't stolen etc. prior to buying it, but was too young and not knowledgeable on getting something Salvaged titled, etc.. and bought it just on it being cool and it actually has a switch labeled ejection left/right that I will show everyone- one of these days! Now it hurts my own chain of former Owners. I do think the registry of other Marques like Cobra, Ferrari, Porsche guys etc.. has been very public about the VINs and thus ultimately it protects the authenticity of their cars better than the Corvette identities have been protected. Even this unique car in this thread, probably should end up somewhere on a list, because it definitely was a styling trend that ended up on Corvettes and was not a one off home creation, but an advertised Corvette specific product. I think like with the Baldwin Motion cars, you have three levels of cars built by Baldwin or with Baldwin stuff, 1. Cars Baldwin Built, 2. Customers that took cars to Baldwin for modifications, and then #3 the cars build at home by enthusiast where they ordered Baldwin Motion products. This would create 3 distinct levels of desirability and rarity.

PS an article on the GM prototype with this front end and the side pipes talked about was in Motor Trend in the 1960 year. That was the cover car of that issue. And one is listed on Ebay, I just checked if you are wanting some reference to the GM built one.

And for an actual memory of seeing or remembering one of these on the Streets of Socal back in the day, nothing comes up. But looking this thing over, does give me a thought that one of these should have been in the Tony Curtis Johnny Dark movie. On those types of movies-- from Johnny Dark to Herbie the Love Bug, to the Elvis Presley movies, I love trying to id all of the cars!
A lot of changes are in progress with the REGISTRY. See our new face changed October 1, 2014. www.registryofcorvetteracecars.com
Old 10-18-2014, 03:37 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

But looking this thing over, does give me a thought that one of these should have been in the Tony Curtis Johnny Dark movie.
AIR "Johnny Dark" was released in 1954, the XP700 in 1960 and the Acme front end around 1962. But I agree with your sentiment.

Speaking of Elvis movies, I remember participating in a CF thread about "Clambake" last year. I am satisfied that the original Sting Ray racer, painted red, was used in the title and opening (gas station) sequences. Most of the film exteriors were shot in Florida, and I believe owner Bill Mitchell kept the car at his winter home in Florida by then.

But there is a scene of Elvis driving with co-star Shelley Fabares in that car, and the background indicates they are traveling southbound on Vista Del Mar (furthest street directly to the west of LAX, the Pacific Ocean is a few hundred feet further). The receding skyline of Santa Monica is seen clearly in the background.

I've always wondered if they blue-screen shot the actors and car in Florida, then process-added the background footage back in Hollywood.

IMO, no way did they ship the original Sting Ray to California and back, but a Centurion or Bruno GS replica could have been lightly modified and painted red around the cockpit to film this sequence on the back of a moving truck in L.A.

It's worth watching the start of the movie to see the now-priceless Sting Ray being driven on the street, almost 50 years ago.

The brief, questionable-to-me sequence is in the last half of the movie. Any opinions?

Last edited by sub006; 10-18-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Yes, I seen that movie a few times and didn't remember when it was released.

I do think the long nosed Sports Racing Cars of the 1950's probably influenced this nose! Such cars like the Maserati 450 S or Ferrari 375 MM, Cunningham C cars! Sub006, I always enjoy your posts and others

PS I am not sure I have Clambake recorded, so send me the tape! My guess from memory would be what car ended up getting ran off of the road in the movie, since they weren't going to put a real Cobra in the drink! And then when he got her back, we know it wasn't a real Ferrari that went for a swim! I know I identified those already, but just don't remember without watching again!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-20-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
mausny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

The body is in the trailer ready to be drop off today at the shop. Going to fix the stress cracks and few other rough areas. Still not sure on a color but will be doing black in the side tear drop and hard top will match. I like the charcoal grey color.

The rolling chassis is getting blasted at the house soon and then all new rubber bushings, tie rods, and shocks will be fitted. The new front disc brake kit will be added with all new brake lines and master cylinder.

The motor should be done around Thanksgiving. This will give me time to strip primer paint and rebuild the rolling chassis. The drive shaft will be sanded and repainted, transmission is getting cleaned up.

I hope to have the body done by Christmas.

I know you guys have told me to go slow and do it right. I'm doing the best I can with the budget I have and the time frame to have the car ready for the wedding. Like I said before this car is the reason why my aunt starting talking and dating my aunt. My uncle who passed away in 99 left me this car and my aunt doesn't know I will have the car ready for my wedding next year. This will mean so much to her and to me.

I still believe this was an Acme body kit with all the bumpers removed and body holes fiberglass over, its a 1960 frame, 64 motor and transmission, 63 GM passenger rear end, and lots of cool aftermarket street racing parts on it.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Paint

Do a heavy metal flake with plain white coves! Purple, Candy Apple Red, Tangerine Orange or similar to give it the right vibe! You might even look at like the schwinn Stingray bike colors for ideas! Like Coppertone etc..

Actually you are moving right along I think!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

TCracingCA,

I'd like to PM you with a question, but the site says you can't accept any more messages until you clear some. Todd
Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 PM
sub006
Race Director

I do think the long nosed Sports Racing Cars of the 1950's probably influenced this nose! Such cars like the Maserati 450 S or Ferrari 375 MM, Cunningham C cars! Sub006, I always enjoy your posts and others

PS I am not sure I have Clambake recorded, so send me the tape! My guess from memory would be what car ended up getting ran off of the road in the movie, since they weren't going to put a real Cobra in the drink! And then when he got her back, we know it wasn't a real Ferrari that went for a swim! I know I identified those already, but just don't remember without watching again!
"Clambake" was about BOAT racing, maybe you're thinking of "Spinout?" And AIR a British car (Jaguar?) was run off-course in the "Viva Las Vegas" Nevada open-road race.

Remember that many cars we prize today were just junk used cars in the '60s. Dean Jeffries was GIVEN a Maserati Formula 1 car, whose chassis he used to build the Manta Ray. I forget the Frankie/Annette movie title THAT one appeared in.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I guess I am overdue for

Spending a refresher course on Elvis Movies! My favorite will always be Viva Las Vegas, where he is down in Acapulco and a singing cliff diving waiter! All kinds of cars in that one as he is driving away at the end with the hillbilly gals in the Army jeep! Yep, my favorite then has to be Viva Las Vegas!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:48 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Usually

Originally Posted by Todd H.
TCracingCA,

I'd like to PM you with a question, but the site says you can't accept any more messages until you clear some. Todd
Wherever or whatever thread I am hanging out in, is where I usually do most of my chatting during a slow down of the action or while waiting for an OP to post an update. I am so tired of trying to clear emails. Everyone of those is all clogged up and also I just like to say whatever most times, publically! And yes, I don't research for hire, but sometimes can add something for someone or their car! And I don't sell my stuff and I especially don't loan things out-- especially tools! I did have that one Harry Mann 1990's frame that I bought based on someone else asking me if I could grab it for them, having talked about what it was and what they pay, to have that enthusiast cheater back out of their obligation, so I hired a hit man for therapy! But I hate selling, so that is sitting around now as garage art, because I have my two originals from my old 1967 Ermine White Rallysport black vinyl top Z-28 that I had from Mann. Now I am thinking of building a replica of my old car and mount it in a box with a clear license plate sized piece of plexiglass under the Harry Mann frame as a display case! Usually those are the two areas (selling or researching) that I get emailed on! Ask away, as long as it isn't embarrassing!

The OP was sending the car out for body work and the last I suggested was looking at the Schwinn Bicycle colors. I think every kid or adult growing up in that era has a subliminal reaction when they now see those colors! It would be really cool to do it on a car! But do not do banana seat upholstery and no sissy bars!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-22-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

What I want to ask does not pertain to this thread or mausny's cool car. Maybe I'll start a new one. I like your car, mausny. Sounds like you have great plans for it.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM
mausny
Advanced

Default body work and other pics

I have working hard on getting the body fixed up and in the mean time getting the transmission checked out and cleaned up.
The drive shaft didn't have any weights on it?????should it have???
I have that painted the chevy orange.
my new holley 3310 came in. (750cc carb)

So the rear license plate got boxed in and fiber glassed.

The gas tank door was originally glassed in by my uncle but we had to re do it.

The rear fenders had a copper bar glassed in that gave that curve. Both sides had damage so we sanded down both sides and glassed in a even rolled lip. will get better pictures once were completed.
Attached Images    
Old 11-07-2014, 04:49 PM
mausny
Advanced

rubber or poly motor and transmission mounts?????
Old 11-07-2014, 05:51 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I always use

Lakewood Motor Mounts because they have the lock up!

And then I prefer the stock rubber on the tranny mount. I am not a fan of anything poly!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:43 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

At one time I was a fan of Poly. No longer. It just doesn't hold up and it takes a set. Poly is a real waste of time and money.

Richard
Old 11-08-2014, 12:01 AM
sub006
Race Director

Spending a refresher course on Elvis Movies! My favorite will always be Viva Las Vegas, where he is down in Acapulco and a singing cliff diving waiter! All kinds of cars in that one as he is driving away at the end with the hillbilly gals in the Army jeep! Yep, my favorite then has to be Viva Las Vegas!
Sorry, mixed 'em up again.

The cliff-diving movie was "Fun in Acapulco" AIR.

The thing most GUYS remember about "Viva Las Vegas" is Ann Margret!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:28 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default you know I just joke around alot!

Originally Posted by sub006
Sorry, mixed 'em up again.

The cliff-diving movie was "Fun in Acapulco" AIR.

The thing most GUYS remember about "Viva Las Vegas" is Ann Margret!
And I would take an Elva MK6 and go cruising with Ann margaret! or would I pick all of the girls dancing around the jeep, where Elvis's twin brother made a cameo role!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 AM
mausny
Advanced

Choosing rubber for both motor and trans. The rear cross member had to be replaced. The original one has some rust and flexes to much for me to want to try a repair. For 360 bucks I bought a new one. Going to finish cleaning up the frame this weekend and then primer and paint.

The body is doing great, about to get primmer soon. will post pics!

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look

Old 11-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Keep the pics coming man! You have a lot of "virtual" buddies that are rootin for your on this project. Its one of the few I am actively following and we love to get updates!

Whoo Hooo!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:37 PM
mausny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Revfan
Keep the pics coming man! You have a lot of "virtual" buddies that are rootin for your on this project. Its one of the few I am actively following and we love to get updates!

Whoo Hooo!
Here is some pictures of the transmission and tag, The frame has some rust on the rear cross member so I had to order a new one last week. The drive shaft was the chevy orange so I sanded it down put new u joints in it and painted
Attached Images      
Old 11-15-2014, 12:40 PM
mausny
Advanced

Default more pics

more pictures
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look